Rugby - Running Out of Titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Havak

That he is – but to liken him to Harrison, the lad I discuss with Finbar regularly, Trevor is pretty similar but with much less self control.
    Good grief.

The same Larkham who tackled Ben Cohen blatantly off the ball and got a mouthful of stud? I would have thought a little raking is nothing after that?
    If only it were raking. It wasn't. Larkham went after the ball on the ground. Shortly after, la grenouille decided he'd go for the ball with his boots. Sliding in feet first.

There are kids in the stands. So it was six letters starting in “W” and ending in “r”. Only using the Cockney rhyming slang version for the kiddies sake. Same for Dawson.
    Rugby ... the gentlemen's game.

No I know I may have mentioned before that I do not like the chairman of Saracens. It came as no surprise to me therefore that Kafer is about to be dismissed as todays newspapers are suggesting the Aussie Lardy boy, who joined them as a player-coach in 2003 after being dismissed by Tigers (thank god), will leave Vicarage Road soon.

That Saracens chairman, Nigel Wray, recently walked out of Sarries' 40-10 defeat by Harlequins. I laughed myself silly.

And Kafer has apparently been linked with the new Perth-based Super 12 franchise. Look out Perth – well drilled defence and no attack at all awaits your back line!!
    His name's been mentioned, just as it was for the Brumbies job. Importantly, though, his lousy record with Saracens has also been mentioned. All sorts of names are being bandied around. Even "Knuckles" Connolly. One interesting name is Michael Cheika, currently coaching Randwick in the Sydney club comp. Won the comp by a country mile this season. He and his assistant, David Knox - former Brumbies and Wallaby #10, and a wonderfully gifted player - have turned into a formidable coaching unit. Randwick just keeps churning 'em out - players and coaches.

I note that the Kiwis have denied they are planning a joint bid with Japan for the 2011 World Cup. The Japanese must be hoping the Kiwis come on board. It would just about guarantee the Japanese winning sole hosting rights.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by ravagon
      Incidentally, @ the "Frog and Rosbif".
      It happens that I live a few meters away from the said Frog&Rosbif and that some friends and I were discussing at home when we heard some loud voices in the street around 1 a.m. or so. We thought it was just another drunkard's fight.

Gracias Tamerlin.
      De nada!
      "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Tamerlin lives near the Frog and Rosbiff?

Right everyone we descend on Tamerlin for a home European leg of his choice in fall 2005? You will find me at the bar.

Good grief.
        No stranger to the citing process is young Trevor.

Shortly after, la grenouille decided he'd go for the ball with his boots. Sliding in feet first.
        That’s different then – baseball slides are lethal and you cannot claim lack of intent. Why was he not cited?

[quote] Rugby ... the gentlemen's game.[/quotew]

As played by Lawyers, Doctors and Merchant Bankers (step forward Larry).

Importantly, though, his lousy record with Saracens has also been mentioned.
        Don’t judge him too harshly on that – Sarries is a poison chalice. Super expensive squad – but it has never melded into a team under any coach. And frankly I don’t think a former Sale number two coach can change that.

What Rod should be criticised for is not keeping himself in shape during his pension years and for being damn useless going forward – a bit fatal when you wear 12.

Randwick just keeps churning 'em out - players and coaches.
        I hereby appoint them the honourary title of Randwick Tigers.

The Japanese must be hoping the Kiwis come on board. It would just about guarantee the Japanese winning sole hosting rights

I hope the Kiwi lads can look at their own Union and laugh – it does make the ARU and RFU look real Pro’s most of the time.

I can just imagine that the current hot project at NZRFU after the France game is the building of the marble backed cabinet to hold ‘William’ in from 2007. Wonder if France will be able to get a good deal on that after the tournament?

My money is on France at least turning up next time the ABs visit. Of course it is traditional after a big win for NZ not to play you again for four years…
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Tamerlin lives near the Frog and Rosbiff?

Right everyone we descend on Tamerlin for a home European leg of his choice in fall 2005? You will find me at the bar.
          You have to hurry up, I have to move to another place by the end of April!

That’s different then – baseball slides are lethal and you cannot claim lack of intent. Why was he not cited?
          His "crampons" were dirty, you must admit it is useless to clean them on the grass and that it is not fair to use the shirts of your team mates!

