Who's the worst U.S. president ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's the worst U.S. president ever?

First things first, George W. Bush is not eligible, as he has not yet concluded his allotted time as President. Even if you are one of the many, many people who were about to vote for him, you must admit that he still has four years to vindicate himself somehow, although I personally don't see a way. He's about sixty years too late to defeat Hitler...

Ahem. Moving along, there have been too many Presidents to have a formal poll, so it'll have to be written. Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and both Roosevelts are hopefully not on anybody's ballot, and William Henry Harrison did a superb job for the month he spent attending inaugural balls before he died, but even with those eliminated there are still over thirty options.

I nominate James Buchanan, for doing nothing constructive to preserve the Union in the face of civil war, and for looking like the fruit of an illicit tryst between Beethoven and a cockatiel (Van Buren looked like a koala, which is arguably worse, but I don't know if he did anything wrong). Bad president, bad!

Other strong contenders IMO include Warren G. "Corruption? Where?" Harding, Herbert Hoover for his Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf routine of ignoring the Great Depression and hoping it would go away, and Jimmy Carter, the most moral yet least competent man to occupy the White House in living memory.

Any other nominations?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

It has to be Bush. This is like removing Hitler from the "world's most evil person in history" thread.

There... I've made my vote and Godwinized the thread in three sentences.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Grant - great general, lousy president
      Wilson - record for international interventions, racist bastard
      Nixon - immoral scumbag
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Grant, Hoover, and Nixon
        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

1. The genocidal maniac,
          2. the pedophile,
          and 3. the one who nearly destroyed the country.

(If any of these positions isn't provided, it does mean your history is too short)
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

In before Lincoln & FDR nominations from the lolbertarians.

Hoover and Grant get mentions from me.

Comment

I'm going for two who never get mentioned in threads like these:

Franklin Pierce, who, through both advocated policies and feckless leadership, did more to hasten the inevitibility of Civil War than any other president, including Buchanan.

Rutherford B. Hayes who, like he-who-shall-not-be-named-in-this-thread, stole his election to the presidency, and paid back his South Carolinian supporters by ending Reconstruction, a move that cost black Americans their life, liberty, and property well into the 20th century.
              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                1. The genocidal maniac,
                2. the pedophile,

(If any of these positions isn't provided, it does mean your history is too short)
                US history is short but we've had more than forty leaders already. If spots go unfilled, I guess democracy is good for something after all...
                Visit First Cultural Industries
                There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I have always pegged Buchanan as the worst, thought Rufus makes good points.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

In before Lincoln & FDR nominations from the lolbertarians
                    Ixnay

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                      1. The genocidal maniac,
                      2. the pedophile,

1. Jackson
                      2. We have sexual harrassers, but that's about it. We fall woefully short of having a true sexual deviant.
                      3. Hmm, I'm not sure if we've ever gotten to the point of "nearly destroyed" but I think Buchanan, Hayes, Hoover, and Nixon are as close as we come.
                      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                        Rutherford B. Hayes who, like he-who-shall-not-be-named-in-this-thread, stole his election to the presidency, and paid back his South Carolinian supporters by ending Reconstruction, a move that cost black Americans their life, liberty, and property well into the 20th century.
                        Hayes was a truly awful president. If FDR is a 9, Clinton is a 5, Hoover is a 0, and Bush is a -4, Hayes is about a -30. Tied with Jackson.
                        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

How can anyone say that FDR is the worst? He's the best president the US ever had, as Churchill is the best Prime Minister the UK ever had.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Well, for the moralist crusaders, Cleveland had an illegitimate child, leading to one of the best chants by a challenger (Tilden I believe)

"Ma, Ma, where's my Pa?"

To which Cleveland fans retorted:

"Gone to the White House, ha ha ha"
                            If you don't like reality, change it! me
                            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The only thing I remember about Grant is that he supposedly had no fiscal restraint whatsoever...what else did he do?

Nixon doesn't appear to have done all THAT bad of a job as prez, he just happened to be a foul-mouthed drunken lawbreaking tyrant who made okay (not spectacular) decisions nonetheless. If you go by Watergate alone Harding should be even worse, from what admittedly little I know of history...right?

Yes, I'm ignorant. I feel ashamed to admit that I have no idea what Millard Fillmore, Chester A. Arthur, James Garfield, or any of the other late-1800s filler presidents did at all. I sorta started this thread to gain some historical perspective on what stinkers have occupied the WH in years past.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                              X