No announcement yet.

Rugby - Running Out of Titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So that's Mrs finbar's opinion of J**** on the calendar! And, I have to tell you, I suspect the calendar could have a big market in the gay community.
    So all those lads telling the shop assistants they are buying the calendar for their ‘partners’ may well have been telling the truth in a different way?

I have to say I have never heard that euphemism before.

Indeed. He's looking after his own self-esteem.
    Glaws played him at Fly Half Saturday and he made one or two defensive howlers. I’m not sure he will ever get that part of his game right – he tends to tackle by grabbing people around the shoulders.

It's so much simpler here - the clubs' balance sheets are only balanced if they sell enough pies and beer at half time!

Our fixture calendar remains a huge source of concern. Witness the spectacle of the ABs playing the Barbarians at HQ and not one single home nations player (or indeed French player) making the Baa-Baas because it coincided with the third round of the European competitions. RFU cash cow and club needs clashing head on yet again…

Do what Eddie did with Giteau two years ago when he was only 20. Get him blooded. If he has the ability, it will do him the world of good.
    He is so fresh to the scene that we don’t even have him registered for Europe because 8 weeks ago he wasn’t even in the first team frame. He got his chance due to international call ups and injuries and took it superbly. If his strike rate continues into the new year I think he may get that chance of a blooding. Cueto probably has the right wing sewn up until he messes up – but Lewsey is vulnerable, not least because his temperament is currently letting him down somewhat (nasty habit of tackling the neck right now).

The ABs' took the ball away to score a try - with the aid of a forward pass - which brought boos and whistles from the crowd.
    Knowledgeable crowd you see – not at all interested in seeing play continue until someone scores but rather in seeing the game played correctly – which means carding for that tackle and halting play for the forward pass.

One thing about that game is I think we saw a future AB legend – that young blindside (Kaino) is awesome. The Six shirt must be his by the time the Lions get there.

Oh, and did I hear on the BBC World Service overnight that Saints rolled Toulouse in the HC? Saints? Who haven't won a match in yonks?
    Yes. It’s hard to fathom. They have lost nine league games in a row (a sequence we started for them) and just made Lardy skipper – it should have been a recipe to be stuffed by Toulouse. Maybe Tamerlin can tell us what went wrong when he has calmed down a bit?
    And yes Tigers won the first part of the hyped up ‘Battle of Britain’ though perhaps the most remarkable thing about the game was Dayglo’s thorough lack of sportsmanship and bizarre post match remarks. How lucky England are that they got rid of him.

Thoroughly in control after just twenty minutes Harry Ellis then got binned for hands on the deck and things fell apart. Wasps scored their only try in that ten minute period but the soon to be English Kiwi Van Gisbergen kept them in the game with his boot thanks to some very one sided refereeing from Nigel Williams.

Strangely Dayglo saw us killing ball all game but didn’t manage to notice his own side doing the same – or see Lewsey make two lethal neck high tackles. Presumably he also missed his own headlock on young Ellis when Wasps conceded a penalty at the scrum and Harry went to get the ball. The bloke is an idiot.

Ah well regardless we outscored them three tries to one and I got the joy of seeing an extremely angry Dayglo use the F word right at the death when his instruction to the ref to give him a penalty try fell on deaf ears (presumably Williams did not hear him as he gave Larry everything else he asked for).
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Tamerlin, Tamerlin wherefore art thou. I crave thine wisdom ...
      (Any tidbits from LDiCesare too would be most welcome).

Altarian Prophecies has just come out over here (the boxed retail version I mean) and I need opinions. Worth it or not?
      Still haven't really gotten into the basic game very deeply but I plan to change this in the near future.

Oh, and may I say, yet again, that Toulouse is still absolutely my favourite French team?

Comment

Originally posted by Havak
        So all those lads telling the shop assistants they are buying the calendar for their ‘partners’ may well have been telling the truth in a different way?
        That unshaven, heavily-eyebrowd, glowering look with the suggestion of nakedness would be very popular in Sydney's Oxford Street. Especially in the B&D set: "Whip me, J****! Whip me!".

I have to say I have never heard that euphemism before.
        It's a very show biz expression. Feel free to use it on the terraces.

