No announcement yet.

Is ambition a virtue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd consider will to power as a part of ambition.
    Other than that, agreed.

It's late here. Goodnight
    "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

the initial ambition is mere survival though. Once that is achieved, new desires are formed to be achieved and so on.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
        single-celled organisms eat and excrete wastes. why would they do such things if they didnt possess the instinctual intention to survive?
        Because its a natural consequence of physical laws acting on subatomic particles - it's an emergent behavior of those particles. However, unless you're willing to say that a planet has the intention to orbit a star, then intention must be limited to sentient beings.

Comment

Because its a natural consequence of physical laws acting on subatomic particles - it's an emergent behavior of those particles. However, unless you're willing to say that a planet has the intention to orbit a star, then intention must be limited to sentient beings.
          homeostasis is a bit more than physical laws acting on subatomic particles... planets (though that whole Gaia hypothesis would differ) do not possess a state of homeostasis per se so your comparison isnt valid.
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

homeostasis is a bit more than physical laws acting on subatomic particles...

No it isn't.

Comment

ah... all organisms possess the instinct to sustain an equilibrium. As the equilibrium, so to speak, of mere survival is achieved, changes only occur as responses to feedback. Positive feedback allows (not using the right terminology I'm sure) for changes that may alter the previous equilibrium or cause divergences from it.

sentience is only a higher level of homeostasis, possessing an equilibrium, the result of divergences brought on by responding to positive feedback, beyond mere survival... the new equilibrium is the fulfillment of 'desires' which are but the sentient equivalent to the physical needs of primitive homeostasis seen in non-sentient life.

Comment

I don't actually think it is a virtue, but then do we define virtue? We can be utilitarian and judge it by conseqeunce, or I can merely give my own view. I'll do both .

The former is difficult to judge. Ambition leads to new technology, achievements, exploration etc, but it also leads to wars and people seeking to impose themselves on others. Some might say it could lead to the eventual and woefully ironic destruction of the human race. The jury's out.

I see it as not good for me because I would rather live in the moment (non permanence, Platonic idealism) than ruin it with anticipation. But whatever floats your boat...
                "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Too tired to be arsed to read the all the posts, but no, ambition isn't a virtue for a couple of reasons.

1. virtues are wholly good in and of themselves, ambition is not.

2. virtues work in accordance with making you a better person or performing virtuous acts. Having a better job or a bigger house neither makes you a virtuous person, or could be considered as virtuous acts.

ambition just doesn't lend itself to virtue.
                  "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Having a better job or a bigger house neither makes you a virtuous person, or could be considered as virtuous acts.
                    why cant you just say that which is virtuous (ie- moral) is that which is of the most utility. Having a better job is of greater utility than having a worse job so therefore, having a better job is more virtuous than having a worse job.

i still think ambition is just another term for the will to power, the instrinct self-interest of all life.

Comment

utility is the greatest happiness for the greatest number of people...one person having a big house doesn't qualify
                      "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

utility is the greatest happiness for the greatest number of people involved... in this case, one. no smilie

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer

and what organism on the planet does not have ambition?
                          Panda Bears. These things are too lazy to even **** and reproduce.

Comment

Depends. A healthy amount of ambition is a good thing. Unchecked ambition that makes you do things that are morally wrong in your quest for success is not.

urgh.NSFW

Comment

Ambition is neither a vice nor a virtue. It can lead to either.

Another way of looking at it - ambition is the thirst for change.

There's change for the worse, and change for the better.
                              Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                              "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Ambition is not an instinct like self-preservation. Ambition is rooted from discontent. There are people who are more ambitious and there are people who are more laid back. Also ambition doesn't necessarily mean unhappiness. Some people draw happiness through ambitiously persuing a new goal. It's not universal. It's a trait that different people possess different amount.

Morality concerns whether it is good toward the others, not the self. In this sense, ambition is neither a virtue or a vice. Some people's ambition may lead to improvement of the others, but the opposite is equally likely to happen.
                                Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Working...
                                X