No announcement yet.

US Troops Destroy Babylon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patroklos, perhaps you aren't outratged because you failed to read a list of the damage:

Among the damage found by Mr Curtis, who was invited to Babylon by Iraqi antiquities experts, were cracks and gaps where somebody had tried to gouge out the decorated bricks forming the famous dragons of the Ishtar Gate.

He saw a 2,600-year-old brick pavement crushed by military vehicles, archaeological fragments scattered across the site, and trenches driven into ancient deposits.

Vast amounts of sand and earth, visibly mixed with archaeological fragments, were gouged from the site to fill thousands of sandbags and metal mesh baskets. When this practice was stopped, large quantities of sand and earth were brought in from elsewhere, contaminating the site for future generations of archaeologists.

In his report, Mr Curtis accepted that initially the US military presence helped protect the site from looters. But he described as "regrettable" the decision to set up a base in such an important spot.

He found that large areas of the site had been covered in gravel brought in from outside, compacted and sometimes chemically treated to provide helipads, car parks and accommodation and storage areas. "The status of future information about these areas will therefore be seriously compromised," he said.

Comment

• Y'know, I stopped reading this thread the second page in. Want to know why? Because while what the U.S.-led personnel did wasn't exactly the brightest thing in the world, the reaction in this thread has been downright childish, insulting and it sure as hell makes me want to jump right up there with the rabid right-wingers and tell everyone else to go to hell.

Humans are a f*cked up species, and this thread proves it.

Gatekeeper
      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

• You think it's all right for the US armed forces to do irrepairable damage to a world heritage site but not okay when others become upset because of it?

(\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• What part of archeologically insignificant do you not undersand, or is it just that Whaleboy knows archeology best like the all other subjects?
          Once again I predictably produce outrage? Take you tired "bleeding heart liberal" stereotype elsewhere . You don't need to know archeology to any detailed degree to know that this is a terrible thing, and attempting to rationalise it by saying that only objects of limited archeological importance were used by the US Army will cut about as much ice as a rotting penguin.

Gatekeeper: I am appalled and with good reason, much of the region's archeology is crucial for understanding the roots of todays civilisations, but that pails into insignificance compared to future generations comparing that archeology with our own, which is why it is our responsibility to preserve it. There are few places where this applies more than Babylon. History will only remember the stupidity and folly of this war, and as a sidenote, whereas Babylon gets an entire ****ing chapter... the end of which will likely refer to the above sidenote
          "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
          "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

• After all I also wonder which reason the US-Army had to set up a Camp at the site.
            Iraq is big, so wasn´t it possible for the Army to set up camp maybe 1-2 Miles away?
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Originally posted by Evil Knevil
              Yeah, well you would say that. It's your life excuse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                You think it's all right for the US armed forces to do irrepairable damage to a world heritage site but not okay when others become upset because of it?

Re-read my g*d*mn post again, UR. Did you see the part about "not the brightest thing in the world"? Good.

Others being upset? Yeah, I guess upset in a rabid, screw-all-the-Americans-they're-the-source-of-all-evil sort of way.

Gatekeeper
                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

• Originally posted by Whaleboy
                  Gatekeeper: I am appalled and with good reason, much of the region's archeology is crucial for understanding the roots of todays civilisations, but that pails into insignificance compared to future generations comparing that archeology with our own, which is why it is our responsibility to preserve it. There are few places where this applies more than Babylon. History will only remember the stupidity and folly of this war, and as a sidenote, whereas Babylon gets an entire ****ing chapter... the end of which will likely refer to the above sidenote
                  I'm something of an archeology buff myself, and what's happened is most distressing. But when "disagreement" turns into stereotypical anti-American crap, I draw the line. And, frankly, that's what a fair amount of this thread has regressed into. I suspect there's certain folks who don't give a sh*t about archeaology, and just saw this thread as an opening to spew filth about Americans.

Gatekeeper

Comment

• just saw this thread as an opening to spew filth about Americans.
                    perhaps you should be pissed at the US military then for GIVING THEM SOMETHING TO SPEW FILTH ABOUT.

just a suggestion...
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                      You think it's all right for the US armed forces to do irrepairable damage to a world heritage site but not okay when others become upset because of it.
                      Stop being such a hypocrite. You know full well if they didn't build a base there then the Iraqis would loot the place until there was nothing left and you'd be the first in line to scream about the evil US not stopping them. The US builds a base to guard the site and minor damage occurs and you once again get your panties in a bunch.

Which is it UR? Which one of these scenarios is the lesser of two evils?
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• I'm something of an archeology buff myself, and what's happened is most distressing. But when "disagreement" turns into stereotypical anti-American crap, I draw the line. And, frankly, that's what a fair amount of this thread has regressed into. I suspect there's certain folks who don't give a sh*t about archeaology, and just saw this thread as an opening to spew filth about Americans.
                        I'm not spewing anti-American "filth", I happen to think the war is a collosal blunder and that it is for visable reasons like this that will be remembered. Remember in the long term, the historical significance of Babylon totally dwarfs that of this little expedition.
                        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                        "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

• Originally posted by Whaleboy
                          I'm not spewing anti-American "filth",
                          If true then that would be a nice change.

Comment

• Babylon was destroyed by the Assyrians in 689bc so you can't blame the Americans.
                            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin
                              You know full well if they didn't build a base there then the Iraqis would loot the place until there was nothing left and you'd be the first in line to scream about the evil US not stopping them.
                              How come this sounds so eeriely familiar?

Ah, yes. Something about how Iraqi is an imminent threat not only to the US but to the rest of the world as well.

Originally posted by Oerdin
                              The US builds a base to guard the site and minor damage occurs and you once again get your panties in a bunch.
                              Did I?

Originally posted by Oerdin
                              Which is it UR? Which one of these scenarios is the lesser of two evils?
                              So you are basing your argument on an untested and untestable hypothetical scenario?
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Please feel free to keep dodging the issue and pretending that you aren't a hypocritical bastard who is playing both sides of the fence.

Comment

Working...
                                X