Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and yall know what this means, right? we're INBREDS
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
      so a zulu shares a recent (3500 years is recent) ancestor with a mexica? a celt with a thai? explain. how could people in god damn south africa be related to people in mexico, especially thousands of years AFTER the bering strait was submerged.
      It is expected that their bloodline mixed in recent history with someone of Eurasian origin, I guess.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

ah-hick

Comment

spiffor:

blah? by recent history you mean when? 1500 BC or 1900?

and i doubt that... how much contact do Zulus have with indiginous mexicans today? how many zulu-mexican indian couples do you know?
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

unfortunately, as always happens with scientific journalism, the article doesn't tell you jack squat... i'm trying to understand how they did this and what inputs into the program they assumed...

Read the Nature article if you're curious.

I think this summary is detailed enough for the lay audience. I don't see any reason why they should explain their presumably fairly complicated algorithms dictating migration and mating in this article.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

Wow. It is indeed a difficult concept to get your mind around, but I don't think I've ever seen a Poly thread so universally misunderstood.

Comment

spiffor:

blah? by recent history you mean when? 1500 BC or 1900?

and i doubt that... how much contact do Zulus have with indiginous mexicans today? how many zulu-mexican indian couples do you know?

Rohde's claims in no way imply that there were Zulu-Mexican couples.
                "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                -Bokonon

Comment

apparently, i have to pay to view the full article... i suppose the public library should have the issue in a week or two?

Comment

Ramo:

then how could they share a common ancestor so long after the bering strait submerged?

Comment

I think it's bunk.

There are groups of people who have only married among themselves for the last 3500 years, surely.

I think it's a model of how things could work, not how they did work.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

You don't think a single person made it across without the land bridge?
                        -Bokonon

Comment

I think it's bunk.

There are groups of people who have only married among themselves for the last 3500 years, surely.

I think it's a model of how things could work, not how they did work.

Why do you say that?
                          -Bokonon

Comment

the jews

You don't think a single person made it across without the land bridge?
                            umm... historical research says yes... there's only speculation about the phoenicians, polynesians, etc. getting over to the americas.

Comment

Incidentally, it's odd seeing all these Polytubbies calling bull**** on a study published in a top-tier journal like Nature without actually haveing read the article.
                              -Bokonon

Comment

umm... historical research says yes...

What "historical research"?
                                -Bokonon

Comment

Working...
                                X