Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That alone deserves another

You mean besides wars and stuff?

(That's being generous, btw - it's still a blatant assertion on your part that they didn't.)

btw, Natalinasmpf is a she.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
      At what price does Snickers have to sell their candy bars to sell 50 times as many? How about 100 times? ... 1000 times?

What's the point?
      The 'laws' of demand and supply don't not hold true at the extremes. That's just one example. There are others.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• What do you mean?

What sort of extreme?

I don't get your point. Do you mean that the mathematical abstraction of demand and supply fails at extremes? If that's what you're talking about, it isn't a critique of the theory, given that the general supply and demand laws are exactly that, general. They're supposed to be mathematical approximations.

That would be like saying light doesn't obey the inverse-square law because light from the sun doesn't obey the inverse-square law.

Comment

• That would be like saying light doesn't obey the inverse-square law because light from the sun doesn't obey the inverse-square law.
          shut up

and i'm clueless too as to where kidicious is going with that...
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• shut up

Why?

Comment

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris

He's right. Super-egalitarian societies like the Amerindian ones had virtually no crime.
              Good point. Eliminate property and possessions and there is nothing to covet.
              http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• don't get ***** slapped, kuciwalker... inverse square laws my ass...
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

What do you mean?

What sort of extreme?

I don't get your point. Do you mean that the mathematical abstraction of demand and supply fails at extremes? If that's what you're talking about, it isn't a critique of the theory, given that the general supply and demand laws are exactly that, general. They're supposed to be mathematical approximations.
                  laws aren't general. The're suppose to always hold true. But the're really just theories that don't hold true at the extremes. That's what we're talking about, right?

Comment

• left/right econ: 3.62
                    lib/auth soc: -7.44
                    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

That alone deserves another

You mean besides wars and stuff?

(That's being generous, btw - it's still a blatant assertion on your part that they didn't.)

btw, Natalinasmpf is a she.
                      It's not a blatant assertion, it's based on the observations of anthropologists and historians. For instance, did you know that in the tribes of Algonquian tradition wealth was required to be redistributed? Not only by tradition, but also under the threat of social exclusion?
                      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• who cares at what price snickers needs to sell in order to sell 100 or a 1000 more. thats not the point of demand and supply - the point of demand and supply is to make sure that at a certain price, demand and supply are equal.

they might sell a thousand more, but then there would be more demand for them then there are snickers, thus they would increase the price until the amount they can supply will also equal the amount demanded.

which is also the point of maximum profits.
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                          It's not a blatant assertion, it's based on the observations of anthropologists and historians. For instance, did you know that in the tribes of Algonquian tradition wealth was required to be redistributed? Not only by tradition, but also under the threat of social exclusion?

Imagine that, people providing pressure on others to share their wealth! and forced redistribution! We should do that!

Oh, wait.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious
                            laws aren't general. The're suppose to always hold true. But the're really just theories that don't hold true at the extremes. That's what we're talking about, right?

The "law of demand and supply", as a precise mathematical rule, is only true in the limit as time goes to infinity. That's because it's a crude mathematical approximation of a chaotic system.

The law of supply and demand (and the theory behind laissez-faire capitalism) is true in the same way it is true that evolution through natural selection produces the most fit organisms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                              who cares at what price snickers needs to sell in order to sell 100 or a 1000 more. thats not the point of demand and supply - the point of demand and supply is to make sure that at a certain price, demand and supply are equal.

they might sell a thousand more, but then there would be more demand for them then there are snickers, thus they would increase the price until the amount they can supply will also equal the amount demanded.

which is also the point of maximum profits.
                              No. People will not buy an unlimited amount of candy bars at any price.

Comment

Imagine that, people providing pressure on others to share their wealth! and forced redistribution! We should do that!

Oh, wait.
                                Yeah, because we all know how poorly the American people perceives wealth and free market... how strongly they believe in communal property... how socially excluded are tax-evading billionaires....
                                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Working...
                                X