Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any positive Muslim role models out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

He wrote his most famous works before becoming a muslim. Many years ago, after Cat's conversion, when the Ayatollah Kohmeni issued a fatwah for the assassination of S. Rushdie, a reporter asked him if he would kill Ruhdie if he had a chance. Yusuf, aka Cat, replied that he would. I submit to you then that he's not such a great role model.
    Having read "The Satanic Verses" I would happily strangle Rushdie for writing it... and I'm not Muslim.

Just very angry that anyone would have nerve to call it literature, earn a fortune from it, and expect the state to cover the cost of his protection.
    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

• Originally posted by Cruddy

Having read "The Satanic Verses" I would happily strangle Rushdie for writing it... and I'm not Muslim.

Just very angry that anyone would have nerve to call it literature, earn a fortune from it, and expect the state to cover the cost of his protection.
      I don't understand. I liked it. It was metaphorical and allusive, but still it was interesting to read and had some good ideas.
      Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

• Originally posted by Evil Knevil

I don't understand. I liked it. It was metaphorical and allusive, but still it was interesting to read and had some good ideas.
        I just found it rambling, incoherent tosh.

If it was his debut book it's unlikely he'd ever have made it as a writer.
        Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
        "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

• My Muslim teacher...she teaches English literature very well.

A1 all the way! Yeah!
          Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
          The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
          Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
          We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

• By Muhammad Ali, was it ment the boxer or the ruler of Egypt in XIX century, who did a lot to modernise this land?

Originally posted by Cruddy
            Saladin, contemporary of Richard the Lionheart?

Brits named an APC after him, often blown up by PIRA in Northern Ireland.
            Salah ad-Din was a pretty docent guy indeed

Zheng He was Muslim.

Mu'awiya was the best caliph ever!
            And Umayyads are the best Muslim dinasty ever!

Originally posted by Dry

He issued a jihad against the christians, that's a fact, but it was in response to their crusades (holy war too). And they started the process.
            And I would be very surprised it was the first. IIRC, Jihad is a word used in the Kuran and is the way Islam spread through north Africa to Spain, through Persia (Iran) to Pakistan and through Byzance to Yougaslavia and Caucassus.
            It was hardly any responce to crusades. When Salah started reigning, crusaders were in great Syria for almost a century.
            The reason He started fighting against Franks, one of them, was a very bad guy (a Frenchman!) named Renaud de Chatillon, prince of Behind-the-Jordan (Oultrejordain?), who built a fleet at Red See, plundered Gudda (the port of Mecca), killed pilgrims, plundered Tayma and wanted to plunder Mecca too. The king of Jerusalem owned his crown to Him, so He couldn't do anything to stop Renaud.

Originally posted by Gangerolf
            He was Zoroastrian. His real name was Farrouk (sp?) Bulsara and he was born in Zanzibar.
            Always learning something new. How many Zoroastrians are there left in the world?

Modern muslims claim Abraham and Issac were muslims but since they predate the existance of Islam this is doubtful. I believe if you asked Abraham or Issac they would have told you they were Jewish.
            But islam=true judaism=true christianity

Uh... I always understood Ishmael to be the first Arab, not necessarily the first Muslim...
            I think the post about Izmel ment that according to Muslims, it was Izmael not Isaac that was supposed to be sacrificed.

Originally posted by Oerdin
            Cleopatra was a Pletolomy so she most certainly was at least partially Greek. Given the Greek's additude about the greatness of Greekness and the barbarism of everyone else she was likely pure blood. In fact in their hay day the Pletolomies had brothers marry sisters just so they wouldn't dilute the blood line.
            It seems Cleopatra (the last one, that is, there were sth like 7 of them)'s mother was Egyptian, while the rest of her blood was clearly Greek.

In Poland, I remember marschall of the Parliament Kozakiewicz. He was of Tatar origin and was a Muslim, I don't know how deeply religious. Was very open-minded, wanted to legalise marihuana if I remember correctly.
            \Generally, tatars in Poland are very open-minded.
            General Bem is a national hero of Poland and Hungary, took part in uprisings/revolutions of XIX century, and He was a Muslim late in his life.
            I'm not into Spain history, but it seems the Umayyad rulers of Spain were pretty tolerant and cultural ones.
            And all those Muslim literature guys, like Gahiz...
            Aga-khan?
            I like Kadafi too, but he's unsuitable.
            Oh! Queen of Jordan! She's cute.
            Well, Alladin and Prince Of Persia are great role models
            "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
            I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
            Middle East!

Comment

• Originally posted by Heresson
              By Muhammad Ali, was it ment the boxer or the ruler of Egypt in XIX century, who did a lot to modernise this land?
              The boxer. I was thinking of more current role models.
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
              2004 Presidential Candidate
              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• Originally posted by Evil Knevil
                Many Muslims are not well known for their tolerance or being receptive to change.
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

• Originally posted by Vince278
                  It doesn't. Its okay to be Muslim and Sudanese (aside from those pesky genocide accusations). He did change his name in the credits in later seasons to Alexander Siddig. I don't recall the exact reasons.
                  He said he was tired of Trekkies mispronouncing it at conventions.
                  Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

• A shi'ite muslim friend of mine in America changed his first name from "Ali" to just "Al" a few years ago. Something tells me pronounciation wasn't an issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vince278

Many Muslims are not well known for their tolerance or being receptive to change.
                      Well that's Capricorns all over, isn't it?
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                      X