My money is on France at least turning up next time the ABs visit. Of course it is traditional after a big win for NZ not to play you again for four years…
          "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Tamerlin lives near the Frog and Rosbiff?

We fully intend to pop across from Italy to visit him next year. Of course, I note elsewhere on this page that he intends to move next year. Anything to avoid buying me a glass of Absinthe! We might even find the funds to pop across to Leicester too!

Larkham jumped up and remonstrated and Heymans was penalised. That was the end of the matter.

Don’t judge him too harshly on that – Sarries is a poison chalice. Super expensive squad – but it has never melded into a team under any coach. And frankly I don’t think a former Sale number two coach can change that.
            Mmmm. Anyway, Michael Cheika seems to be the favourite at the moment.

What Rod should be criticised for is not keeping himself in shape during his pension years and for being damn useless going forward – a bit fatal when you wear 12.
            You mean he was damn useless going forward? He must really have lost fitness. He was never blessed with a lot of speed - his nickname is/was "Tugboat" - but he never had any trouble ploughing forward.

I hereby appoint them the honourary title of Randwick Tigers.
            They have much in common.

I hope the Kiwi lads can look at their own Union and laugh – it does make the ARU and RFU look real Pro’s most of the time.
            I think the NZRFU is pretty much a bunch of fresh faces after the World Cup debacle. It'll be interesting to see if they've woken up.

The Lions tour is obviously going to be the big test for the ABs. It will take gumption. Something they haven't really shown for ten years. Could they come back from one down like we did?
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin

You have to hurry up, I have to move to another place by the end of April!
              That'd be right! We drive in one end of your street as your removalist's van drives out the other end!

His "crampons" were dirty, you must admit it is useless to clean them on the grass and that it is not fair to use the shirts of your team mates!
              I can only quote you back at yourself:

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar

I fully intend to pop across from Italy to visit him next year. Of course, I note elsewhere on this page that he intends to move next year. Anything to avoid buying me a glass of Absinthe! I might even fund the funds to pop across to Leicester too!
                No need to say I will stay in Toulouse. There is no chance I will move away from the most beautiful place in the world and the greatest Rugby team in the whole universe.

Larkham jumped up and remonstrated and Heymans was penalised. That was the end of the matter.
                Traditional punishment for this kind of fouls in the SH and in the UK.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin

There is no chance I will move away from ... the greatest Rugby team in the whole universe.
                  I didn't know you lived here in Australia.

Traditional punishment for this kind of fouls in the SH and in the UK.

Comment

• Finbar,

I have just finished to watch at Magnolia by P.T Anderson. Brilliant movie, have you seen it?

Comment

• Yes, I saw it when it was first released. Terrific film. "Punch Drunk Love", a film Anderson made a few years later, is very good too. It has Adam Sandler in it, but don't let that put you off. It's Adam Sandler like you've never seen him before. You should watch it too.

Comment

• Anything to avoid buying me a glass of Absinthe! We might even find the funds to pop across to Leicester too!
                        We may even pull in a game in the Soccer stadium – there will be plenty of seats.

Anyway, Michael Cheika seems to be the favourite at the moment.
                        Rod still has a chance – he has experience of where in the table the franchise is likely to spend it’s time.

He was never blessed with a lot of speed - his nickname is/was "Tugboat" - but he never had any trouble ploughing forward.
                        He never impressed at it at Tigers.

They have much in common.
                        In that they understand the roots of the game – and the spirit it should be played in?

It will take gumption. Something they haven't really shown for ten years. Could they come back from one down like we did?
                        Well they could yes – if Clive shows the same stubbornness Henry did of playing ‘man to the plan’ not ‘plan to the man’. You catch my drift? It will be harder for them as the NZRFU sponsors cannot afford a free hat and scarf for everyone going to the game (Vodafone became very unpopular with rugger fans here after doing that – it is a Brit company after all).

I didn't know you lived here in Australia.
                        He doesn’t – he clearly lives in Leicestershire.

Not sure I got the point about the Heymans penalty though – he would have ceded a penalty for a slide in the UK yes – and so he should.

