Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk

Interesting how Carter wasn't invited.
    He has his hands tied monitoring the Palestinian elections. I suspect bilocation is beyond even the powers of the Sacred Peanut of Georgia.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS

This thought is unfortunately a rather uniform aspect of the human view of things and extends beyond natural disasters. I don't think it has anything to do with being religious or not, or even modern or ancient. Victims are blamed the world over. Rather, nowadays it's just masked a little bit better.
      There is also the nature versus work of evil or punishment explanation.

Jesus had something to say about this, he rejects the punishment explanation

Repent or Perish - Now there were some present at that time who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. Jesus answered, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.”

Natural disasters and human tragedies remind us of the uncertainty of life and the importance of getting our life in order and making the most of it, like the fig tree we should try and bear fruit while we live because death can come suddenly.

Here endeth the lesson
      Last edited by Alexander's Horse; January 10, 2005, 20:34.
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

There is also the nature versus work of evil or punishment explanation.

Jesus had something to say about this, he rejects the punishment explanation

Repent or Perish - Now there were some present at that time who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. Jesus answered, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.”

Natural disasters and human tragedies remind us of the uncertainty of life and the importance of getting our life in order and making the most of it, like the fig tree we should try and bear fruit while we live because death can come suddenly.

Here endeth the lesson
        Donate to the American Red Cross.
        Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

• US and UK have turned down a request from the Swedish Government to assist in providing air transport capacity.

To be fair both countries might be using their military planes in Iraq or Afghanistan plus they are airlifting supplies to the Tsunami areas. It would seem their planes are already commited.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• A Swedish priest has been sentenced to one month in prison for saying things like "homosexuality is a cancer tumour on the body of our society" during his sermon in church. Now you may wonder, how can that sentence be possible in a democracy were freedom of speech and freedom of religion are essential parts of the constitution? And how is that related to the Tsunami?

People who supports his imprisonment said that freedom of speech and freedom of religion do not extend into threats and death curses upon fellow citizens. In the same manner, Radio Islam in Stockholm has previously been sentenced several times for antisemitic propaganda.

During his anti-gay sermon in the summer of 2003, the priest also said something like "God may send an earthquake to kill hundred thousands of people as punishment". Now his followers thank God for the Tsunami - their prayers have been heard.
            So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
            Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Working...
            X