Rugby - Running Out of Titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Havak
    Cheers Finbar I need some new rags for washing the car with.
    Oh, and I showed Mrs finbar the Tigers calendar. She took one look at the bloke on the front and declared him, um, a friend of Dorothy's.

Okay pop quiz time – who is this quote from?

“I don't think I had enough of a chance to prove myself. I would like to have had the opportunity of turning the game round, which I think I was capable of doing. The game was far from over at the time. If I was in a hole, I don't think I had enough of a chance to get out of it. It wasn't a true reflection of what I can do. They made a decision and I've always said I'd back the management up. I'm still very ambitious and the experience has not put me off. I've had time to reflect on the mistakes I made but I was trying to play positive rugby so I was surprised.

No prizes on offer.
    Indeed not. I'd already read it. Sounds very much like he's parroting the words of his positive-thinking psychologist.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by finbar

Talk to Tamerlin about the pluses and minuses of having têtards and you might change your mind about the second option.
      I am doing my best to avoid the people making THE mistake.

By the way, I am just coming back from the movie theatre where I have seen a really great movie: "Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind".

Go and enjoy!
      "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin

I am doing my best to avoid the people making THE mistake.
        No need to convince me! Convince Caligastia before it's too late!

By the way, I am just coming back from the movie theatre where I have seen a really great movie: "Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind".

Go and enjoy!
        It was showing here earlier this year. Mrs finbar saw it and loved it. Charlie Kaufman can sure write a script, can't he?
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

No need to convince me! Convince Caligastia before it's too late!
          I suspect him to be blind at this time.

It was showing here earlier this year. Mrs finbar saw it and loved it. Charlie Kaufman can sure write a script, can't he?
          Yep! Great movie, great actors, great dialogues, great story, two thumbs up, one of the best movies I have seen this year...
          "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Did you see Adaptation? Another great Kaufman script, apart from the third act. But then that might have been his little joke - the film was about the difficulty of writing a film script!

Comment

I suspect him to be blind at this time.
              Clearly he is. It's up to you to remove the store vénitien from his eyes!

Comment

Okay so what are you two talking about? Sounds like Chick-Flicks to me.

She took one look at the bloke on the front and declared him, um, a friend of Dorothy's.
                Okay I’ll bite here – who is Dorothy?

Sounds very much like he's parroting the words of his positive-thinking psychologist.
                Excellent spot – I knew the syntax reminded me of something I’d seen before – it is psychologist nonsense indeed.

Subbed after 26 minutes tactically and it hasn’t put him off? There’s positive thinking and then there is blinkered thinking.

Tigers coach is known not to be comfortable with the media – and is also known for plain speaking – but this is probably worthy of Eddie?

John Wells on the club versus country row: “Everybody wants too much of the same meat. The only way round it is to segregate an international period and a club period. Andy Robinson doesn't want his players kicked, torn and twisted when he gets them, nor do I."

Wells has had to cope with several of our England players returning to the club with injuries ahead of our titanic double clash with the Wasps.

The best thing though is his dig at Sale. Philippe Saint-Andre (Sale DOR) has called for clubs who release more than five players for Test matches to be able to postpone games during the international window. Which is hilarious as previously Sale have always voted to play through these weekends as it never affected them. Wells is aware of this so commented:

“My answer would be for the idiots who allowed the agreement to be signed to sort out a new one. Leicester have always stuck up for ourselves, and been out-voted since the year dot. Sale wouldn't have given a toss a few years ago, but it has affected a number of clubs over the past few years. Two years ago it was Northampton and Bath as well, and last year Wasps had a lot of players away. Until all the clubs can see the big picture, and realise that at some point we are all going to be inconvenienced, it is going to continue. We have been rattling the cage for five years now and nothing has changed. If anything it has got worse. It used to be just the autumn Tests but now we will be playing through the Six Nations as well.”

Straight talking common sense – ERP and the RFU might need an interpreter therefore.

Check out the full article on BBC Sport because it mentions our ‘Giteau’ – a 19 year old English wing named Tom Varndell who looks every inch the future of England.
                It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Clearly he is. It's up to you to remove the store vénitien from his eyes!
                  This not a store vénitien, this is a beam.