Trivia for you – my sixteen-year-old niece has a crush on Adam Sandler – resulting in the spectacle of Havak shopping for Sandler DVDs (the shame of it…)
                        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Rod still has a chance – he has experience of where in the table the franchise is likely to spend it’s time.
                          Nuh. That's reserved for a couple of the Boks teams every year. And they've got an extra team now, so that makes three on the bottom!

In that they understand the roots of the game – and the spirit it should be played in?
                          And very closeknit. Apart from the occasional civil war. Ironically, Randwick also had an off year last year.

Well they could yes – if Clive shows the same stubbornness Henry did of playing ‘man to the plan’ not ‘plan to the man’. You catch my drift?
                          Yes I do. It will also be an interesting test of Clive's coaching abilities. After all, we all know who led the England team while he was coaching, who managed them on the field, and who singlehandedly earned Clive the kudos.

It will be harder for them as the NZRFU sponsors cannot afford a free hat and scarf for everyone going to the game (Vodafone became very unpopular with rugger fans here after doing that – it is a Brit company after all).
                          The NZRFU hand out free black outfits and signs to the crowds. Vodafone became very unpopular here, too, after that stupid sponsored streaking incident.

Not sure I got the point about the Heymans penalty though – he would have ceded a penalty for a slide in the UK yes – and so he should.
                          I think he was responding to your point about being cited for the offence. That a penalty was sufficient.

Trivia for you – my sixteen-year-old niece has a crush on Adam Sandler – resulting in the spectacle of Havak shopping for Sandler DVDs (the shame of it…)
                          Send your secretary to do it. Or the office junior. She has a crush on him at 16 years of age? Good grief. His target audience is 10 year olds. Anyway, he's very very good in the film I was talking about. Because someone else had written for him and directed him and tapped acting ability I didn't know he had.

Comment

You clearly need to be booed for this one...

BOOOOOOO!!!

Comment

• Leicester coach John Wells believes captain Martin Johnson will retire at the end of the season.

"If you see the form he is in, you may think that he can play on for another season," Wells told Radio Leicester.

"But it is the mark of the man that this might be his last. I think he might say 'I'm going to sit back, take it easy and spend my lovely money.'"

'Twill be a sad day.

Comment

• And they've got an extra team now, so that makes three on the bottom!
                                I reckon you may be right – but Perth might fight to get in there. As you say where are the front row forwards coming from?

Wonder what the franchise will be called – Perth Possums?

And very closeknit. Apart from the occasional civil war. Ironically, Randwick also had an off year last year.
                                I just hope they aren’t playing in an Aussie rules stadium?

After all, we all know who led the England team while he was coaching, who managed them on the field, and who singlehandedly earned Clive the kudos.
                                I think I know who it was.

The NZRFU hand out free black outfits and signs to the crowds.
                                Do they? Shame on them! The RFU knows the Prawn sandwich brigade will pay for any old tat on match day. Did you know they make a Polo shirt for every Twickers fixture – wonder how well the Aussie one sold this year?

I think he was responding to your point about being cited for the offence. That a penalty was sufficient.
                                Ah right! Personally I am not sure it was – leading with studs is damn dangerous.

She has a crush on him at 16 years of age? Good grief. His target audience is 10 year olds.
                                She is a very young 16 bless her. I can’t stand him myself so it’s unlikely I will pluck up courage to see that worthy movie. And I normally order DVDs from the internet so that they arrive in discrete packaging. This was an emergency shop – and I certainly don’t want the office knowing I buy Adam Sandler DVDs at all.

You clearly need to be booed for this one...
                                Guilty as charged – I have to take this on the chin.

'Twill be a sad day.
                                It will be very emotionally charged – we may be saying farewell to him and the ground on the same day. I strongly suspect that if we do win silverware he will indeed retire. And that worries me – because he is the very heart of the team. Where does the next talisman come from?

Did you catch his pragmatic reply to the journalists who pressed him on the issue?

“I don't know. And if I did, I wouldn't tell you here, at this point in the season.”

And on the Lions

“If you retire from international rugby, you know what you're getting into - or rather, you know what you're getting out of.”

All seems rather like he is thinking of retirement full stop. But then better out at the top than do a Dayglo?

*edit* Checking I see that our last home league game of the season is against Wasps on April 30th. If we (hopefully) top the table after that game it will be out last homegame of the season - and Jonno's possible farewell. That would, I think, be pretty perfect.

Comment

Working...
                                X