Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any positive Muslim role models out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albert Speer
    it should be noted though that Saladin is credited for being the first to issue a jihad...
    He issued a jihad against the christians, that's a fact, but it was in response to their crusades (holy war too). And they started the process.
    And I would be very surprised it was the first. IIRC, Jihad is a word used in the Kuran and is the way Islam spread through north Africa to Spain, through Persia (Iran) to Pakistan and through Byzance to Yougaslavia and Caucassus.
    The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Yep, there was quite some trade between the Mali and the Arabs (gold and slaves especially), and quite a few scholars went there (especially religious ones). However, only a few of these people bothered to describe the Mali way of life and history in written form. Ibn Battuta's writings are among the main sources of information about the Mali of the time, along with a few other written accounts that survived till today, oral tradition, and Portuguese accounts.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Another Arab chronicler was Ibn Fadlan. His accounts of the Rus (Vikings in Russia) are hilarious. Role model? Nah... Maybe if you're a bigot "They are the filthiest of God's creatures. They are like wild asses" etc etc.
        CSPA

Comment

Or how about that one from the 11th century, "The people north of the pyrenees are of fair complexion and of tall stature but are lacking all penetration of wit or intellect". somebody here (was it you evil knevil?) posted that

see how this **** works out? its in cycles. the europeans were filthy, stupid barbarians compared to the brilliant, enlightened, and humane muslims...
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Knevil
            Muhammad was a Muslim. As were Abraham and Issac.
            Modern muslims claim Abraham and Issac were muslims but since they predate the existance of Islam this is doubtful. I believe if you asked Abraham or Issac they would have told you they were Jewish.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Not a one. You couldn't find one.
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

CharlesBHoff
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Park Avenue

Although he's really more of a "negative non-Muslim" model

Muhammed Ali, and then there were certainly plenty of great Muslim thinkers during the European Dark Ages, I just can't think of any. I think they've already been mentioned though.
                  meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Mohammed Ali Jinnah- the first President of Pakistan and one of the greatest statesmen of the 20th century.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan- an incredible Qawwali singer who made Pavarotti sound like an amateur.
                    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Right yeah. Think I'll follow the footsteps of one of them...
                      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Ali G

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Modern muslims claim Abraham and Issac were muslims but since they predate the existance of Islam this is doubtful. I believe if you asked Abraham or Issac they would have told you they were Jewish.
                          Unless you believe the Muslim version of Prophetic history.
                          Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

Mohammed Ali Jinnah- the first President of Pakistan and one of the greatest statesmen of the 20th century.

"I have lived as plain Mr. Jinnah and I hope to die as plain Mr. Jinnah. I am very much averse to any title or honours and I will be more happy if there was no prefix to my name."
                            - Muhammed Ali Jinnah, 1942
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

starting dividing people according to religion is a bad enough start

Comment

founding fathers are way cool. It seems that this was the case for Pakistan, also.
                                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                                X