Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eli

Probably not.

The Department of Planetary Sciences/Lunar and Planetary Laboratory is an academic institution that pursues scholarly research and education across the broad discipline of planetary and solar systems science.

Here are some test images, and all of them are grayscale.

Edit : Until you scroll down a bit more and see the color ones. :doh:
    Somehow I doubt those pics are coming from Titan though, you are way to gullible.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Surface pic!
      What's that in the topleft corner??! - an alien's thumb??

Comment

• Originally posted by dejon

What's that in the topleft corner??! - an alien's thumb??
        Someday, somewhere that will happen, must be some moment to witness.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by alva

Somehow I doubt those pics are coming from Titan though, you are way to gullible.
          It's a demonstration of the camera's abilities, so no color there = no color on Titan.
          "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

• Who needs aliens anyways - most men have enough trouble understanding women.

Comment

• Originally posted by booger

dont think its possible. Something about the visible wavelengths in the atmosphere wouldnt be the same digitally. Same with the MER's. The color would be added afterwords.
              The MER's certainly can take color pictures. The only trouble they have is making sure the colors are calibrated propely when combining the various filter images into the final color image. I think the huygens probe has a 3 filter system so it can probably take some sort of 'color' images but it will probably produce color images that won't have any resemblence to how things would look to human eyes given the compensation that has to be made for how dark it really is on Titan.

Comment

Surface pic!
                I'm surprised the horizon is so close and curved. that doesn't seem right for an object the size of titan.

Somehow I thought it would 'look colder', on Titan.

Comment

Theres a microphone? cool
                  Nobody could hear you scream in space anyway
                  So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                  Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

• good point geronimo

That is an excellent surface pic. Soft round stones sank into the ground a bit. Wierd!

One thing I really want to see is Saturn in the background.
                    http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OLHMHMB&key=RRK

:-(

Comment

• Originally posted by Geronimo
                      Somehow I thought it would 'look colder', on Titan.
                      We tend to associate the image of cold weather with snow, freeze or ice, but there may be not enough wateron Titan to cover it with ice...
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

One thing I really want to see is Saturn in the background.
                        I've always figured that if Titan is too smoggy and cloudy for us to see it's surface from space, then it's probably too smoggy and cloudy for us to see anything in space from the surface as well.

Comment

• you know i never really thought about it like that. You see all the artist impressions of the surface and yet they all show saturn and the sun

but you know what. The close proximity of titan to the billion times larger saturn probably gauruntees you something gets through.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor

We tend to associate the image of cold weather with snow, freeze or ice, but there may be not enough wateron Titan to cover it with ice...
                            that's probably it. I knew there wouldn't be snow but I probably unconsciously associated a landing on an 'icy moon' with a surface that would be covered with more white stuff or something.

Comment

Surface pic!
                              good thing we posted the surface pic! ESA has taken the picture down now the only picture that can be found is the earlier rivery looking one.

Comment

• Man Hoagland is gonna be all over this thing

Comment

Working...
                                X