Political part : Biggest earthquake in 40 years hits Southeast Asia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GePap
    Its nice to see states trying to top each other- the sort of mindless pissing match that leads somewhere.
    Lets just hope it doesn't end up in the pockets of some corrupt government or UN official. The best way to contribute is in active manner.. not just throw money at it.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

I don't think Burma has been affected significantly- bangladesh was hit slightly as well.

Its nice to see states trying to top each other- the sort of mindless pissing match that leads somewhere.
      given that Aceh has apparently lost almost ALL its infrastructure, this could go on for quite some time.

Flabbergasting, the scale of this.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo
        Stop being so critical.
        I'm mostly critical to those who lean back in their armchairs and say "enough is being done". That is simply arrogant. While we can all agree that every effort is highly appreciated, there is not enough capacity to do enough.

Why do you expect me to ignore things like this?

biblical proportions my ass.

You are right, as the world population was much smaller back then, the biblical disasters were not even close to this in absolute numbers.

9/11 dwarfs this

I think this needs no further comment

US Navy saved the day

Locally
        Last edited by Chemical Ollie; December 30, 2004, 16:33.
        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie

I'm mostly critical to those who lean back in their armchairs and say "enough is being done". That is simply arrogant. While we can all agree that every effort is highly appreciated, there is not enough capacity to do enough.

Why do you expect me to ignore things like this?
          I'm putting you on my ignore list because quite frankly I had enough of your hissy attitude and rudeness. I have had it! We know there isn't enough we can do to save everyone, but we might as well ****ing try. If you don't like it, then that is your own damn problem.
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie

Any country's contribution is a piss in the Nile. There are not enough global resources available to assist in the urgent rescue need spread out over 2 large continents and 1000's of remote islands.

Saying "US Navy saved the day" is simply arrogant. They might help some people, which is greatly appreciated, but anyone claiming their country is doing enough is lying.
            Those ships we are sending can generate 1.26 million gallons of fresh water every day(14 warships can do 90,000 gallons per day).

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
              Wouldn't social security money have been better spent here?

OMFFG Social Security is pwnd! Clearly it is evil!
              It is 3.3 billion dollars per day.

Comment

This has to be satire...

Bush 'Undermining UN with Aid Coalition'

By Jamie Lyons, PA Political Correspondent

United States President George Bush was tonight accused of trying to undermine the United Nations by setting up a rival coalition to coordinate relief following the Asian tsunami disaster.

The president has announced that the US, Japan, India and Australia would coordinate the world’s response.

But former International Development Secretary Clare Short said that role should be left to the UN.

“I think this initiative from America to set up four countries claiming to coordinate sounds like yet another attempt to undermine the UN when it is the best system we have got and the one that needs building up,” she said.

“Only really the UN can do that job,” she told BBC Radio Four’s PM programme.

“It is the only body that has the moral authority. But it can only do it well if it is backed up by the authority of the great powers.”

Ms Short said the coalition countries did not have good records on responding to international disasters.

She said the US was “very bad at coordinating with anyone” and India had its own problems to deal with.

“I don’t know what that is about but it sounds very much, I am afraid, like the US trying to have a separate operation and not work with the rest of the world through the UN system,” she added.
                Get all of the latest news from The Scotsman. Providing a fresh perspective for online news.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

We are, the UN is being retarded, everyone else has people on the ground helping, but they announced that they would have a meeting to decide how to spend the money next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha

Those ships we are sending can generate 1.26 million gallons of fresh water every day(14 warships can do 90,000 gallons per day).
                    Very good.

The estimated number of people in desparate need of fresh water is 5 million. So the US is providing an average of a little more than 1 litre per person and day. An average person needs 2.5 liters a day just for drinking in temperate climate, and much more in a hot climate, perhaps 5 litres. (Someone might help me get these figures more accurate). The US contribution is significant, approximately 20% of the basic need, and if you can add helicopter transport capability to distribute the water over the huge disaster area, so much better. If the rest of the world adds up to this and everything is co-ordinated, the aftermath might go quite well. Let's hope!
                    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo
                      I'm putting you on my ignore list because quite frankly I had enough of your hissy attitude and rudeness. I have had it! We know there isn't enough we can do to save everyone, but we might as well ****ing try. If you don't like it, then that is your own damn problem.
                      Rudeness? Please settle down. While you have every reason to be upset, with relatives in the area and all, you are not reading my posts in enough detail, or you are simply doing the wrong interpretations. I think you and I agree on most of what we post on this topic. You are just taking the few details of disagreement as personal insults, which was never the intention, and I think most other people reading could agree with me on that.

Comment

dan s, don't take anything claire short says seriously, she'll bad mouth the US to anyone who'll listen since 'leaving' the government.
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

As for the UN vs. the US/coalition... ack, I just don't give a ****e. Whatever gets the aid where it needs to be the fastest. I really wouldn't be surprised if the UN is the slower of the available options. The UN, by its nature, is not an organization designed for speed. But I could be wrong.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

As for the UN vs. the US/coalition... ack, I just don't give a ****e. Whatever gets the aid where it needs to be the fastest. I really wouldn't be surprised if the UN is the slower of the available options. The UN, by its nature, is not an organization designed for speed. But I could be wrong.

-Arrian
                            I also heard the UN is being very slow on this. While the UN effort on the Tsunami is being led by a Swede, the Swedish Government itself is much faster than the UN efforts (and Sweden did not react until day 3).

But that does not mean the UN efforts will be unnecessary. There are millions of people who have lost literally everything. They have nothing but shorts, sandals and two empty hands, some even less. The initial response will focus on keeping them alive, the long-term response will focus on getting them back on their feet, so they can take care of themselves again.

Comment

The UN is always very slow and ****s thing up beyond belief. Just keep them out of this or there will be a million dead because they fail to react fast enough.

The US must do its part, and setting up an aid alliance would be necessary since the UN is totally incompetent. And quite frankly, the aid coalition seems to be the best thing going with the regional superpower of South East Asia, India.. two economic super powers, US and Japan, and as well as Australia.

I wouldn't trust the UN with any money or anything because they would definitely screw it up, or steal it. After the $22 billion dollar incident involving the UN and the oil for food scandal I wouldn't trust them with a wooden nickel.

Comment

Death toll tops 13000. not 90.

Spec.
                                -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X