Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To be fair, you don't know what molly's experiences are. I doubt he has spent his entire life behind books. Can you cite an incident where he spoke from a lack of experience?
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Says you, but that's just because you're mad that I've out-argued you. Even conservatives here (take PLATO, for example) seem to think I'm one of the more reasonable debaters here. Come on, give an example of an extreme, unreasoned liberal argument I've made, please. Go ahead.
      You are one of the more reasonable debaters here. I just think that you've become less reasonable than you were a few years ago. At one point, But as I said, I blame George W. Bush, not you.

Actions speak louder than words. BUt words speak, too:

Now, I'm perfectly willing to admit that I am extremely biased against Kerry,...

Small example.
      That isn't due to what you percieve as my right-wing indoctrination. I believe that Kerry, more likely than not, will be a better president than Bush. I simply don't like him.

That you consider yourself centrist is the real lack of perspective. Remember that by the standards of the Western world, U.S. Democrats are centrist. They'd be the conservative party in any European country. Sorry, my perspective is confined to the immediate county.
      Ah, but most of the Middle East is far, far, far more socially conservative. Why not include them?

Or we could admit that this part of our argument is kind of stupid, and drop it.
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        Ageism!

molly, didn't I mention somewhere before that you somehow take everything just a tad too personally?

And really, what does scuba diving and whale watching have to do with it?
        Since you're discussing MY experience and MY expertise, exactly how objective should I be?

How do you get firsthand experience of 17th Century Venice?

Or the early Puritan settlements in North America?

Compare like with like.

I have first hand experience of heritage buildings, Anglo-Saxon archaeology, and a 'whole bunch of other stuff' that you know nothing about.

As I said before you aren't in a position to judge what my experience or expertise is, because you know nothing about it.

In any case it isn't ageism- I've met plenty of people your age who know when to speak on something and when not..
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Again, molly has an excellent knowledge of history. Probably superior to anyone on the forum. But the OT is a forum where we debate current events...
          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom
            In any case it isn't ageism- I've met plenty of people your age who know when to speak on something and when not..
            I suppose that might be a fantasy of some, to find teenage boys who know when to keep their mouths shut.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaguar
              You are one of the more reasonable debaters here. I just think that you've become less reasonable than you were a few years ago. At one point, But as I said, I blame George W. Bush, not you.
              And I disagree. For instance, my perspective on corporate america has greatly moderated since 2 years ago, thanks to my working in it and experiencing it first hand. Look at the thread about the woman fired for eating pork.

I don't think my positions have changed all that much on any other significant issue. I don't know of any positions of mine that have changed because of Bush.

Ah, but most of the Middle East is far, far, far more socially conservative. Why not include them?
              Not part of our civilization. I said Western world. The ME has such dramatically different cultural values and institutions that it would be pretty hard to compare. Global warming, corporate tax breaks, abortion and gay rights aren't even on the radar in those countries.

Or we could admit that this part of our argument is kind of stupid, and drop it.
              Well, too late for me now, dammit. I started the response before getting to the end.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov

I suppose that might be a fantasy of some, to find teenage boys who know when to keep their mouths shut.
                Depends on whether they're shooting their mouths off about things they know nothing about, or waiting for something to shoot off.

Either way, I've always preferred men.

'Now, given that we're discussing how an argument in this forum would go, between you two, don't you think the copious amount of text each of you has posted should be enough, slightly, to judge?'

No. You can't assume anything from an author's texts as to what their experiences may have been.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Note I said "we're judging how an argument would go, between you two".

And, you really can assume from an author's text his or her experiences... like I know, solely through this forum, that Ming has a lot of experience as an advertising consultant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaguar
                    Again, molly has an excellent knowledge of history. Probably superior to anyone on the forum. But the OT is a forum where we debate current events...
                    1. We often discuss history here.
                    2. Current events don't exist in a vacuum. The history behind them is crucial to understanding why they're happening.

The failure to make No. 2 obvious to students is one of the biggest problems of our education system. It produces people like...well, like Bush.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• 1. True. But current events are far more often.
                      2. Fair point, but the sort of history you're talking about is fairly modern, and MtG knows that stuff well. 17th century Venetian history doesn't count in this regard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                        Note I said "we're judging how an argument would go, between you two".

And, you really can assume from an author's text his or her experiences... like I know, solely through this forum, that Ming has a lot of experience as an advertising consultant.

If you assume, you're an ass.

'In a story that broke late yesterday, the writer of the recently cancelled "Stormwatch: Team Achilles," Micah Ian Wright, revealed that he never served as a member of the Army Rangers, a claim he's made since he first came on the comics scene in March of 2002.. Apparently Wright had posted a revised bio to his Web site with the revelation on April 25th, reposting that information to his forum Saturday.

Questions about Wright's service have been ongoing for some time. Each time his service was called into question, Wright would refute the claims of those calling into question his service record. '

http://www.smallpresscomics.com/cgi-...?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000466

Not the first literary hoax, nor the last.

'Molly just looks like cut-and-paste.' kw

'and molly's "zen mastery" is nothing compared to having the info actually part of your argument.' kw*

'I don't think molly actually knows anything useful.'

Asher

I think Asher made the point I've been looking for. kw

Now how does Asher know what 'useful' things I know- more to the point how do you?

His comment isn't referring to any argument, it's apparently an observation. Since he couldn't be bothered to define 'useful' it's entirely irrelevant.

*Note you're talking about 'information' here. Not lived experience, but information.

Comment

*examples of hoaxes*
                          Would you really prefer I operate on the default assumption that everyone here is lying?

Comment

'In a story that broke late yesterday, the writer of the recently cancelled "Stormwatch: Team Achilles," Micah Ian Wright, revealed that he never served as a member of the Army Rangers, a claim he's made since he first came on the comics scene in March of 2002.. Apparently Wright had posted a revised bio to his Web site with the revelation on April 25th, reposting that information to his forum Saturday.

Questions about Wright's service have been ongoing for some time. Each time his service was called into question, Wright would refute the claims of those calling into question his service record. '

http://www.smallpresscomics.com/cgi-...?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000466

Not the first literary hoax, nor the last.
                            Well backed-up, yes, but I question the relevance.

Comment

• I don't know about you all, but I plan on being far, far away from this thread when MtG returns and sees that.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• What? molly's post? The threadjack? or what?

Comment

Working...
                                X