Our fixture calendar remains a huge source of concern. Witness the spectacle of the ABs playing the Barbarians at HQ and not one single home nations player (or indeed French player) making the Baa-Baas because it coincided with the third round of the European competitions. RFU cash cow and club needs clashing head on yet again…
        And the clubs would have screamed had it just been a round of league games. Pity. The Barbarian tradition deserves better.

He is so fresh to the scene that we don’t even have him registered for Europe because 8 weeks ago he wasn’t even in the first team frame. He got his chance due to international call ups and injuries and took it superbly. If his strike rate continues into the new year I think he may get that chance of a blooding. Cueto probably has the right wing sewn up until he messes up – but Lewsey is vulnerable, not least because his temperament is currently letting him down somewhat (nasty habit of tackling the neck right now).
        Didn't Lewsey miss one of the try-leaking tackles against us? I get the two England blondes confused. Yes, Cueto looks safe for a while. He seems to have better hands than Cohen. Who, I see, could be leaving Saints. Where will he go? Anyway, get the kid blooded against Scotland or Italy. You can't get into too much trouble on the wing against those teams.

Knowledgeable crowd you see – not at all interested in seeing play continue until someone scores but rather in seeing the game played correctly – which means carding for that tackle and halting play for the forward pass.
        And carding the officials who managed not to see the tackle!

One thing about that game is I think we saw a future AB legend – that young blindside (Kaino) is awesome. The Six shirt must be his by the time the Lions get there.
        Mmm. Scary, wasn't he? Very very scary. I've forgotten who he tackled near the line to save a try. Someone very big. Took two steps and stopped whomever it was in mid-air. And runs like a rabbit.

Yes. It’s hard to fathom. They have lost nine league games in a row (a sequence we started for them) and just made Lardy skipper – it should have been a recipe to be stuffed by Toulouse. Maybe Tamerlin can tell us what went wrong when he has calmed down a bit?
        On top of the All Blacks stuffing France, I think Tamerlin's given it away and now follows s*****. Or he's so traumatised by the news that Caligastia is willingly having children that he's drunk in a gutter somewhere.

Ah well regardless we outscored them three tries to one and I got the joy of seeing an extremely angry Dayglo use the F word right at the death when his instruction to the ref to give him a penalty try fell on deaf ears (presumably Williams did not hear him as he gave Larry everything else he asked for).
        Charity in victory. But then it was Wasps!
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Stupid Greek-Canadian software!
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon
            What are you doing posting after hours? Oh. I forgot. You're now twenty years and three hours behind us.

Oh, and may I say, yet again, that Toulouse is still absolutely my favourite French team?
            Save your sanity. As a former occupier of the Toulouse bandwagon, I can tell you it's not worth the heartache.

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon
              Tamerlin, Tamerlin wherefore art thou. I crave thine wisdom ...
              (Any tidbits from LDiCesare too would be most welcome).
              You have something to ask, I guess...

You really want it... fayot !

Altarian Prophecies has just come out over here (the boxed retail version I mean) and I need opinions. Worth it or not?
              Still haven't really gotten into the basic game very deeply but I plan to change this in the near future.
              I have only played the basic game though I have the add-on, I have not yet tested it. I think that LDiCesare should have, but you should be able to make up your mind by reading the Galactic Civilizations threads. As far as I know the storyline is extended and there are many things that have been added.
              "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Especially in the B&D set: "Whip me, J****! Whip me!".
                Good grief. One can only wonder if it has occurred to the players that this audience may be out there?

It's a very show biz expression. Feel free to use it on the terraces.
                “Dayglo you are a friend of Dorothy’s!”. Hmm – maybe it could be used.

Pity. The Barbarian tradition deserves better.
                As do the clubs?

Didn't Lewsey miss one of the try-leaking tackles against us?
                Yep. When he let the Kiwi hooker score.

Cohen was linked with us – but we really don’t need any more wingers. My guess is Saints will now keep him – the main reason he was leaving got sacked a few weeks ago.

Mmm. Scary, wasn't he? Very very scary
                Indeed. I see Tigers in his post-AB future. When he is all washed up at 25 or so no doubt. Wonder if he was born in NZ?

