Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rallying Point: Liberty Island - Refugees from Kidatopia, report!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Escape, Day Two – Part Two

From the diaries of Presidential Nominee Velociryx

It was a mournful affair, bearing witness to the first death of Liberty Island, and early that evening, we buried Sully in a small patch of ground not far behind the QuarterMaster’s hut.

Flubber presided over the affair, offering words of comfort to Sully’s friends and family as we lowered him into the ground.

I helped dig the grave, but by that point in the afternoon, was so physically and emotionally drained that I could not do it alone.

Still, it’s one more thing I’m sure those who watch us will raise a curious eyebrow over.

After a somber dinner though I made a short speech about the need to move on.

Put the tragic death behind us and get on with the business of making Liberty thrive.

The speech, for all its good intentions, was not particularly well-received, and I got more glowering looks than anything.

Despite the tragedy, I meant to proceed with our planned election, but voter turnout was all but nonexistent.

It seemed that the death had impacted everyone more deeply than expected, and the people were making their will known.

So be it, but I was not about to undermine the democratic ideals of the island by simply seizing power, and so we were left with a crisis. Specifically, a three-way tie with what few votes did get placed in the ballot box beside the QuarterMaster’s hut.

So we waited.

All night.

Liberty’s future on hold and unable to proceed further without guidance from the people themselves.

Yes, it would have been possible simply to take control.

There was a vacuum.

That vacuum would be filled, and the longer it went unfilled, the more likely it was that someone would simply attempt to seize power and make Liberty into something far different than any had envisioned.

I vowed though, that the someone would not be me.

Thus, until such time as the crisis is passed, and Liberty has a functioning government, I am retiring from my post as Provisional Organizer, and halting all additional construction using assets I brought to the Island with me.

There are sufficient Geodesics up that we’ve got a bit more room, but I do not feel comfortable enough proceeding with further efforts until the crisis has been resolved.

So I shall retire, and watch….and wait.

-=Vel=-
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

• Oh and Vel

I was wondering if we have disenfranchised our female citizens by having votes here at 'poly.

Oh and can little flub vote?? When he was in my arms he pointed at the ballot box and repeatedly said " 'nana , 'nana, 'nana" which I interepreted as our fledgling nation's first attempt at a "banana" option
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Oh and vel

we could just adopt a constitution that had a 3 person ruling committee fulfilling presidential roles. Althoigh with our small population , we may have to have our entire population as reps and senators.
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Yes on both counts! LOL....prolly right about the female voters not making their way here with any great regularity, and I can't BELIEVE we forgot the Banana option! d'oh! Thanks to Mini-Flub for setting us straight there!

-=Vel=-
          The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

• That plan would seem to work well, 'cept that we'll need a head judiciary, and you're the natural for that one....

One possible resolution then, of the three people who got votes, we could come to some agreement regarding posts....a Pres, a VP, and a Chief Justice out of the elected officials?

-=Vel=-

Comment

• OK kids, come inside now. It's getting dark.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Never!

-=Vel=-

Comment

• Vel for president

Comment

• Well, I've been just too disturbed after watching Sully die (i.e. too busy trying to exploit real world capitalism ) to get it together and vote, but my vote goes to Vel.
                    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

• Then the open-late polls have officially closed, and the deadlock has been broken.

Liberty has her government.

First round of political appointment will be named here, with others named as they are required or deemed necessary.

If the appointees cannot serve in the capacities listed, please post to that effect.

If any citizen of Liberty has a dispute with an appointee to a given post, please post to that effect (citizens, in our microcosm, are essentially "Congress" and if an objection is raised, then the appointee will be voted on...no vote needed if no dispute is raised).

First two appointees:

Chief Justice: Flubber (charged with appointing a constabulary as needed)

Vice President: LoA (who also recieved a vote) - to serve in the capacity of President should the President be unable to perform his duties.

More to come.

-=Vel=-

Comment

• aight, letes get this show on the road.
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• 3000 Wats from a spiffy windmill! ME LIKEY! Man, that definitely goes on the wishlist...220v, to boot! Q, if we get it, I think we found the power supply for the Liberty Island Library!

i'll have to make the point that the library will be availible to all, and that there will be no imposition as to what will and will not be kept in the library by any power whatsoever.
                          i think it might be nice if ludd and i got together over a checkout system; the more information that can be gathered and cross-indexed, i think would be better for efficiency: single-signon and one-click checkout could eventually be implemented. i am mindful of the risks to liberty, so i propose that this sytem be completely blind to the end user, but as soon as something can be banged up, it source code should be availible for peer review. the database, however, will be encrypted.

these things are all long-term hopes for the distant future: one of the biggest investments will be the creation of a separate island-only network and then high-speed connections to the internet at large. there will only be a few connections between LibNet and the iNet, and those will be locked down with the tightest security possible to defend against external remote access. that said, local access will be completely unfettered, however, it will be, by and large, read-only.
                          such things as kidanomics, alas, will be availible for consumption in the library; however, if our education system works right, those who encounter it will know of the inherent flaws in such a theoretical system.

when our economy starts taking off, i'd like to try and find a means of getting actual hard copies of texts.

===

Hydrothermal? (not sure how to harness)

we'd have to hope for geysers or some such.

===

What's remarkable is that you all are so sure you will be happy on your little island, because you are all confident that you will make it to the top of the food chain. The thing is that only a small portion of you will make it to the top. The rest of you will wallow on the bottom and beg us to free you from your exploitation.

That's how capitalism works. There is no room at the top for everyone.

i favor open borders, so those who wish to leave the island will be free to go, and those who wish to come should be allowed to.
                          B♭3

Comment

• We should, being on an island, have at least some shoreline suitable for harnessing wave power, as well.
                            Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

• Executive Order #1:
                              In the matter of the Liberty Island Library, the government, agrees in principle with Congressman Q, and vows a totally "hands off" approach with respect to any attempt to control either content of or access to the library, as it applies to any citizen of Liberty, or Corporate entity they may choose to establish.

Conversely, we reserve the right to restrict and control information access as it relates to any person or entity NOT from liberty island, with respect to our data. (as this is not an issue at this time, no formal policy needs to be drafted regarding such access).

Executive Order #2:
                              Delays making any sort of laws placing limits of any kind on the number of Kidatopia immigrants we are willing to recieve for a period of two years. It also implicitly makes the pledge that no constraints will be placed on the citizens of Liberty with regards to freedom of mobility. Any citizen is free to depart the island at any time, by whatever means they can arrange.

Executive Order #3:
                              Establishes that at a time specified by the government, to be no less than six months from the issue of the order, and by a methodology to-be-determined, plots of land will be either given or auctioned off to any who desire it. Accepting or bidding on land in this manner is subject to the specific terms of the agreement (to be fleshed out later), to include at a minimum, a promise to live on and develop the land for a period of not less than five years.

More later...

-=Vel=-

Comment

• this businessman wants to buy some land from the govt. where should i inquire?
                                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Working...
                                X