Famous Johns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Famous Johns

NB: Post one John at a time, and allow 4 other Johns to be posted before you go again.

John Wayne!

Ehh, JohnT?
    (I don't get out much)

Comment

John Lilburne.

Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

John C. Lilly
        This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

John Doe
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

John Huston

Comment

Me.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

John Keats
                Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

John F. Kennedy!
                  "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                  "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

John of Bohemia.

John of Bohemia. Also called John of Luxembourg . 1296-1346. King of Bohemia (1310-46). Son of future emperor Henry VII; made count of Luxembourg (1310); as king, supported Emperor Louis IV; conducted numerous campaigns against Lithuanians, Russians, Hungary, Austria, in Italy and the Tirol, etc.; acquired parts of Upper Lusatia (1320-29), Silesia (1327-30), Lombardy; turned against Louis and secured his deposition by Pope Clement VI (1346); had son elected King Charles IV of the Romans; killed fighting on French side at Crecy.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Somebody needs to post about a famous "John" who got caught with a call girl.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                        Somebody needs to post about a famous "John" who got caught with a call girl.
                        John Profumo?

" The wild-living Christine Keeler (pictured) had run away from home at the age of 16 and become a showgirl at Murray's cabaret club in Soho where, as she put it, she was employed "to walk around naked" -actually the showgirls wore very elaborate Cleopatra-style costumes with gold and feathers. This was where she had befriended another showgirl, Mandy Rice-Davies.

Keeler, a strikingly beautiful young woman, had also befriended Stephen Ward, a fashionable London osteopath who enjoyed sketching the rich and famous.

Ward introduced Keeler, then a feisty, but impressionable teenager, into a world which she had never before encountered, which was peopled with the rich and famous, aristocratic, charming and powerful men, all eager to meet her and take her out.

Through him, she lived the high-life, but her irresistible attraction for men would ultimately lead her down a dangerous path.

Difficult relations
                        Keeler cohabited with Ward platonically at his Wimpole Mews flat. And as well as a fondness for art, the urbane and well-connected doctor liked to surround himself with beautiful women, and to throw sex parties, which were attended by high-ranking and influential members of the establishment.

Keeler had a tempestuous relationship with Ward. She often ran away, but always came back and seems to have placed all her trust in him.

At Ward's trial in 1963, Keeler told the court: "We were like brother and sister. My life really used to revolve around Stephen. He had full control of my mind. I used to do more or less everything that he said. I thought I could never stand on my feet unless he was there and supporting me mentally." Ward courted the prominent and the powerful, and made friends easily - in fact, Roger Hollis, the then head of MI5, was said to be a frequent visitor to his flat.

Ward was also known for introducing women to men and there are lurid stories told of parties held at his home, involving two-way mirrors, sado-masochism and orgies.

The most infamous tale is that of the "man in the mask", a high-ranking member of the establishment, who served guests at Ward's dinner parties, naked, except for a mask and who ate his dinner from a dog bowl. Despite rumours he was a Cabinet minister, he has never been identified.

Friends and enemies

Keeler and Ward often spent weekends at a cottage belonging to one of Ward's friends, Lord Astor. It was at a party at Lord Astor's Cliveden country residence in Berkshire in 1961 that Keeler and Profumo first met.

According to Keeler, they flirted around the swimming pool and jokingly tried on suits of armour in the rooms of the mansion, but the War minister was smitten and the couple subsequently had a passionate affair.

Keeler often visited Profumo's home and his offices, but their affair was brief and would probably never have come to light were it not for a few complications in Keeler's love life - namely, that she had also slept with Ivanov, a solemn and patriotic Muscovite who was a spy. "

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

Not quite a call girl, I know but....

Comment

The girl was pretty hot. I think I'd have to use Ted Stiker's signature line were I near her.

Comment

Famous people who visited prostitues? The notorious liar Jeffrey Archer.
                            Last edited by MikeH; December 2, 2004, 08:25.
                            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Thanks, Kropotkin!

Do derivatives count? If so,

Johann Sebastian Bach.

Comment

Working...
                              X