Leading Atheist Philosopher Concludes God's Real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is my take on this.

An atheist chickens out at the last minute. Why is this relevant to an argument about whether or not there is an invisible all-powerful ultra-intelligent force guiding all of our actions?

If there were a God, it would have shown its presence by now. If there is not a god, it will be conspicuous by its absence.

Belief or non-belief does not in and of itself provide proof. If a believer keeps trying to bolster their belief by recruiting more people, (debating and evangelizing), it shows an inherent doubt in their own faith. If the believer’s faith is so strong that God definitely exists, the believer should not need to have outside validation from non-believers.

When an atheist suddenly starts to believe in God, this does not prove the existence of God. It simply proves that atheism did not provide enough meaning to this individual’s life. Atheism is not a philosophy or a religion. It is simply the absence of belief in omnipresent being.

Once a person becomes an atheist, they start down a lonely new road. I say lonely because they do not have the luxury of having the illusion of a god to watch over and protect them. Atheists must provide their own meaning to life. This is extremely difficult and frightening. The fear alone explains why most people reject atheism and embrace faith. Faith takes the responsibility away from the self and puts it squarely on God. If an individual creates evil, then the faithful believe God will punish them. If an individual creates good, then God will reward them. This reward and punishment system conveniently takes place in the afterlife. Since dead men do not talk, I guess we the living will never find out.

This leads to the “culture of life” that the Christians like to espouse. If the rewards and the punishment come in the afterlife, then this is certainly a religion of death. An individual following Christianity must look forward to death to find true fulfillment and meaning.

In the end, the atheist could not face the meaninglessness and hopelessness of oblivion, so he turned to religion and the hope that he might be reborn in the afterlife. He needed an anodyne.
    "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
    —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

• Re: New Information. . .

Good? I pity the man. He made a big mistake.

Secondly, I can name more and more cases of christians turning away from their god and towards atheism, then you can cite otherwise.
      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom
        Jefferson could have him for breakfast, lightly grilled:

"Our particular principles of religion are a subject of accountability to our God alone."

Thomas Jefferson, letter to Miles King of September 26th, 1814

The Jeffersonian Bible (1964) p. 328

" I am anxious to see the doctrine of one god commenced in our state. But the population of my neighborhood is too slender, and is too much divided into other sects to maintain any one preacher well. I must therefore be contented to be an Unitarian by myself, although I know there are many around me who would become so, if once they could hear the questions fairly stated."

Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Benjamin Waterhouse, January 8th, 1825
        Liberal forgeries

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy

Our founding father's were not deists (they were Christians), rather that's just a twist of history made up by liberals that was adopted by the mass media and the public school system because it fit their twisted liberal agenda. Pathetic!
          Jefferson, Paine, Sam Adams and Franklin were definitely deists. Washington, Madison, Henry, Hancock and John Adams definitely were not. The others I confess I do not know about.
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Because everyone knows athiesm is a movement so if he has a leading athiest he has sway, as opposed to say, most athiests coming to the conclusion on their own....

Comment

• @ Ves

Originally posted by MosesPresley
              Once a person becomes an atheist, they start down a lonely new road. I say lonely because they do not have the luxury of having the illusion of a god to watch over and protect them. Atheists must provide their own meaning to life. This is extremely difficult and frightening.
              Well said. Staring straight into an absolute darkness called death is definitely not for the feint of heart.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• What's the point of debating the existence of a god when you can't even prove your own existence? Considering the many faithful followers to the many existing religions, what's the difference in saying god exists inside us and god exists through many ways and in saying there's no god except ourselves?
                Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

• Well said. Staring straight into an absolute darkness called death is definitely not for the feint of heart.

I stared into death a couple of times in my sleep. I am not really afraid of it, anymore.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                  X