Your Predictions for 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Predictions for 2005

I remember that new years predictions is a thread we have had in the past here in Apolyton, it was pretty good....

Post your predictions in 2005 for politics, economics, entertainment, or whatever.

Mine:

- Elections in Iraq will go off as planned. Violence will disrupt the elections in a few places, particularly in the Sunni triangle, however most Iraqis will still be able to manage to get their vote in. The Sistani list will win the elections, and the traditional power pattern will be reversed with a Shiite leading Iraq. Sunni Arab hostility to the government will continue, but the government will gain more legitimacy among the Shiite Majority, as well as among the Kurds. In spite of democratic elections, the European nations which opposed the war will still be extremely skeptical of the government and not help in any significant way. The Iraqi government is able to get more recruits from the Shiite and Kurdish areas, and fighting will continue as the government tries to assert control of it's country.

- The Asian central banks who are currently trying to push up the strength of the dollar will begin to diversify to try to avoid being caught with too many dollars when it goes down. The dollar plummets, people begin to demand higher interest rates. The US government is put in a situation where it needs to raise taxes or cut spending. Congress passes a deficit reduction bill will cuts spending to some degree, but isn't strong enough to actually stop the deficit, but does make it look politically like they are anti-deficit. Inflation occurs as a weakening dollar decreases imports. The world economy as a whole is hit as the USA imports less goods from it.

- Troubles will continue in Europe with tensions between Islamic immigrants and West European natives, however reluctance to address this issue among Europe's establishment parties prevents anything of substance from being done about this, and the size of the Islamic minority will continue to increase.

- In the USA, Bush will be able to get something similar to an amnesty through allowing additional immigration. Medical Malpractice reform is passed, we will probably see tax reform of some sort. A much more emboldened Republican majority will push through it's judges, using the "nuclear option" of disallowing filibusters for judicial confirmations if need be, the federal judiciary will get more conservative judges.

- In spite of Abbas replacing Arafat, Sharon and Abbas will be unable to come to any peace deal. Sharon will continue to push a plan of unilateral sepeartion, building up the wall between the parts of the West Bank Israel wants to keep and the parts that will be given to the Palestinians. The Gaza Strip will be withdrawn from.

- Saddam will be found guilty for atrocities committed during his regime, will be sentenced to death.

Anyone else want to try?
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Your predictions are all very right wing. I don't think much of what you predict will happen.
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Elections in Iraq will lead to a Shiite mayority in the consitutional assembly.Sunni turnout will be significantly bellow the turnout of other groups-violence will continue unabbated in the Sunni regions. The role of Islam in the state and the level of autonomy the Kurds get will be the two most contentious issues of the assembly.

Agree with Shi on the trade, econ, budget issues

Bush will push harder for ME peace process once Abbas is elected, given the poor sitution in Iraq and the need to seem active. Israel will leave Gaza, but not before mass protests by the right, and some violence from settlers as they are being removed. A couple of suicide attacks by Hamas and IJ likely.

NOTE: As for Shi's comment on Europes islamic Minority, it will continue to grow no matter what, given migratory and demographic patterns, and its not some sort of inherent problem.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I would think right wing predictions would be more like:

- Peace and Sunshine and love break out in Iraq, all problems in the mideast end, America to thank for new democracy

- Thanks to tax cuts, the US economy booms and grows a rate of 1000% per year

- France surrenders to Al Qaeda, briefly becoming an Islamic state before being nuked by the US.

- Homosexuality proved to be a conspiracy started by the UN to destroy religion.
        "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Re: Your Predictions for 2005

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
          - The Asian central banks who are currently trying to push up the strength of the dollar will begin to diversify to try to avoid being caught with too many dollars when it goes down. The dollar plummets, people begin to demand higher interest rates. The US government is put in a situation where it needs to raise taxes or cut spending. Congress passes a deficit reduction bill will cuts spending to some degree, but isn't strong enough to actually stop the deficit, but does make it look politically like they are anti-deficit. Inflation occurs as a weakening dollar decreases imports. The world economy as a whole is hit as the USA imports less goods from it.
          I don't think we are at a point where this is possible next year. That would be a desperate move by the Asian central banks.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Despite the new Palestenian leadership (I HOPE it's Abbas and not someone from Hamas), there's no visible progress in the ME, as terrorist attacks continue and the withdrawal plan continues.

After the Iraqi elections, the losing party protests and claims that the results have been falsified or influenced to suit the US.

Putin strengthens his authoritarian regime, passes constiution amendment to have him run for 3rd term, continues to get rid of private companies, as it is with Yukos. Khodorkovsky gets a jail sentence on some of those ridicilous charges.

Trouble in Iran. Iran comes to a big diplomatic conflict with US and possibly Israel because it will continue its nuclear program and come close to developing nukes.

Bush's rating drops after more accusations surface that he authorised/endorsed torture.

Private spaceflight looks better and better.

Breakthroughs are made in Europe concerning practical medical use of stem cell cloning.

Muslim influence in France increases, more acts of violence towards foreigners. France becomes more anti-US.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

The US loses in Iraq. It might not be a devastating loss, but the US will be in a weaker position than if it had let Saddam Hussein be.

In short, people will look back on this year and wonder why the US simply didn't try to bring Saddam back into the fold like they have done with Gaddafi. Saddam desperately wanted this, and a lot less people would have died.

Bush's spending of his "election capital" will dominate the US scene and will further isolate the US from other developed countries who will (rightly in my view) see his policies as neanderthal. American liberals will get meaner and the left wing of the democratic party will predominate for good or ill.

Environmental crises will worsen and more people will realize that the nation state is simply inadequate to solve the world's problems any more.

A new rock band will appear (probably in the US) which will be responsible for reviving the moribund music scene, which is now dominated by hip hop. It will be like 1992 all over again.

Open source adoption will gather pace.

Malware through things like phones and portable music players will become a major scourge.

RIP Nelson Mandela.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Germany is finally accepted leading nation in Europe.

Comment

A new rock band will appear (probably in the US) which will be responsible for reviving the moribund music scene, which is now dominated by hip hop. It will be like 1992 all over again.

Rock music dominating istead of hip hop . Wishful thinking.

Comment

People will continue to predict things in accordance with their ideology.

Comment

RIP:

Nelson Mandela, John Paul II, Fidel Castro

Comment

People will continue to predict things in accordance with their ideology.

Look at my predictions, they are not in accordance with my ideology.

Comment

Troubles will continue in Europe with tensions between Islamic immigrants and West European natives, however reluctance to address this issue among Europe's establishment parties prevents anything of substance from being done about this, and the size of the Islamic minority will continue to increase.
                          Anyone would think that Muslims constituted a majority of immigrants to Europe. I'll bet they don't.

Comment

I didn't say predictions that good things would happen.

Comment

I predict I will get a girlfriend.

Comment

Working...
                              X