X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full story...

Bush clear leader in poll
    By Susan Page, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — President Bush has surged to a 13-point lead over Sen. John Kerry among likely voters, a new Gallup Poll shows. The 55%-42% match-up is the first statistically significant edge either candidate has held this year.Among registered voters, Bush is ahead 52%-44%.

The boost Bush received from the Republican convention has increased rather than dissipated, reshaping a race that for months has been nearly tied. Kerry is facing warnings from Democrats that his campaign is seriously off-track.

With 46 days until the election, analysts say the proposed presidential debates offer Kerry his best chance to change the race.

"It doesn't look like the new consultants and strategies of attacks are the right ones" for Kerry, says Matthew Dowd, chief strategist for the Bush campaign. Kerry in recent weeks added veterans of the Clinton White House to his team and began criticizing Bush more sharply on Iraq and other issues.

Dowd says Kerry at this point would "have to defy history" to defeat a sitting president.

"We have seen some bouncing around in the numbers," says Mike McCurry, a top Kerry adviser, "but it is our sense that the race is moving back to a much closer race."

A Pew Research Center poll released Thursday shows a tighter contest. The survey, taken Saturday through Tuesday, gives Bush a statistically insignificant lead of 47%-46% among likely voters.

The Gallup Poll was taken Monday through Wednesday.

Presidential candidates have won after trailing by similar margins. One was George W. Bush himself. In 2000, he was behind Al Gore by 10 points among registered voters in early October and then prevailed in the Electoral College, though he lost the popular vote.

In 1980, Ronald Reagan was down 8 points in the Gallup Poll in late October but won in a landslide after doing well in the only debate held with President Carter.

"Sen. Kerry is like Seabiscuit: He runs better from behind," says Donna Brazile, who was Gore's campaign manager. But she acknowledges that "backbenchers" in the Democratic Party "have begun pushing the panic button."

KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• (CNN) -- Two new national polls are giving widely divergent views as to whether President Bush's post-convention bounce has solidified or evaporated.

A Gallup Poll released Friday showed the president widening his lead over Kerry among likely voters to 13 percentage points, with 55 percent for Bush and 42 percent for Kerry.

The poll had a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points. (Special report: America Votes 2004, poll tracker)

The race narrowed to 8 points among registered voters, with 52 percent choosing Bush and 44 percent picking Kerry.

The level of support for the president was the highest he has seen in the Gallup Poll since January, when he was enjoying a bump from the capture of Saddam Hussein.

Bush's job approval rating also rose to its highest level since April, with 52 percent saying they approved of his performance and 45 percent saying they did not.

However, a poll by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press, released Thursday, showed the race between Bush and Kerry now a dead heat.

Among registered voters, the two candidates were tied at 46 percent in the Pew poll; among likely voters, Bush led by a statistically insignificant margin of 47 percent to 46 percent.

The margin of error was plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

The Pew Center conducted two waves of polling over a seven-day period between September 8 and Tuesday.

In the first wave, Bush had a double-digit lead, but by the final wave of polling, the race had become a dead heat, indicating that the president's momentum had eroded.

The Gallup Poll, which showed no erosion of momentum, was conducted at roughly the same time as the second wave of polling done by the Pew Center.
      "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

• One obvious possible way to half-reconcile the divergent polls, suggested by Rassmussen's robo-survey: Wednesday 9/15, when the probable Danron forgery began to sink in, was a gruesome day for Kerry. The Harris poll (Kerry up 1) stopped Monday. The Pew poll (Kerry down 1) stopped on Tuesday. Gallup (Kerry down 14) includes Kerry's bleak Wednesday.

KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Both CNN and USA Today are pushing the Gallup poll because it is their poll.

These polls are of supposedly likely voters. It's even with registered voters.

If, as many suspect, there is a spike in voting this election the polls will be pretty much useless.

On the other hand, I have a strong suspicion that voting will actually be down this year.

Another nail in the coffin of democracy - it's AK 47 time.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

• These polls are of supposedly likely voters. It's even with registered voters.

Bush is up by 8 amongst registered voters in the Gallup poll.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• The reason for the difference in the polls is because of definitions of likely voters. Each polling agency uses different definitions.

Personally, I think the turnout's gonna be higher than any time in living memory.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Personally, I think the turnout's gonna be higher than any time in living memory.

I disagree. These are the worst two candidates in a long time, so expect a healthy amount of voter apathy.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• That may be, but people will remember that in Florida, if c600 had turned out for Gore, Gore would be president, so I think that will influence voters.
                  "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

• Personally, I think the turnout's gonna be higher than any time in living memory.
                    Really? I thought that about the latest Canadian election which promised to be the most hotly contested in years. But turnout was terrible, even lower than last time IIRC.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

• That may be, but people will remember that in Florida, if c600 had turned out for Gore, Gore would be president, so I think that will influence voters.
                      Given that both men are just slightly different faces of the same corporate government, I don't think a lot of people care.

I suppose the gays, Christians and blacks will vote.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

• I hate to break it to you guys, but republicans are always the stronger voters. They get out far more then democrats. With the way Kerry's campaign has totally collapsed, it will be an easy victory for Bush. I'm just stating the obvious.

And agathon what do you know about democracy? You support a man who rigged an election.

Oh and a CBS (That's right a CBS) poll!

For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• And agathon what do you know about democracy? You support a man who rigged an election.
                          Yes.. one of those wonderful elections that had international scrutineers who certified the results as fair.

But I guess they were just part of the conspiracy.

And I must say I find it funny that you are supporting a party with an obviously anti-gay agenda.

The day I start supporting Republican faith based social services is the day you get forced by law to attend a Christian re-education camp for "sodomites".
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon

Yes.. one of those wonderful elections that had international scrutineers who certified the results as fair.

But I guess they were just part of the conspiracy.

And I must say I find it funny that you are supporting a party with an obviously anti-gay agenda.

The day I start supporting Republican faith based social services is the day you get forced by law to attend a Christian re-education camp for "sodomites".
                            Did they look at every single ballot? No. Chavez should of lost the election because he DOESN'T HAVE THE SUPPORT OF THE PEOPLE. And Venezuela's government is anti-gay. You are anti-gay. Commies are anti-gay.
                            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• Did they look at every single ballot? No.
                              Did they have to when it became obvious that Chavez had a mathematically insurmountable lead?

Chavez should of lost the election because he DOESN'T HAVE THE SUPPORT OF THE PEOPLE.
                              They only needed the support of most of the voters, and they got that.

And Venezuela's government is anti-gay. You are anti-gay. Commies are anti-gay.
                              I didn't know that Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson were voting Democrat this year...
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon

Did they have to when it became obvious that Chavez had a mathematically insurmountable lead?
                                Especially when he used extortion and other tactics to force people to vote for him.. and casted fake ballots.

They only needed the support of most of the voters, and they got that.
                                Chavez doesn't have the support of the voters, that's why he had to rig the election.

I didn't know that Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson were voting Democrat this year...
                                There are plenty of homophobic democrats and commies, as yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X