Political Compass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

How, precisely, do individuals evade the income tax?

Back up your bald assertions, please.
    I'll give you a chance and assume it was a joke.

And you know, companies are pressured to donate to charity and such
    Yeah stop being ridiculous. Are you seriously comparing a system where companies give 0.5% of their profit to charity, and then spend 2% of it to advertise it to another where roving bands created communities are built around communal property?
    Last edited by Fake Boris; October 1, 2004, 16:54.
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

How can you have zero price? That in itself is a violation of the laws.
      You've never seen free offers.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• There is no such thing as a free lunch.

I don't know if that is true or not but I heard it once.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin

You've never seen free offers.
          Look. This shouldn't be so hard to understand. Do I really have to keep trying to explain this?
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Please do.

Comment

• Free is free, surely?
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                I'll give you a chance and assume it was a joke.

I'll give you a chance and assume you're just ignorant, rather than genuinely stupid.

Corporations manage to get tax breaks a lot of the time. Individuals have a far more difficult time of it.

Yeah stop being ridiculous. Are you seriously comparing a system where companies give 0.5% of their profit to charity, and then spend 2% of it to advertise it to another where roving bands created communities are built around communal property?

You said:

It's not a blatant assertion, it's based on the observations of anthropologists and historians. For instance, did you know that in the tribes of Algonquian tradition wealth was required to be redistributed? Not only by tradition, but also under the threat of social exclusion?

Both of those statements are true today, though the latter more strongly than the former. While we may not live in a purely communal society, we also aren't hunter/gatherers (or primitive agrarian people). If you want to go off somewhere in northern Canada like that, be my guest. Don't ***** about the rest of us enjoying the comforts of technology and progress.

You have fallen for the total idiocy of the noble savage.

Are you seriously suggesting that we should have a society like that of the Indians? Are you seriously suggesting such a society is possible without actually living like they did? Are you stupid enough to think that, even if such a society is possible, it's not your ****ing right to force society to conform to some strict standard, dictated by you, because you don't like it that other people don't have to give you the proceeds of THEIR labor?

Comment

Corporations manage to get tax breaks a lot of the time. Individuals have a far more difficult time of it.

You know that many rich individuals (effectively) incorporate themselves to take advantage of the corporate tax set up? Why do you think so many proprietary company shareholders don't pay themselves salaries above the income tax allowance threshold, and put so much **** through their companies?

Comment

• Look. This shouldn't be so hard to understand. Do I really have to keep trying to explain this?

Charity?
                    Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
                    The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
                    Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
                    We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

• Excuse me? What do you mean by "put so much **** through their companies?" That barely makes grammatical sense.

Anyway, income tax has comparatively few breaks, most notably donations to charity (like the $3 billion Bill Gates gave to his educational foundation a few months ago) and similar. Besides that, there's very little someone can do to cut their taxes.

Maybe it's different in Britain, but my dad's shown my how the whole thing works (and this happens to be part of his area of specialty).

Comment

Excuse me? What do you mean by "put so much **** through their companies?" That barely makes grammatical sense.
                        s**t. As in they'll do lots of stuff with expenditure and assets through their company in order to deduct expenses. For example, you can take your staff (e.g your family) down the pub and pay for their drinks and meal and put it through the company credit card as company expenditure. That means that rather than paying 100% of the cost out of their pocket the tax man pays for a proportion equal to the highest rate of income tax, whatever that may be.

Anyway, income tax has comparatively few breaks, most notably donations to charity (like the $3 billion Bill Gates gave to his educational foundation a few months ago) and similar. Besides that, there's very little someone can do to cut their taxes.

Maybe it's different in Britain, but my dad's shown my how the whole thing works (and this happens to be part of his area of specialty).
                        Yes, I'm sure you fully understand the intricacies of tax. Its such a simple subject to master.

edit - spelling

Comment

• s**t. As in they'll do lots of stuff with expenditure and assets through their company in order to deduct expenses. For example, you can take your staff (e.g your family) down the pub and pay for their drinks and meal and put it through the company credit card as company expenditure. That means that rather than paying 100% of the cost of the drinks out of their pocket the tax man pays for a proportion equal to the highest rate of income tax, whatever that may be.

People at all levels do that. In fact, there was an uproar about a year ago IIRC about District employees misusing government credit cards.

Yes, I'm sure you fully understand the intricasies of tax. Its such a simple subject to master.

No, I don't, and I doubt you do either, which I why I'll trust the authority when he makes a statement that isn't directly contradicted by experience or logic.

Comment

Yes, I'm sure you fully understand the intricasies of tax. Its such a simple subject to master.

No, I don't, and I doubt you do either,
                            The difference is I do it as my job.

Comment

s**t. As in they'll do lots of stuff with expenditure and assets through their company in order to deduct expenses. For example, you can take your staff (e.g your family) down the pub and pay for their drinks and meal and put it through the company credit card as company expenditure. That means that rather than paying 100% of the cost of the drinks out of their pocket the tax man pays for a proportion equal to the highest rate of income tax, whatever that may be.

People at all levels do that. In fact, there was an uproar about a year ago IIRC about District employees misusing government credit cards.
                              This isn't misusing though, its perfectly acceptable tax avoidance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin

The difference is I do it as my job.
                                Well set up and executed there Dauphin
                                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                                X