Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows XP and the Microsoft agenda - can it get worse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP and the Microsoft agenda - can it get worse?

Hi!

I read a lot of forum/article stuff about XP lately, and I ask: Can it get worse?

All those little Windows people are that glad: Oh, my Windows doesn´t crash all the time. An OS that doesn´t crash regularly is such a big feat? Ever heard of a well-administered Linux/Unix or an Apple iMac (out of the box).

If you didn´t miss it all, you´ve heard about Smart Tags "feature" (Microsoft can alter the content of web pages to add "information"
    (advertisment)). It was so controversial it was disabled.

Or Passport ? Give your personal data, eCommerce info etc. to a MS database for quicker eCommerce. Well you are encouraged to do this evry time you log onto the web. And hackers stage contests and regularly exploit security holes in the server.

Or the poor MP3 support. But the proprietary Windows Media File works well.

Besides, you need a high-end computer to run the Translucent Desktop feature (and a rather good one for normal mode of operation). Should an OS really use up most of the available ressources only for being there?

Not to mention the affair about commercial licenses (which is resolved now: business can stick with Win2000 still) or that microsoft based services now are dropping support or denying service for browsers like Netscape or Opera, for example at MSN MSNBC, Hotmail. Or the fact, that participating in MS´Shared Source initiative means they can sue you, if you use participating programmers in non-Windows or GPL projects, because they "could" copy MS code? Or the Frontpage license, which prohibits MS-unfriendly content written with the HTML editor?

Well, monopolism is the game, Windows XP stands for Xtra Proprietary. All MS strategy is based on using its desktop OS monopoly to gain a monopoly in the server business and web services as well, because the OS cash cow is running dry.

I clearly see the Bush administration already has some very important tasks to tackle with. But pro-industry politics and the influence of lobbyists will not make the US or Western World a safer place either.

Computer viruses regularly exploit security holes in MS IE, or MS IIS web server, or Outlook. The desktop monoculture is already a threat to the web, and MS is limiting freedom of choice evry day more, with new incompatible propietary formats, prohibitive licenses and rushed-out bad code.

Just a simple reminder who you are dealing with.

See as well: XP draws fire from Mac, Linux, even DOS faithful at zdnet.com or MS dirty OEM secret or MSN.com shuts out non-Microsoft browsers
    or
    Windows XP: EXtra Proprietary
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely belive they are free. (Goethe)

Read especially this article already mentioned above:Microsoft's Dirty OEM-Secret . It will tell you, why can´t buy a computer with Windows installed and another OS like Linux included (because of MS´license policies).

Windows XP: EXtra Proprietary will explain, what features of new Windows XP are threatening to expand MS monopoly further.
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely belive they are free. (Goethe)

Comment

Comment

Good post Korpo Thanks
        “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
        Or do we?

Comment

Windows XP: EXtra Proprietary will explain, what features of new Windows XP are threatening to expand MS monopoly further

Okay...

Microsoft's proprietary MSN network. On top of this, Microsoft also has specially tuned its MSN.com site to reject connections from non-Microsoft browsers, including Netscape, Mozilla and Opera.

False, I have Mozilla open, looking at MSN.com right now.

One of the most controversial new eXtra Proprietary technologies is Windows Media.

Real simple, don't use WMP for mp3's. On the other hand, .wma files are pretty convient to quickly rip a cd to a smaller, equally good format.

The result is that PCs have become much more powerful, but not much cheaper nor much more functional.

next

Another eXtra Proprietary feature is Passport
          Don't sign up for it. I did actually, incase someone might need help (using Remote Assistance, I can do that), and low and behold, I'm not any worse for wear.

Michael Tiemann is the chief technical officer of Red Hat.

Of course...
          "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

Thanks, blackice!

Well, till now we keep it 50:50, I guess.

I found another article about security holes in Windows / Outlook, and their consequences.

The article is strongly partial in tone, but rests on a sound foundation..

Leveraging Linux

Comment

to some extent, it's true. don't be such a wiseass.

