No announcement yet.

Why has Communism failed everywhere ? A chance for commies to explain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But the fittest don't need to kill to survive in nature. They only have to take all the resources.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Those resources usually need to be killed

Comment

• Originally posted by Berzerker
        Those resources usually need to be killed
        Someone might be a Social Darwinist and believe that ghettos are societies way of making the species stronger. Such a person could be a libertarian couldn't they?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

Interesting, and I mean that. It still doesn't dispute the fact that the basic way to decide about undertaking a project is to examine the forcasted risk and return. You pursue the project if the return outways the risk. They profit that you make if you are successfull it over and above the risk. So I like your figures here, but I'm just wondering if you still disagree with my general assessment.
          hmmm actually you sound more and more like you are adopting what I said all along.

What you don't seem to get is that a risk assessment is used even if there is ZERO chance of loss. If we went to management with a project with an 80% chance of a 2% return, an 18% chance of a 4% rate of return and a 2% chance of a 25% rate of return, it would not be approved.

Why ? Assume that the riskless rate of return you can get is 6% (nowadays it may be lower but its just an example). Then a company has its overhead which may mean that it needs an additional 2% for all the headquarters costs that will be there regardless. Then the project has to compete with all the other available projects. Different managers promote different projects and the reality is that most companies have more projects possible than they have capital in a given year. So for a project to get done it needs not only meet certain minimum thresholds but it must be more attractive than other projects.
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber
            What you don't seem to get is that a risk assessment is used even if there is ZERO chance of loss.
            I understand that completely. That's why I'm making my claim. If there is no risk and profit is made then how can profit be compensation for risk taking.

Comment

• THIS THREAD SHALL DIE SOON!!! MUAHUHAHAHAHA
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

I understand that completely. That's why I'm making my claim. If there is no risk and profit is made then how can profit be compensation for risk taking.
                Because there are essentially riskless investments that earn a profit. So the base case is not merely profit but a return that equals that. Lets say that riskless investments yield 5% annually. Thats the beginning point. Then say that the company requires an additional 2% return for overhead amounts. So thats a return of 7% thats needed for any investment decision before risk gets factored in.

In an oil company, risk is high. wells are routinely drilled that have a 1 in 5 chance of finding commercial quantities. So the possible upsides on those projects must be high (80% chance of a ZERO return will do that)
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Someone might be a Social Darwinist and believe that ghettos are societies way of making the species stronger. Such a person could be a libertarian couldn't they?
                  I've never heard a libertarian express such a belief, but yes. If a communist believed they were racially superior to black people does that mean communism is racist?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava
                    THIS THREAD SHALL DIE SOON!!! MUAHUHAHAHAHA
                    I hope so. What a bunch of philosophical and economic drivel. Some people couldn't see the point if if they were poked by a spear.
                    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I've never heard a libertarian express such a belief, but yes. If a communist believed they were racially superior to black people does that mean communism is racist?
                      No. It means that the person in not a communist.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• There are no racist communists?

Comment

There are no racist communists?
                          It's pretty much contrary to the doctrine, wouldn't you say? Or are you really familiar with the subject?

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I never said libertarianism was racist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber

Because there are essentially riskless investments that earn a profit. So the base case is not merely profit but a return that equals that. Lets say that riskless investments yield 5% annually. Thats the beginning point. Then say that the company requires an additional 2% return for overhead amounts. So thats a return of 7% thats needed for any investment decision before risk gets factored in.

In an oil company, risk is high. wells are routinely drilled that have a 1 in 5 chance of finding commercial quantities. So the possible upsides on those projects must be high (80% chance of a ZERO return will do that)
                              Uh.. You didn't really respond to me at all. I'll just bring it up in the next thread or something. Maybe we can come to a better understanding then.

Comment

• It's pretty much contrary to the doctrine, wouldn't you say?
                                The doctrine says all races are equal and one cannot believe otherwise and still be a communist? Trust me, racism is not a philosophy or ideology, its much more ingrained than such ideas like communism. You will find racists in any large group of people, including commies.

I never said libertarianism was racist.
                                Can you answer a question once in a while? NO, not that one damn it

Comment

Working...
                                X