Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalin monument to be built??

He's back...

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

"MOSCOW (Reuters) - Moscow plans to erect a new statue of Soviet dictator Josef Stalin, returning his once-ubiquitous image to its streets after an absence of four decades, a top city official said Wednesday.

Since President Vladimir Putin (news - web sites) was elected in 2000, a number of Soviet symbols -- including the national anthem and an army flag -- have been restored to use, reflecting widespread nostalgia for Russia's communist years.

But rehabilitation of Stalin, who was denounced after his death in 1953 by the Soviet leadership for encouraging a cult of personality and killing millions of real and imagined opponents, has previously been out of bounds. Statues of Stalin were removed from Moscow's public spaces in the 1960s.

"A monument will be erected to those who took part in (leading the war against Adolf Hitler), including Stalin," Oleg Tolkachev, Moscow's senator in the upper house of parliament, told Ekho Moskvy radio.

Interfax news agency reported earlier that a Stalin monument would also be built in the Belgorod region near the Ukrainian border to mark the Soviet victory against Nazi Germany 60 years ago -- seen as the country's greatest military triumph.

In another sign of Stalin's growing appeal, state television channels have shown a number of prime-time television shows in recent months depicting him in a positive light."
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

This is somewhat foolish.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I wonder if it is an organized attempt at rehabilitating him, and making authoritarianism* more fashionable than it already is.

Or maybe (hopefully), it is Russians trying to make peace with their past and their rather extreme opinions about Stalin (both positive and negative).

*I know Stalin was far worse than merely authoritarian. He is among the worst totalitarian slaughterers this planet has known. But if there indeed is an organized attempt at rehabilitating him, the message will probably not be about the horrors he wrought to his own people, but about how a "leader with resolve" can "overcome the greatest odds" or some crap like that - hence, such rehabilitation would be aimed at raising the acceptance of authoritarianism, rather than of totalitarian slaughter.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I think Putin is trying to revitalize him and strengthen his own hold on the state. Putin is no Stalin, but Putin is appearing to be more authoritarian by the way. Stalin was totally totalitarian like Kim Jong Il but worse. Putin will use Stalin's legacy for his advantage.. even though I can't see how this is possible.
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Mario Stalin.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

helping to defeat Hitler was a GOOD thing... but I don't think Stalin should have a monument... that's despicable.

OOOOH WAIT I'M A COMMIE LOVING JOHN KERRY VOTER!!@! THAT MEANS I LIKE TEH STALIN

next thing you know the Spanish will want to build monuments of Franco, the butcher.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
              helping to defeat Hitler was a GOOD thing... but I don't think Stalin should have a monument... that's despicable.

OOOOH WAIT I'M A COMMIE LOVING JOHN KERRY VOTER!!@! THAT MEANS I LIKE TEH STALIN

next thing you know the Spanish will want to build monuments of Franco, the butcher.
              Sava you are tasteless, stop ruining my threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo

Sava you are tasteless, stop ruining my threads.
                as soon as you stop ruining everyone else's threads.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                  as soon as you stop ruining everyone else's threads.
                  Stop talking about yourself. Every thread that has Sava in it is a troll thread.

Comment

Totally totalitarian? What a wonderful phrase for the tongue.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Shall we warn the folks down in hell to start looking for their ice skates, boys?

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                        Totally totalitarian? What a wonderful phrase for the tongue.
                        Have a mic? Say that twenty times and record it for me.

Ah, look at my new avatar...

Comment

I wonder if Stalin's policies also become en vogue again
                          Blah

Comment

Putin is brilliant. I'm glad I'm not up against him.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

A moment to Teh Stalin
                              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Working...
                              X