Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JohnT's random thoughts about the movies thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JohnT's random thoughts about the movies thread...

A few things...

I saw Undercover Brother last night. This was notable for two reasons:

1. It was a pretty funny movie. I can't get the image of UB's car spinning around into a parking position out of my head, with UB calmly sipping his Big Gulp.

2. I'll go into point 2 later.

I also rented Solaris. To quote Hamlet in The Last Action Hero: "Big mistake." All the thrills of a Merchant/Ivory production combined with the dialogue sparesness of an indie film produced by deaf people on a $25,000 budget; you know you are in trouble when you're halfway in and you're yelling at the TV set "Just end, already!!"

We also took Little Miss to see Scooby Doo 2 today, which she enjoyed. She's also going through a Lion King thing, which apparently she and her mother have watched over 15 times in the past 2 weeks, a process that is causing my lovely wife to lose her manners. Just wait until you have kids - you'll see.

Anyway, there are a few things that I want to poll/ask about in regards to movies and especially movie rentals.

1. When I rented Undercover Brother, I had done something I don't think I have done in 4+ years: I actually rented a VHS. Usually I rent the DVD, and if the movie I want to see isn't available on DVD, then I don't rent it. But Laura wanted to see UB, and since they only had it on tape, tape it was. Question: For you DVD owners, do you ever rent VHS tapes anymore?

2. I selected 5 movies to rent, got to the counter, and saw something that made me return 3 of them: They were full screen movies (meaning that they were formatted to fit the TV set). Preferring to view myself as a pain in the a55 cineaste, I refuse to rent a film that is pan and scan (full screen) preferring to see the whole movie, not some chopped up remake of it. UB was also puke and spew, er, pan and scan, but since the wife wanted to see it I went ahead and got it. Is there anybody else here in 'polyland that feels the same, or does it not bother you to watch films that are butchered?

3. Anybody use Netflix? I'm more than a bit tired of paying $4.50+ to Blockbuster/Hollywood video for each movie and am thinking that Netflix is sounding better and better each time I fork over $10 to watch a mere two films.

I don't have a widescreen, so I don't think full screen does anything bad for me.

Comment

Except for chopping off 1/3rd of the picture. And I don't have a widescreen either, btw.

Comment

My tv is just 32", but I can't stand full screen and would only rent it if I really really wanted to see the movie rightthen.

Comment

I don't like fullscreen either.

I watch in widescreen on my tiny, tiny, TV
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I wish I had a 32"
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Also, what are your top movies of 2004? Rank them if you can...

The Passion of the Christ
              Kill Bill vol. 2
              Shrek 2
              Jersey Girl
              F-911
              Home on the Range
              Because it was Sophie's first theater-going experience.
              Spider-Man 2
              Ella Enchanted
              Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed

Sophie's favorite movies (judged by the amount of time she spent in her chair, watching the screen):

Shrek 2
              Home on the Range
              Ella Enchanted
              Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed

Comment

Weekend at Bernies 2
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Go and spam MrFuns thread, whydontcha????

Comment

Already did

Besides, WAB2 is a masterpiece, the Citizen Kane of its day
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

To add to the list:

Bourne Supremacy.

really enjoyed it.

Also enjoyed Along Came Polly and The Day After Tomorrow, not taking them seriously of course.

need to see a ton of films. The wife is away for the whole month, so we have a lot of catching up to do

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                        Already did

Besides, WAB2 is a masterpiece, the Citizen Kane of its day
                        I've been meaning to get that with a Papa Johns' pizza. maybe tomorrow night

Comment

Along Came Polly seemed to be Something About Mary with Jennifer Anniston.

Speaking of Anniston, a funny line from Undercover Brother had UB undergoing some treatment to make himself act white (to infiltrate a bank). The question they asked him to see if the treatment took was: In Season 3 of "Friends", what doo-dad is on Phoebe's nightstand? (Or some such thing). Pretty funny.

Comment

What is WAB2?
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Weekend at Bernies 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X