This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kidicious

You can't perceive things that only exist in your mind deary.

You can, Bush perceived a threat of WMDs in Iraq.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
        Value is only in our minds, Kid. Even basic necessities, like food. If I've already eaten, more food is unnecessary and thus becomes a luxury, not a necessity. It's value to me drops.
        Does it matter if it's in your mind? Are you saying value doesn't exist?
        It's total folly to try and set an objective value to something, because there are 6 billion people on this planet and each of us has different wants/needs and means. Something very valueable to you might be junk to me, and vice-versa.

-Arrian
        This isn't an argument concerning the current debate.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Some of you are caught up on the price thing. Value is independent of price. In fact, it exists exclucively to trade itself.

What value do things have that you produce or do for yourself?

Comment

• Originally posted by Drachasor

per·ceive Audio pronunciation of "perceive" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr-sv)
            tr.v. per·ceived, per·ceiv·ing, per·ceives

1. To become aware of directly through any of the senses, especially sight or hearing.
            2. To achieve understanding of; apprehend.

It's number 2.

-Drachasor
            Ok then. Not all of us are perceiving value.

Comment

• I think this is a good explaination. Thanx to Arrian.

Arrian is saying that value exists in our mind. That's sort of true, but not quite. Desire exists in our mind. Things that satisfy our desires have value. In order for our desires to be satisfied, work must be done. Therefore work creates value, and value satisfies desire.

Comment

• Yes but value is only as much as the desire.

Comment

• Therefore desire creates value, not the actual work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flip McWho
                    Therefore desire creates value, not the actual work.
                    What if the good or service already exists.

Comment

Yes but value is only as much as the desire.
                      Desire is more actually.

Comment

• Well the good or service exists at all times but it has no inherent value. It is not untill somebody desires to make use of the good or service that it gets value attributed to it.

Comment

• Desire is more actually.
                          Well yes but thats only because the cost price of something takes into account all other factors that go into production.

Comment

Well the good or service exists at all times but it has no inherent value. It is not untill somebody desires to make use of the good or service that it gets value attributed to it.
                            If I want pancakes. I make pancakes. My desire doesn't make the pancakes. The value is in the satisfying of the desire. The desire doesn't satisfy itself. I satisfy it by my work.

Comment

• Take for example say somebody who sells car stereos in ummmm the middle of the Amazon. They are working away selling car stereos but there is noone about to buy them. Therefore he makes no money and his work is not valued.

Or possibly a better example, a factory produces a new kinda of candy bar. Unfortunately for the company nobody likes this new candy bar. So no candy bars sell. The company makes no money and declares bankruptcy. The workers who worked don't get paid. Therefore there work had no value to them.

Comment

Well yes but thats only because the cost price of something takes into account all other factors that go into production.
                                Price has nothing to do with it. We can never satisfy all of our wants because of the limitations of value.

Comment

Working...
                                X