No announcement yet.

Let the good times roll! -- 337,000 new jobs in October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not going to politicize this. This is good news!

337,000 new jobs! I saw on TV that they were mostly high-paying too. Even Florida and everything doesn't make up the difference. 337,000 new jobs!

(No, I'm not endorsing Bush's economic policies either though. Wait for a cold day in Hell and I might. )
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

• Originally posted by mrmitchell
      I'm not going to politicize this. This is good news!

337,000 new jobs! I saw on TV that they were mostly high-paying too. Even Florida and everything doesn't make up the difference. 337,000 new jobs!

(No, I'm not endorsing Bush's economic policies either though. Wait for a cold day in Hell and I might. )
      As to not endorsing Bush's economic policies? Why?
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned

As to not endorsing Bush's economic policies? Why?
        Maybe he doesn't want to look like an ass. This doesn't mean ****.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Kid, but he seems to enjoy the fruits of the policy. Is the lack of endorsement of the policy simple politics?
          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• BTW, I hear that foreigners continue to finance our deficit which is adding significantly to US demand. The Fed may raise interest rates, which will provide further incentive for foreign investment in Treasuries. It seems the good times will continue to roll.

Comment

Kid, but he seems to enjoy the fruits of the policy. Is the lack of endorsement of the policy simple politics?
              Yeah. I don't know. He will have to say.

Comment

BTW, I hear that foreigners continue to finance our deficit which is adding significantly to US demand. The Fed may raise interest rates, which will provide further incentive for foreign investment in Treasuries. It seems the good times will continue to roll.
                The deficit is still being mainly financed by asian central banks. That doesn't add to demand for US goods. It does keep interest rates lower. But as the Fed raises interest rates that should encourage more foreign investment. Of course the Fed is primarly concerned with heading off inflation. Attracting foreign investment is a secondary concern. If prices stay weak they will probably stop raising interest rates.

Comment

• Kid, but he seems to enjoy the fruits of the policy. Is the lack of endorsement of the policy simple politics?
                  If I have confounded Ned and Kid, my day is complete.
                  meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

• Woot! Woot! Weak dollar!

By Doug Palmer

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. trade deficit narrowed more than expected in September as a rise in exports to unprecedented levels offset the impact of record-high prices for imported oil, a government report showed on Wednesday.

The monthly trade gap totaled $51.6 billion, down from a revised $53.5 billion in August, the Commerce Department said. Economists had forecast the September trade deficit would come in at $53.5 billion, only slightly lower than the original estimate for August of $54.0 billion.

"It is pretty encouraging news and says that we will probably get an upward revision to third-quarter GDP (gross domestic product)," said David Resler, chief economist with Nomura Securities International in New York.

"The deficit was $2 billion smaller than consensus expectations. It does point to some noticeable upward revision to GDP, offsetting some negative indicators we have had recently," he added.

However, soaring oil costs pushed the price of goods imported into the United States up 1.5 percent in October, the Labor Department said in a separate report. That was nearly double Wall Street forecasts.

Federal Reserve policy-makers, gathered in Washington to discuss interest-rate strategy, may take note of the surge in import prices. Economists expect the central bank to lift borrowing costs later on Wednesday, the fourth rise this year.

With oil prices hitting a record in October, the cost of petroleum products climbed 11.7 percent last month, the Labor Department report said.

DOLLAR FALL YIELDING BENEFITS

The Commerce report said exports hit a record $97.5 billion in September, suggesting a weakening dollar is making American goods more competitive around the world.

The dollar firmed initially after the trade report, but then sank to new record lows against the euro as traders used the dollar rally as an opportunity to sell the greenback.

In a sign global trade imbalances remain far from resolved, the politically-sensitive gap with China set another record at $15.5 billion, as imports from the Asian manufacturing powerhouse rose 1.7 percent to a record $18.4 billion.

The dollar has fallen against the currencies of major trading partners and has hit record lows versus the euro in large part on worries about a trade shortfall that remains on track to set a new record this year.

While the trade gap fell more than expected in September, it was still the third-highest on record.

Meanwhile, the number of Americans filing initial claims for unemployment benefits rose last week to 333,000, the Labor Department said in separate report.

A Reuters poll of analysts had forecast first-time claims for state unemployment benefits to climb to 340,000 in the week ended Nov. 6 from 331,000 the previous week. This was revised from 332,000 initially reported.

The Commerce Department said U.S. exports of consumer goods and industrial supplies and materials set records in September, while exports of autos and auto parts were second only to the record set in August.

Imports totaled $149.0 billion in September, down fractionally from August's record level. Average prices for imported oil hit $37.62 per barrel, up more than 40 percent from the same month last year, the data showed.

Non-oil imports hit a record $109.0 billion, led by record auto and auto parts imports and an increase in capital goods imports to the highest level since December 2000.
                    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• 1337 new jobs!!!
                      "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                      George Orwell

Comment

• Damn, I was just going to post that, Ogie! Weak dollar!!!
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• A weak dollar and lower oil prices are good, but I don't know if that situation is going to continue.

Comment

Working...
                          X