So the usual crazy stuff happening – Tony’s former spin meister confirmed for the Lions tour. Sir Ego saying he thinks it unlikely he will select any players not playing in the six nations (not taking Jonny then Clive?) – errant nonsense as if for some reason Jonno says he is available only a total **** head would not take him. Hmm – okay I see the flaw there.

And best of all Matt Dawson (32) complaining that Harry Ellis (22) tried to duff him up:

“Harry had obviously made the decision to get in my face and try to rough me up a bit. But I am a little bit more old school. I will defend myself but I am not going to get involved in stuff like that. It is not the first time Leicester have tried to rough me up a bit but it was that sort of Test-match intensity."

Harry was badgering him as he was persistently tardy in retreating after feeding the ball to the creaky Wasps scrum. But ‘rough him up’? Nothing more than handbags at the worst.

Craig Dowd, a player I have a lot of time for (just a shame he is a Wasp), had a torrid time at the hands of Julian White by the way. At the moment White looks to be set to keep Vickery out of the Lions frame.

And to seal the progression of my opinion of Wasps from fairly positive 18 months ago to entirely negative now the Crowd at the Causeway stadium boo’ed Tigers off the pitch – totally unforgiveable for a Union crowd. I personally may have called the odd West Country fan a Tosser after a game (after all if the cap fits…) – but I have never boo’ed a team off the pitch.
                It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by Havak
                  “Dayglo you are a friend of Dorothy’s!”. Hmm – maybe it could be used.
                  Even better, only you would know what it means. Oh, and the other friends of Dorothy in the crowd, of course.

As do the clubs?
                  That means everyone deserves better. Short of not playing club games when Tests and other rep matches are on, meaning about an 11 month season, it can't happen.

Yep. When he let the Kiwi hooker score.
                  And who was it who fell off Latham?

Indeed. I see Tigers in his post-AB future. When he is all washed up at 25 or so no doubt. Wonder if he was born in NZ?
                  Actually, I wondered where he was from. He looks Maori.

So the usual crazy stuff happening – Tony’s former spin meister confirmed for the Lions tour.
                  Bizarre.

And best of all Matt Dawson (32) complaining that Harry Ellis (22) tried to duff him up:
                  I read that. Dawson wants the Test spot back. Mind games.

I personally may have called the odd West Country fan a Tosser after a game (after all if the cap fits…) – but I have never boo’ed a team off the pitch.
                  If you call out "Tosser" fifteen times, that constitutes abusing a team.

Comment

something amuses Jonno

Comment

• Obviously J****'s smiling in anticipation, waiting his turn. Who's the Tiger with the very low forehead immediately to - from our perspective - Dalaglio's left? He's run headfirst into the back of too many parked cars in his life.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar

Save your sanity. As a former occupier of the Toulouse bandwagon, I can tell you it's not worth the heartache.
                        Oh well, back to Auch I go then ...

Mmmm. Both Rugbyheaven and Planetrugby are running stories dealing with the possible return of both Jonno himself and the subject of his great amusement for the Lions tour.
                        They have almost opposite takes on the outcome - one stresses that anybody not in the 6N will likely forfeit their chances - the other that Clive & Co are being very careful not to rule anybody out.

Could the truth be somewhere in the middle?
                        Might we have to wait 6 months to find out?
                        Is it ravagon's home time? Ooooh yes it is.

Comment

• That is Julian White (tighthead) who spends his rugby life running into those parked cars.

The lad with the gaping mouth is Louis Deacon – the lock I believe was about to figure for England until they injured him in an England training session two weeks before the Canada game (this was his second game back). The picture was taken immediately after the incident where Dayglo had Ellis in a headlock – Corry took exception to it so it seems?

That means everyone deserves better. Short of not playing club games when Tests and other rep matches are on, meaning about an 11 month season, it can't happen.
                          It’s a tough situation – what can we do? For the foreseeable future the autumn Baa-baa game is likely to be against a touring side.

I prefer the Barbarians game in May – right after out season ends. As the A and B England tours head off a C side is assembled and takes on a Barbarians side picked from the international Premiership, French league and (retired) UK capped talent. Despite sounding awful it has actually produced some superb games.