MS allowed non-IE browsers to view its site only after people (specifically competitors and business users) started to make some noise about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle
                Not false, they changed it back after getting massive heat over it.

Keep up on what's happening at Opera by following our latest public announcements.

Keep up on what's happening at Opera by following our latest public announcements.
                We are the apt, you will be packaged.

Comment

Microsoft's inaccuracy no. 1:

When we developed the site, we tested it against the most popular browsers on the market.

Opera, the third largest browser on the Web, with millions of users, was obviously forgotten along with other rival browsers.

Microsoft's inaccuracy no. 2:

After receiving complaints from people who reported problems accessing the site, we looked into this issue further and determined that we had wrongly classified some browsers as "unknown."

What Microsoft really was doing, was revealed early last week in an article by Sandeep Junnarkar and Joe Wilcox of News.com: Microsoft admitted that its technology was watching for Opera strings... (Source: news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-7660935.html) Thus, Microsoft had not classified some browsers as "unknown" by accident; they were deliberately targeting at least Opera users.

Microsoft's inaccuracy no. 3:

We have now fixed this problem, enabling everyone to access MSN.com... We want to make sure that anyone can take advantage of the great services on MSN, regardless of which browser they are using. MSN.com will be available to everyone, effective immediately.

Opera users are still denied access to some MSN's services. An example is Carpoint.com, a part of the MSN portal. Opera users identifying their browsers as Opera are still told Microsoft Carpoint that contains the latest new- and used-car features cannot be viewed using this browser. If the Opera users change their browser identification to "MSIE 5", easily done by changing the preference in File > Preferences > Networking > Browser Identification, they can gain access to Carpoint like any other browser. So, to use the service, Opera users have to mask as Internet Explorer users. MSN.com is clearly not available to everyone.

Microsoft's inaccuracy no. 4:

...We wish to reiterate our strong support for the Web specifications developed and supported by the World Wide Web Consortium and the software industry.

Users who try to test MSN.com at the W3C's site for validation, validator.w3.org, will find that many pages on MSN.com do not validate.
                  Microsoft's first excuse to not accept other browsers was that other browsers did not support XHTML, according to Sandeep Junkar in News.com (news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-7655334.html) As a rebuttal to this claim, Opera made a relevant press release available in W3C-compliant XHTML on its Web site: www.opera.com/pressreleases/xhtml/20011026.xml. As any visitor can check for himself, Opera reads it perfectly, as opposed to Internet Explorer for Windows.
                  I hope now we will see a change where action matches the words, and that Microsoft starts to actively support the international standards and gets their pages to work with other browsers instead of closing the door, says Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera Software. Microsoft has broken the Internet's golden rule that all Web sites should be accessible to all, no matter what browser or operating system they are using.
                  you MS zealots are so goddamned full of it.

Comment

I thank Yog-Sothoth and Wiglaf for their quick and accurate response.

Though some of my ressources seem to be dated, the basic aim is clear: proprietary technology, license tricks and extortion-like business style still seem to be the backbone of MS activity.

Comment

Originally posted by Yog-Sothoth

Not false, they changed it back after getting massive heat over it.

http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/20011101.html

Yeah, I know about that. The implication of that article was that it was still going on. Didn't check the date of it.
                      "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

I find it always funny, if people mention incompatibilities of other Office software like OpenOffice or WordPerfect with MS Office, and that they cannot change OS because of this.

In a recent article about StarOffice/OpenOffice 6.0 beta conversion and import/export tools it was mentioned, that not only these tools did their jobs exceptionally well for most use cases, but that often enough Office XP or Office 2000 weren´t able to do as well as Open Office did for example when importing dated Office 97 format.

In other words: Even MS own proprietary junk cannot help you keep your documents formatted the same way when versions change. Users that migrated from older Office versions several times and kept their formatting must be rare..

Especially funny IMHO was the vision of the author: 2050´s researchers are doing a history study of our times, and are failing to open Office 97 documents with Office XYZ on Windows XYZ..

Yes, I am partial. I became through experience.

Comment

Long live Linux

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Long live MacOS

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Where's Glonk?
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X