UK! What pops into your head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Oerdin
    to the people who claim America never invented any cuisine. I've traveled to numerous countries and can attest that there is a unique combination of food and flavors here..

No one's doubted that.

"2 x 1/3 Angus patties
    16 Strips of Bacon
    Mayo
    3 slices of Cheese "

Did I leave out the Velveeta and Oreos ? Damn.

Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

to the people who claim America never invented any cuisine. I've traveled to numerous countries and can attest that there is a unique combination of food and flavors here..
      Absolutely.
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeH

Without us you'd be nothing! Get over it!
        Ask him why he doesn't speak French or Dutch. Go on, ask him.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Without us you'd be speaking French!
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

On a different note the BBC is reporting the ChevronTexico has announced the discovery of a new half billion barrel of oil deposit off the Shetland Islands. There should also be a great deal of natural gas associated with these deposits as well.

Alex Salmond, a former oil economist with the Royal Bank of Scotland, say this discovery exceeds the total amount of oil so far extracited from Scottish waters. Does that mean the UK just doubled it's amount of oil reserves?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4080525.stm

It's Scotlands oil!

...please don't invade
            Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeH

Without us you'd be nothing! Get over it!
              Without us you'd be the smallest province in the Nazi empire...

Comment

• Nah, we'd be happy little communist workers Comrade.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

• Originally posted by bfg9000

British government directly led to the foundation of the American colonies - not US as a nation. The extent of British influence on the development of the US as a nation is confined to the writings of Locke and Hobbes..
                  Not according to historian Bernard Bailyn, who some years ago showed how political discourse in the years prior to the revolution was derived from post 1688 English radicalism, and was less influenced by French thought than has usually been taught.

Constitutional and political developments in Britain and the colonies were intertwined right up to 1776.

Their food may be lousy , but we really owe them a helluva lot politically.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• The Magna Carta was a revolutionary document...ahead of its time.
                    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

• naturally the MOST traditional American foods are ones likely to have European roots. Recipes that evolved in the US are likely to be regional in their associations, and more recent in there mainstream emergence.

And of course the COMBINATIONS are American.

Roast Turkey may be common in Europe. Corn bread may be widespread (?) But roast turkey with corn bread stuffing?
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• The Magna Carta was a revolutionary document...ahead of its time.
                        That's just a nice way of saying "stupid"

When I think of the UK I get an image of drink thick lagers under a big clock as black cabs role by on cobblestoned streets toting royalty, elfs, and druids about to their holidays.

And Hugh Grant and the Spice Girls of course.

British food, in my mind, is bland and it all looks like blood sausage and head cheese
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

• Take Cajun cuisine - french canadian cooking techniques, applied to Lousiana ingredients. Uniquely American.

Or New Orleans Creole - a mix of African, caribbean, and French - unique to Louisiana.

Or Southwestern Barbecue - a combination of hispanic, native, and anglo approaches.

Comment

• There's a place around the corner from me that markets itself as Cal-Mex, and it's great. They have Tamales with Thai Peanut Suace, and I like it... with a side of slaw.

American cuisine is most definitly a combo of all national foods, seeing as we all/mostly are immigrants.

The best thing about California is the food and ethnic mixing of ideas and techniques. All the food is fresh and all nationalities represented. Look at California Pizza Kitchen...
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X