And who was it who fell off Latham?
                          I honestly can’t remember. My head was in my hands for the second try.

(okay, it was Hodgson I think?)

I read that. Dawson wants the Test spot back. Mind games.
                          True – but Dawse has shot it unless he quits his BBC contract. Ellis was only playing his natural game – he plays right on the line a lot of the time just as the likes of Stringer and Marshall do. Dawson is more of a Gregan in that he seldom outright boils over (but whines an awful lot!).

If you call out "Tosser" fifteen times, that constitutes abusing a team.
                          You have filmed me after a Glaws game then?

Wasps in the return leg at our place this Sunday – should be intense. The following Saturday we host Glaws in the knock out cup. Here is hoping for a good six days for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak
                            That is Julian White (tighthead) who spends his rugby life running into those parked cars.

The lad with the gaping mouth is Louis Deacon – the lock I believe was about to figure for England until they injured him in an England training session two weeks before the Canada game (this was his second game back). The picture was taken immediately after the incident where Dayglo had Ellis in a headlock – Corry took exception to it so it seems?
                            I especially like the way Corry's knee is heading for Dalaglio's cods. Shocking jerseys, though, I have to say. Tigers, I mean. Look like a s***** shirt.

I prefer the Barbarians game in May – right after out season ends. As the A and B England tours head off a C side is assembled and takes on a Barbarians side picked from the international Premiership, French league and (retired) UK capped talent. Despite sounding awful it has actually produced some superb games.
                            I'm sure it has. It's the spirit that makes or breaks the matches. But I think Barb teams should include bona fide internationals from around the world. Which means timing is an even bigger problem.

I honestly can’t remember. My head was in my hands for the second try.

(okay, it was Hodgson I think?)
                            He was involved. I think the captain and fullback was too.

True – but Dawse has shot it unless he quits his BBC contract.
                            He's better than Gomersal. More of a terrier. You need a terrier.

Wasps in the return leg at our place this Sunday – should be intense. The following Saturday we host Glaws in the knock out cup. Here is hoping for a good six days for me.
                            I might have to listen in to the BBC website for the return match. Listen for the sound of Dalaglio's nuts crunching.

Comment

• Hey thanks for that Ravagon – Rugby heaven is indeed the polar opposite isn’t it? Taking what Clive refused to rule out as indication it is likely to happen.

I suspect the bottom line is that is Jonno wants to go, whatever the capacity, space will be found for him. I can also only repeat he appears to be in the form of his life to me so forget this nonsense about not being able to step up to test level.

I am not a huge fan of the new home shirt Finbar (well I say new but it changes in August on it’s two year expiry cycle) as it has no Tiger stripes on the Torso. The Black away shirt is nice – as is the older White one that they still have to wear because so many teams have a black/green home strip – doh!

I agree with you about the Barbarians but sadly I think the Halcyon days of players pitching up regardless are totally gone.

He was involved. I think the captain and fullback was too.
                              One and the same person of course – and yes he tried to cover but fell off. He is not the worlds best defensive fullback I’ll grant you.

A question of my own – who was opposite Cueto in the defensive pattern when he scored from phase one ball (how very un-English of him)?

He's better than Gomersal. More of a terrier. You need a terrier.
                              You won’t have seen much of Ellis yet but trust me he is the ‘better terrier’. In fact he is an all around better ball player than Dawse – and also possesses good speed (can and has played on the Wing at League level).

I might have to listen in to the BBC website for the return match. Listen for the sound of Dalaglio's nuts crunching.
                              I can save you time:

Dayglo (scowling): “they are doing X give us a penalty”

Dawson (whining): “they are doing y give us a penalty please sir” (a polite whiner).

Jonno (scowling and casting an eyebrow shadow on the whole pitch): “What? Are you going to be fair to both sides mate?”

Referee (blowing whistle): “Penalty to Wasps – upsetting Lawrence. Retreat 10 please Martin.”

Martin Corry (speechless through rage): *&^%$!

Harry Ellis (held in the air by the scruff by Dayglo): THWACK (sound of a punch landing).

Oh and amongst all that somewhere we will hopefully score enough tries to offset their penalties.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar
                                :utmostcontempt:
                                "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                                X