Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does your side usually win in forum threads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's got you by the balls there I'm afraid... though I'd actually be tempted to say the Weimar Republic in Germany... but that's a self defeating example.
    I wouldn't say so. I can't think of any successful society that has been run on strict Libertarian principles. The problem is that too many people need the government to tell them what to do.

If I were a fascist dictator I'd lock up the Libertarians for the sheer fun of it. Then I'd give away all their property to the least deserving bums I knew and make a public bonfire of the rest.

Now that would be a good day.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Yeh... it's why I still think the Mill Limit holds but falls apart under human nature (different context). A consistent philosophy's only logical conclusion is the mass-suicide of the human race. Not a particularly bad thing I might add.
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai

Own goal.

Edit: Background so that other people can understand: Creative Technology recently reported quarterly results. Sales were up 30%, profits fell 84%.

Asher response: "That's what they get for having high quality players for low prices. Still a profitable company, sales are up. It's all good."
        That's not the point -- you said they were selling their products at a loss.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out you would not make a profit if you sold your products at a loss.

You disagreed.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
          Yeh... it's why I still think the Mill Limit holds but falls apart under human nature (different context). A consistent philosophy's only logical conclusion is the mass-suicide of the human race. Not a particularly bad thing I might add.
          All philosophies, when followed to their logical conclusion, advocate the extinction of the human race? How did you determine that this is true?

Comment

All philosophies, if they are consistent, lead to mine, which leads to the extinction of the human race

I mean really, ask a silly question...
            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
              A true debator is one who can deconstruct another's view, point out the fallacies or defeat it using the superiority of his own position, given the same assumptions, and most people here never get beyond that point. Half of the time people can't even agree on the most basic of definitions... everything has to be on everyones own terms... rarely can anyone play devils advocate and so the debate can be red-herringed by some onto pedantic issues that favour them.

Lesser minds
              I disagree that someone who hasn't the habit of deconstructing the opponent's reasoning is a élesser mind". It takes a specific education to refute arguments, instead of simply opposing them. To believe that refutation is the only way to debate properly is, as you'd put it, pedantic
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Refutation is fine as long as you actually address the arguments and not go off on a red herring or argue about extents and real-world universalisable examples of the premises of the definitions!!!

I should think that education is somewhat crucial, though of course the art of reasoning is a dying one. Burn the ignorant

Comment

Please don't bur me. I've drank for the past 4 hours, and as such, I'm very inflammable right now
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Awww but Spiffor!!! It's bonfire night soon and I need effigies!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Whaleboy
                      All philosophies, if they are consistent, lead to mine, which leads to the extinction of the human race

I mean really, ask a silly question...
                      It's not a silly question. I wanted more details. For starters define your philosophy. The philosophy which all other philosophies logically distill into.

Comment

Awww but Spiffor!!! It's bonfire night soon and I need effigies!!
                        My gorlfriend will disagree with me being burnt at the stake. Sorry, but I can't help you

Ask Drogue: he's your friend, maybe he'll accept to be burnt if it can please you

Comment

• It doesn't take a genius to figure out you would not make a profit if you sold your products at a loss.
                          If they have investments, it is possible for the company to make a profit while still selling its products at a loss.

Refuted.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Ask Drogue: he's your friend, maybe he'll accept to be burnt if it can please you
                            Unfortunately I must face reality and realise that I don't have sufficient power over people to make them willingly jump onto raging bonfires at my whim .

What's a gorlfriend? A jewish golfing partner?

Comment

• It's not a silly question. I wanted more details. For starters define your philosophy. The philosophy which all other philosophies logically distill into.
                              It's late, it's too complex, no-one would understand it, I'm in no state to articulate it, or put the effort into it. I'll get back to you when I'm a great philosopher, and thus have riches and fame beyond my wildest expectations, such that getting your computer confiscated is less effort than actually answering your question . In case that doesn't scratch your pedantic itch, I'm half joking re my conceptual omnipotence.

Comment

It's late, it's too complex, no-one would understand it, I'm in no state to articulate it, or put the effort into it. I'll get back to you when I'm a great philosopher, and thus have riches and fame beyond my wildest expectations, such that getting your computer confiscated is less effort than actually answering your question . In case that doesn't scratch your pedantic itch, I'm half joking re my conceptual omnipotence.
                                Now If I were to go on rambling about how consistently adhering to any number of philosophies does not require as a consequence any advocation of the extinction of the human race would this constitute any sort of "win" on my part in poly terms? I've noticed in the past that often times when one polytubbie simply grows weary with participating in an uninteresting debate the other side likes to immediately claim 'victory' on the grounds that the bored and now absent side of the debate has somehow conceded the debate by going off to do something productive or interesting. Maybe this thread would be a good place for us to recognize that you don't 'win' a debate as a result of such an outcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X