Comment

The best thing though is his dig at Sale. Philippe Saint-Andre (Sale DOR) has called for clubs who release more than five players for Test matches to be able to postpone games during the international window. Which is hilarious as previously Sale have always voted to play through these weekends as it never affected them. Wells is aware of this so commented: ...
                    The problem was also felt in France where the Stade Toulousain had to manage three championship games with a team lacking between 8 to 9 international players.

The problem is that this kind of situation is neither fair for the Stade Toulousain and neither fair for the team that meet a full strength Stade Toulousain before and after the test matches.

Comment

Okay so what are you two talking about? Sounds like Chick-Flicks to me.
                      The films? They're written by Charlie Kaufman, who first came to fame with Being John Malkovich, the film about some people who find - literally - a portal into the actor John Malkovich's brain. He's a breath of fresh screenwriting air.

Okay I’ll bite here – who is Dorothy?
                      Mmmm. How to explain? The Dorothy in the reference is Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz, the character played by Judy Garland in the film. "A friend of Dorothy" is a very old euphemism, dating from the late 1940s and 1950s, for, um, a woolly woofter. So that's Mrs finbar's opinion of J**** on the calendar! And, I have to tell you, I suspect the calendar could have a big market in the gay community.

Subbed after 26 minutes tactically and it hasn’t put him off? There’s positive thinking and then there is blinkered thinking.
                      Indeed. He's looking after his own self-esteem.

Straight talking common sense – ERP and the RFU might need an interpreter therefore.
                      It is common sense. I don't know what the answer is. Leaving aside the Sale bod changing his tune, which reflects short-term, selfish thinking in the first place, it's one of the problems when the League gets as big as it is, with the clubs run as businesses. Loss of players now means more than it once might have. Now, you've got two businesses - clubs and RFU - each wanting the majority of the player pie. It's so much simpler here - the clubs' balance sheets are only balanced if they sell enough pies and beer at half time!

Check out the full article on BBC Sport because it mentions our ‘Giteau’ – a 19 year old English wing named Tom Varndell who looks every inch the future of England.
                      Do what Eddie did with Giteau two years ago when he was only 20. Get him blooded. If he has the ability, it will do him the world of good.

Comment

This not a store vénitien, this is a beam.
                        There you are with your understatement again! It's a Giant Californian Redwood!

Comment

Did you see Adaptation? Another great Kaufman script, apart from the third act. But then that might have been his little joke - the film was about the difficulty of writing a film script!
                          No I haven't seen this movie, actually I am afraid that eternal sunshine of the spotless mind is the only Kaufman's movie I have seen thus far. I have heard many good things about being John Malkovich though...

Comment

Well worth seeing. Only a small film, but quite astonishing in its concept. Spike Jonze directed it. He also directed Adaptation.

Comment

All Blacks 2nd XV 47 -d- Barbarians 19

Scrappy, disappointing match. The All Blacks 2nd XV were just too cohesive for a Barbs outfit that never got its act together. G Henry won't be pleased by the Barbs' scratch pack shoving the ABs' pack around the park.

The highlight was a lowlight - the utter incompetence of the ref and linesman who both somehow managed not to see ABs' halfback Cowan fell Matt Rogers not only late but with a swinging arm around the throat. The ABs' took the ball away to score a try - with the aid of a forward pass - which brought boos and whistles from the crowd. The linesman? Tappe Henning, he who recently publicly criticised Paul Honiss. Replays showed the incident happening right in front of Henning.

Oh, and did I hear on the BBC World Service overnight that Saints rolled Toulouse in the HC? Saints? Who haven't won a match in yonks?

Comment

Oh, and in case Havak forgets to tell us, Leciester fell over the line against Wasps.

Oh, and in case anyone thought Clive had a handle on reality, he had 178,000 new-fangled video cameras at Twickers covering the All Blacks' 2nd XV's movements against the Barbarians. The images even have little vapor trails that follow the players' movements on the field. Apparently Saints have the same cameras installed. Fat lot of good it's done them. Except against Toulouse, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X