This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attackers seize Russian school

A girl is hurried away from the scene by armed Russian officers.

RELATED
    • Moscow suicide bomber kills 9
    • Explosions led to Russia crashes

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
    Chechnya (Russia)

Russia

or Create your own

Manage alerts | What is this?

MOSCOW, Russia (CNN) -- Armed attackers have seized a school in a town in southern Russia, and Russia's ITAR-TASS news agency says about 400 people, including 200 children, are being held.

The Interfax news agency, citing Ismel Shaov, a regional spokesman for the Federal Security Service, said there were 17 attackers, both male and female, and the gang included some who were wearing explosive belts.

Wednesday's seizure took place on the first day of the Russian school year, in the town of Beslan in North Ossetia, Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) said.

Video of the scene from Russian Television showed Russian forces stationed near the school, some of them behind a tank, as the sound of gunfire could be heard. A young girl and an older woman were hurried to safety by the armed forces.

Beslan is located 19 miles (30 km) north of Vladikavkaz in southern Russia, which borders the troubled Russian republic of Chechnya.

The seizure of the school comes a day after a female suicide bomber killed nine people and herself, and wounded 51 others when she detonated a bomb outside a subway station in northeastern Moscow. (Full story)

Authorities did not immediately say if the female bomber was Chechen.

The bombing marked the second major terrorist attack on Russia in a week, following the near simultaneous attacks on two Russian airliners by what authorities believe were two Chechen women suicide bombers. Eighty-nine people died in the crashes.

Female Chechen suicide bombers are known in Russia as "black widows."

Authorities have said traces of the explosive hexogen were found in the wreckage of both planes. Hexogen, when mixed with nitroglycerin, forms a plastic explosive similar to C4 and has been used by Chechen rebels in attacks on Russian soil in the past.

Chechen rebels -- who refused to take part in Chechen elections held Sunday and vowed to take their fight to Russian soil -- have denied responsibility.

But many Russian politicians are already linking them to Tuesday's suicide bombing, calling it revenge for the elections in which a Kremlin-backed candidate won the presidency.

Russian troops have battled separatist guerrillas in Chechnya since 1994.

In October 2002, about 50 Chechen rebels seized a Moscow theater and took about 800 hostages.

After a three-day siege, Russian forces stormed the building using gas, killing most of the rebels and 120 hostages.

This is not good.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

The picture of the girl is heartbreaking. B*stards.
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

you'd think they'd never kill children, but then it has happened in Germany before, without any religious-separatist background, just sheer madness - this must be worse...

Comment

The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

How few Chechens there are, and how big problems they can cause for Russia.

Comment

I believe a reasonable part of children they caught in that school are Chechens too.

Comment

Yep, there they go again (it seems).

I'm sad to say it, but Josef Vissarionovitch Dzjugasvilji was the only one that could 'handle' the caucasus...

Comment

This was the first day of school and it was supposed to be a day of celebration for the kids and their families.

Comment

Originally posted by Kropotkin
                  Yep, there they go again (it seems).

I'm sad to say it, but Josef Vissarionovitch Dzjugasvilji was the only one that could 'handle' the caucasus...
                  It's because he was from Caucasus himself.

Comment

Yes, I know, from Gori.

Comment

*******s. Well, I am not surprised by Islamist fanatics.

"But the Russian army are terrorists, too!"
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                          "But the Russian army are terrorists, too!"
                          wtf?

Comment

wtf?

precisely.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment