Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One driver per vehicle
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
      One driver per vehicle
      What do you do if you live 60 miles from your jobsite and don't have mass transit to get there?
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Walk
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Move
          Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
            Simply put European cities were built when there were no cars, so cars are an unplanned addition.

American cities were designed for fars, so things naturally spaced themselves because they could.

Now it is possible for me to walk across Norfolk (a medium sized city) but not for practical buisness.

You must be talking about a different East Coast.
            I have lived there. Walking accross Norfolk isn't the safest thing in the world.

Norfolk is actually fairly small. A bike would work well there. But if you lived in Virginia Beach. Or where I lived- Hampton and in Newport News- a bicycle is out of the question. I don't even think you can take a bicycle in the tunnel. Not that I would want to. Those fumes will seriously **** you up. I have lived in Hampton fairly close to the tunnel, but even that is like 8 miles to the navy base I think. And I have lived near the Oyster Point area in Newport News. That was like a 20 mile drive to work everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
              Move
              Brilliant. And if you work construction and have sites move around on you?
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

the simple fact is we are stuck. Our cities are designed for automobiles. If they weren't, we could make roads narrower, and cities would be much smaller making bicycles practical. To illustrate this point, I urge you to come to Las Vegas. We have very wide roads, and very small lots for houses (we live in a densely populated city) You could probably fit 3 houses in the width of one of our arterial roads. Think of how much space you could save if the roads were half as big (enough to allow service vehicles such as amublance, garbage trucks etc, and bicycles).

Comment

Cars

No car days

Hell, I take the mass transit into work, but I have to drive 5 miles to get there. And I'd rather get the extra sleep. And Atlanta weather without air conditioning? You must be joking!
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

No. The simple fact is we live in a sparsely populated area where mobility should be a right, not a priviledge.

This is not Western Europe, where population density is bursting the seams. This is where it is common to have to drive a hundred miles to go to work, there are no trains for commuting, and the auto is our iron horse.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

my city actually has a pretty high density. Right up there with Chicago. Pretty impressive for a city with less than 2 million people.

In fact. I have been thinking about getting a bike and riding it to work. I have to go through some so-so neighborhoods, but I think I'll be alright. But I won't ride on the street. I'll ride on the sidewalk. cops really don't mess with you if you ride on the sidewalk where I live. Although it depends on where you are. They certainly will harrass you if you ride on the sidewalk on the strip!

Riding on the road is a deathtrap. Because everybody drinks and drives where I live. we have the most pedestrian deaths of any city. Though part of the blame resides with pedestrians- because everyone jaywalks in my city.

But for me it is only 6 miles to work. I don't live in a great neighborhood- hence why it is so close to work. The good neighborhoods are much further from the center of the city.

My brother rides his bike to work. I think it's about the same distance. This is the reason why I've been thinking about it. He's doing it to get in better shape. I don't really care what shape I'm in, I just want more challenge in my life. My life is boring.

the main reason I don't ride a bike is time. I figure it will take me an hour to ride a bike 6 miles to work. This is because my city has many traffic lights. You can't run most of those safely. These really slow you up. It takes 20 to 25 minutes by vehicle to travel 6 miles. A bicycle may even take longer than 1 hour, I'd have to try it out.

Comment

Dude, you live in VEGAS! It kinda gets hot there. Riding bikes all the time is silly. And without cars your city would die a slow horrible death. A great number of people drive into Vegas in their cars from neighboring states.

And nye is right. North America is a sparsely populated area. You should know it. Outside of Vegas there is litterly nothing for miles.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

of course I would use my vehicle for riding out of the city! You'd die riding out in the desert on a bicycle (without support vehicles etc.- competition riders do it all the time actually)

of course I could also take a bus to work. But I really wouln't be saving any money by doing that, unless I got rid of my vehicle. My route closely follows desert inn road, so I wouldn't have to do any transers. But there are 2 streches of 1 mile each the bus doesn't cover. I'd have to walk or take the bike on the bus (the buses have racks on the front of them for bikes)

Comment

Bingo... so you end up proving our point about needing a car in North America .

Comment

Then do it. No one is saying you MUST drive.

Just saying that all should ride bikes is silly.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                                Bingo... so you end up proving our point about needing a car in North America .
                                but that doesn't squelch my idea of cities being car free. You could force cities to be car free by- well brute force of course.. The cars could be parked outside the city for when the citizens want to travel to other cities. But car travel in the city would be restricted.

Comment

Working...
                                X