No announcement yet.

Woman fired for eating BLT at work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But they didn't want her to eat the pork in their workplace because they believe it to be unclean. So it harmed them. They own the company, therefore the employee should shut the f*** up and follow company policy on the prohibition of eating pork .

You might as well abolish every ( workers) right then..anyone can come with something against anything.
    I understand the justification from the Ami side. Not from the Euro side...

For me this is a case of someone abusing his power (money) to push his agenda/beliefs.

BTW: of course she was stupid for doing this and seeking the confrontation.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

So my final suggestion, very American (or at least it was at one time) DONT rely on govt law to protect the employee - rely on COLLECTIVE BARGAINING - in other words, dont SUE, lady, JOIN A UNION - ORGANIZE.

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

If everybody else in the place is a devout Muslim then she's going to have a hard time unionising them over this.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by alva
          You might as well abolish every ( workers) right then..anyone can come with something against anything.
          That's a bollocks slippery slope argument. I'd hardly count my so-called "right" to eat pork products as high among the fundamentals that I hold dear to my heart.
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
            Verbal contracts aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Besides his rules are religiously based and thus against Federal law.
            What verbal contract? When she signed on to join the company, she signed on to abide by their rules.

Christians have gotten the pants sued off of them for much less so this is going to be an open and shut case.
            Care to cite one case where a private Christian organization has been successfully sued for not allowing an employ to do something that was not part of the employee's religious practice?
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

I don't believe that employers should have the right to fire at will
              Employees have the right to quit at will.
              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

If everybody else in the place is a devout Muslim then she's going to have a hard time unionising them over this.

Probably, but that's not the only reason to unionize.
                "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                  Care to cite one case where a private Christian organization has been successfully sued for not allowing an employ to do something that was not part of the employee's religious practice?
                  The Boy Scouts! Oh, waitaminute...
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                    For me this is a case of someone abusing his power (money) to push his agenda/beliefs.
                    How is this different from the government using their power to ban headscarves in schools in France?

(BTW you might have been against that too; it's just that on that case, in general, the roles were reversed in the argument).
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      Eating pork harms no-one, therefore the compagny should shut the f*** up and let her do her job.

But they didn't want her to eat the pork in their workplace because they believe it to be unclean. So it harmed them. They own the company, therefore the employee should shut the f*** up and follow company policy on the prohibition of eating pork .
                      If she forced them to eat it, she would harm them. What was it that harmed them? The sight of it? The smell? If they are offended by it, they may build a separate lunch room for pork-eaters with double door and a separate ventilation system. Perhaps there should be a guard checking the people entering the building if there is no pork left between their teeth since their last meals. Burping, vomitting, gasing, kissing should be considered a religious offence.
                      Does the harmful effect of the pig stayes also after its parts are dissolved in stomach acid? If so, any pork-eater shouldn't be allowed to enter the building... or any Muslim quater... or any Muslim state... or any place on Earth inhabited by the pious ones. You never know who's ever eaten pork, perhaps even unintentionally. Meeting with people could be dangerous. No-one knows after how long time the pork spell wears out too. Perhaps never.
                      I see only one sollution: killing every pig in the world, so that no-one could eat it anymore, and then killing every living person in the world, in case they've commited the disgusting crime of eating a pork.
                      "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                      I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                      Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

Probably, but that's not the only reason to unionize.
                        Yup. I dont think the lady will really do that - I mainly wanted to take this opportunity, when my conservative friends are bemoaning an injustice to an employee, to let them rethink what unions are about.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Employees have the right to quit at will.
                          As well they should

I don't see it as an equal relationship though

C'mon MtG, I think that the State should own the means of production...do you really think that my view of the employee/employer relationship will be as simple as the libertarian ideal of contract?
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Btw, I find eating Bisexuals, Lesbians, and Transsexuals despicable, and not only at work.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                              The reason she will win is because there is no other purpose for the pork ban then to force other people to abide by one groups religious rules.
                              The other purpose is that pork creates an unpleasant environment for them, being Muslims, and they have a right to prohibit anything in their office that makes it unpleasant for the employees so long as it is not a fundamental part of someone's religious worship. That's why companies could prohibit smoking if they so desired before there were laws prohibiting it in the work place, or even evidence SHS was dangerous. Or why my company can ban flowers.

They aren't forcing their religion on her--they're forcing their standards of cleanliness on her. It's the same concept as allowing companies to set standards of dress.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

What is a standart of cleanliness?
                                Non-christians bear the dirt of the primary sin.
                                "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                                I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                                Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                                X