This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ned
    Huh? The French government was the legitimate government.
    France surrendered Indochina to the Japanese. The Vietnamese threw the Japanese out. They had won independence. Your refusal to acknowledge this basic reality shows how much of a partisan hack you are.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• How can any colonial government be legitimate, when its based on foreign-imposed rule upon a native population??
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Vietnam was a kingdom before it was invaded by France in the 19th Century.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• So if a country is "merely" a kingdom when another country imposes foreign rule, then that foreign-imposed government can be legitimate for that reason?
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Let's get back to Kerry's fitness to lead, shall we? Does being a war criminal make a good leader? Should we worry, if Kerry is elected, that he will be dragged off to the Hague to answer for his war crimes? These are all legitimate question...

Comment

• Originally posted by Lincoln
              Should we worry, if Kerry is elected, that he will be dragged off to the Hague to answer for his war crimes? These are all legitimate question...

Oh come on... I can't even give this a legitimate troll score it's so low...

Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• But it is funny.
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Yeaj, you americans can't elect Kerry, as he used his own lighter to burn down a few huts. There's however no need to have that kind of concern over Bush, a person that started a war of aggression, just go ahead and elect him!

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

I'm not lying. There was a deal on the table in '68. Then the South Vietnamese sabotaged it thinking they'd get a better deal under Nixon (cuz they were told that by the Nixon campaign). Traitors
                    No deal was on the table. The negotiations in '68 only progressed around one topic, who was going to sit at the table. In January '69, that impass was broken with the agreement to a round table.
                    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• B, I won't respond to your post in detail. Just let me say that you substitute blind hatred of colonialism for reason.

After WWII, the only government in SV was the French government. They were in a fight with Uncle Ho. Soon, the French set up goverments of Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. But rather engage in a democratic process within these governments, Uncle Ho continued to fight to get the French out and impose his own, communist, governments throughout the region.

Sound familiar, doesn't it?

I am thinking now of al-Sadr.
                      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun
                        How can any colonial government be legitimate, when its based on foreign-imposed rule upon a native population??
                        And, I suppose if the governments are communist governments imposed from the USSR or China, they are legitimate?

Comment

B, I won't respond to your post in detail. Just let me say that you substitute blind hatred of colonialism for reason.

After WWII, the only government in SV was the French government. They were in a fight with Uncle Ho. Soon, the French set up goverments of Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. But rather engage in a democratic process within these governments, Uncle Ho continued to fight to get the French out and impose his own, communist, governments throughout the region.

Sound familiar, doesn't it?
                          After WWII, there was no SV at all, The partition didn't happen until after Bac Ho whipped the Froggies at Dien Bien Phu, and the Froggies said, **** it, why do we even care about this dump? (Something we should have said in '64.)

The French colonial government didn't appear until the American and British occupation authorities decided to return Vietnam to the French, and then decided to release and rearm Japanese POWs (hated by the Vietnamese people) to provide the initial muscle on the ground for the resumption of French colonial rule.

There was no "democratic process" to be had with the French, any more than there was a "democratic process" to be had with King George III.

I am thinking now of al-Sadr.
                          Al-Sadr doesn't amount to a pimple on Ho's ass.
                          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

And, I suppose if the governments are communist governments imposed from the USSR or China, they are legitimate?
                            Bac Ho's communism was home grown. Convenient to the USSR and China, but imposed by neither.

And like it or not, it had far more support of the Vietnamese peasants that made up the mass of the population than did the French, their lackey Bao Dai, or any of the collection of "elected" SVN generals and thugs.
                            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

France surrendered Indochina to the Japanese. The Vietnamese threw the Japanese out. They had won independence. Your refusal to acknowledge this basic reality shows how much of a partisan hack you are.
                              Now you are saying that Uncle Ho conquered the Japanese in IndoChina and that the Japanese surrendered there to the communists?

You revise history at will, don't you?

Comment

• Excuse me, MtG, I meant "IndoChina." The Chinese and Brits had operational control until the French could re-establish themselves. But the point was, the only recognised legal government in IndoChina immediately after the war was the French gov't. Ho Chi Mingh, just one of many anti-Japanese resistance fighters, had no control over the whole area.

Comment

Working...
                                X