Huygens Descent Onto Titan Countdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Geronimo
    I'm surprised the horizon is so close and curved. that doesn't seem right for an object the size of titan.
    That may have to do with the camera's perspective. In one of their test shots, it looked like Picacho peak was the entire planet Earth
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Lots of raw pics :
      The Department of Planetary Sciences/Lunar and Planetary Laboratory is an academic institution that pursues scholarly research and education across the broad discipline of planetary and solar systems science.
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geronimo

good thing we posted the surface pic! ESA has taken the picture down now the only picture that can be found is the earlier rivery looking one.
        It's also on the Wikipedia entry already.

Comment

• Originally posted by booger

but you know what. The close proximity of titan to the billion times larger saturn probably gauruntees you something gets through.
          On JPL they have a cool simulator that shows you the relative size of various objects from cassini at various points of the mission. When cassini is near titan saturn is huge but not sky filling huge. It's maybe 20 times the size of the moon from earth. The real issue isn't apparent size of the disk anyway. the thing that determines if light gets through would be apparent luminosity. Saturn is so much further from the sun that it's larger disk will be quite a bit dimmer overall than a full moon on earth.
          Last edited by Geronimo; January 14, 2005, 17:11.

Comment

• Lots of raw pics :

Didn't they only have room for about a thousand pics? That means that's all of them.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by alva
              Lots of raw pics :

Didn't they only have room for about a thousand pics? That means that's all of them.
              I sure hope not, considering it's always from the same location.

Wasn't Huygens supposed to take pics during the descent?
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

• I think a lot of those are the same picture with different filters. I don't think you can add up those raw images to arrive at the total of 1000 pictures for the mission.
                Last edited by Geronimo; January 14, 2005, 17:12.

Comment

• Originally posted by alva
                  Lots of raw pics :

Hmph. Most of those images pretty much suck. But these are rich people's problems.
                  "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

• Incredible succes for this mission. It really is amazing what we can do.

There's a half-hour Review of the Day program coming up just now on NASA TV Webcast. It may present some more picture mosaics.

Comment

• No space monsters?

Comment

• BTW, what we see in the surface pics are not rocks, but ice blocks, according to the ESA. Their size and distance are not known yet.

Comment

• ESA's Cassini-Huygens website features news, status reports on the mission, images, videos, live streaming and much more! The Huygens mission is the ESA-provided element of the international Cassini-Huygens mission to Saturn and Titan jointly developed by NASA and ESA. The primary scope of the mission is to descend through the atmosphere of Titan, Saturn's largest moon, making measurements and collecting information about its atmopshere and surface which resemble that of a very young Earth.

DARMSTADT, Germany -- The first pictures revealing the surface of Saturn's moon, Titan, were shown from Europe's Huygens probe showing what look like drainage channels on the surface of what until today has been a planet totally hidden from view.
                          Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                          And notifying the next of kin
                          Once again...

Comment

• So, it is expected that there are whole seas or lakes of liquid hydrocarbones there. Do y'all understand what it meand? A real PLANET full of oil, a mere 10 AU away!

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor
                              A real PLANET full of oil, a mere 10 AU away!
                              Go looking for WMD?

Comment

• Wow this is actually pretty damn cool. FINALLY ESA does something right

It's good. Now we have a new legit player in the space business. This means good for everyone. ESA cool stuff... no more tin cans to the next rock.
                                In da butt.
                                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                                X