How Bremer screwed up in Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Bremer screwed up in Iraq

According to the NYTimes, Bremer's dismissing of the Army, his refusal to pay severance or salaries, his refusal to accept Colonels and Generals of the old army in the new, all contributed greatly to the insurgency that broke out last year. Virtually everyone in the military was against what Bremer did. Rumsfeld did not approve. No one above Bremer was involved in the decision approved it and many disapproved of it.

Bremer must assume full responsibility for the chaos and the insurgency resulting from his order dismissing the Army. I for one condemn you, you bastard!

Last of three articles in series Catastrophic Success portrays American decision to disband Iraqi military as major missed opportunity, casting shadow over occupation of Iraq that continues to present day; says American administrator L Paul Bremer III decided to formally dissolve Iraqi military and methodically build new one, battalion by battalion, against advice of senior American generals; says this decision deprived United States forces of way to put Iraqi face on occupation as violent insurgency convulsed nation; says Bremer believed that problems with crime and violence in Iraq stemmed from Iraqi fears that Saddam Hussein and his Baathist supporters might outlast American occupation and regain power; says Bremer sought bold action to demonstrate that Baathists were through, once and for all; notes that role of top Bush administration officials in approving Bremer plan is unclear; says plan was more contentious in Iraq than many in Washington realized, with much of debate focusing on plan overseen by Bremer aide Walter B Slocombe to establish new army from ground up; says Slocombe argued that his plan would produce more reliable ally, but training of Iraq security forces was very slow, and they did not acquit themselves well when fighting erupted in Falluja; photos (L)

Excerpts:

"But senior American generals were privately urging a much different approach, according to interviews with military and civilian officials. Top commanders were meeting secretly with former Iraqi officers to discuss the best way to rebuild the force and recall Iraqi soldiers back to duty when Mr. Bremer arrived in Baghdad with his plan.

"It was absolutely the wrong decision," said Col. Paul Hughes of the Army, who served as an aide to Jay Garner, a retired three-star general and the first civilian administrator of Iraq. "We changed from being a liberator to an occupier with that single decision,'' he said. "By abolishing the army, we destroyed in the Iraqi mind the last symbol of sovereignty they could recognize and as a result created a significant part of the resistance."

"In a memo to the Pentagon, Mr. Bremer , noted his desire that "my arrival in Iraq be marked by clear, public and decisive steps to reassure Iraqis that we are determined to eradicate Saddamism." While his main purpose was to promote the de-Baathification of Iraq, plans to abolish Mr. Hussein's army soon became part of the initiative. Mr. Slocombe, who was under secretary of defense in the Clinton administration, recommended that the Iraqi military and the Ministry of Defense be formally eliminated.

As he saw it, the Iraqi Army had gone AWOL. There were no longer intact divisions, and many military vehicles and bases had been looted. Moreover, Mr. Slocombe thought the force was corrupt and dominated by Sunni officers. He did not believe it was feasible to recall the existing army and felt there was no choice but to build a new one from scratch.

After he arrived in Iraq, Mr. Slocombe met with Mr. Naima, former Iraqi officers and General McKiernan. Mr. Slocombe thanked the Iraqi officers but made it clear that he did not view them as the nucleus of a new Iraqi command, a participant said. It was a blow not only to the Iraqis but to the American military officers who thought they were identifying senior officers to help remake the army."

"The role of top Bush administration officials in approving the plan is unclear. Mr. Slocombe said the decision was the subject of extensive consultations with senior Defense Department officials in Washington. A draft of Mr. Bremer's decree abolishing the army, he said, was sent to Mr. Rumsfeld before it was issued.

Lawrence Di Rita, Mr. Rumsfeld's spokesman, said in an e-mail message that the issue was not taken up by cabinet-level officials and was "definitely not one that the secretary of defense decided."

General Peter Pace of the Marines, the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the Joint Chiefs were not consulted about the decision.

Condoleezza Rice, Mr. Bush's national security adviser, indicated that the idea did not originate in the National Security Council but acknowledged that the White House did not object."
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Yeah, this whole mess is Bremer's fault. The guy they put in charge...

Comment

Bremer's dismissing of the Army, his refusal to pay severance or salaries, his refusal to accept Colonels and Generals of the old army in the new, all contributed greatly to the insurgency that broke out last year.
      That makes sense to me.

Virtually everyone in the military was against what Bremer did. Rumsfeld did not approve. No one above Bremer was involved in the decision approved it and many disapproved of it.

Bremer must assume full responsibility for the chaos and the insurgency resulting from his order dismissing the Army.
      This, however, is called scapegoating. If Rummy and thought Bremer was wrong on this, he should have forced him to change track or fired him.

Who chose Bremer for the post?

Clearly the people doing the choosing didn't pick very well.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Arrian, that would require admitting they made a mistake. We all know the current administration is incapable of doing that.

-Drachasor
        "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Bush said the only mistakes were some of his appointments.

Bremer was a mistake.
          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Wasn't there a guy before Bremer? Wasn't he, too, a mistake?

Or, perhaps it's that there is no one capable of doing what Bremer was expected to do. Perhaps the whole operation was deeply flawed, and thus the only possible outcome was failure?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Ah, the joy of scapegoatting .
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                Wasn't there a guy before Bremer? Wasn't he, too, a mistake?

Or, perhaps it's that there is no one capable of doing what Bremer was expected to do. Perhaps the whole operation was deeply flawed, and thus the only possible outcome was failure?

-Arrian
                General Garner supported the plan to recall the Army.

Comment

Good for him. But wasn't he removed because the administration thought he was doing poorly? I honestly don't remember, but I thought he left under heavy criticism.

Anyway, the main point is that while Bremer bears direct responsibility, that doesn't absolve his superiors (Rummy, and ultimately Bush).

-Arrian

Comment

Arrian, I remember at the time that admin said that Bremer was a planned replacement. I find that to be unbelievable. But given that what Bremer wanted to do with the Army was opposed by everyone in the DOD, I think that State somehow won a bureaucratic battle vs. Defense to the great harm of both Iraq and the US.

Comment

As I recall, Ned, the reason given at the time for disbanding the Army was that the Army was too politically entangled with the Baathist regime and thus had to be rebuilt from scratch (de-Baathification). This, IIRC, was a Neocon argument.

This was probably true of high ranking officers. But the rank 'n file... that was a big mistake.

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                        Bush said the only mistakes were some of his appointments.

Bremer was a mistake.
                        How convenient that once you make an appointment to something, it completely absolves you of any future and/or past responsibility.
                        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Ned, Bremer couldn't piss without permission. I remember Cheney talking about dismissing the Iraqi Army before the invasion was even started. Cheney pointed out how better off Costa Rica is without a military but that totally ignores that Costa Rica's in a relatively nice neighborhood and Iraq is in the worst neighborhood in the world. If the Bush boys are all talking about disbanding the Iraqi Army before the invasion was even started then how come it suddenly becomes Bremers fault? After all Bremer was micromanaged to the extreme.

Any body else think the administration is just trying to turn Bremer into a fall guy?
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            Ah, the joy of scapegoatting .

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                              As I recall, Ned, the reason given at the time for disbanding the Army was that the Army was too politically entangled with the Baathist regime and thus had to be rebuilt from scratch (de-Baathification). This, IIRC, was a Neocon argument.

This was probably true of high ranking officers. But the rank 'n file... that was a big mistake.

-Arrian
                              Maybe. However, everyone in the Pentagon seemed to oppose it because the knew disbanding the Army was more than counterproductive on a practical level.

Comment

Working...
                              X