Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any positive Muslim role models out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloated? Crazed? I'd like to see your evidence, young man.

Like Mu'awia etc were any better?

Yeah, Ishmael. I get my Middle-East names mixed up.
    Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

Bloated? Ali is described as being grotesquely obese in his later years. how does that happen? he partaked too much in the sensual benefits of Persia.

Muawiya was an amazing man... despite his humble beginnings, he was a superb administrator who kept relative order in an empire conquered mere years before that stretched from Morroco to India. He was also the great uniter, bringing non-Arabs (Syrians, Lebanese, Palestinians, Egyptians, etc.) into the military and administration of the caliphate
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Zheng He, Chinese explorer of East Africa and possibly the Americas, was also Muslim...
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
          Zheng He, Chinese explorer of East Africa and possibly the Americas, was also Muslim...
          Was he?! cite!

Nassar was Muslim (vaguely).
          Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

Nassar?

Comment

President of Egypt 1952-1970. Real bastard.
              Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

Freddie Mercury was muslim, I think. I could be wrong though
                "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

May I suggest, as Cruddy, Saladin

From http://www.channel4.com/history/micr...lionheart.html

Unsurprisingly, most medieval crusading authors chose to vilify their Muslim opponents, resorting to crude stereotyping to depict their enemies. The infidel were polytheists, idolaters who gabbled, howled and gnashed their teeth. Knowledge of Islam was rudimentary to say the least; the Koran was not translated into Latin until 1142, and it was not until the 13th century that any real attempts to engage in conversion or genuine religious dialogue took place.

Yet, in spite of this, Saladin was viewed in the most glowing terms. Western writers on the Third Crusade lauded his generosity, his courteous treatment of women, his diplomatic skills and his military prowess. They were also aware of his peaceful conquest of Jerusalem in 1187 and the fact that he had chosen not to emulate the bloodbath of the First Crusade. In these aspects, his behaviour matched the highest standards of chivalry. In fact, Saladin occupied a central place in the most popular medieval 'handbook' of chivalry – such was his fame that he had penetrated the very essence of Western knighthood!

And http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/Saladin.htm
                  Saladin was a great Muslim leader. His real name was Salah al-Din Yusuf. He united and lead the Muslim world and in 1187, he recaptured Jerusalem for the Muslims after defeating the King of Jerusalem at the Battle of Hattin near the Lake of Galilee. When his soldiers entered the city of Jerusalem, they were not allowed to kill civilians, rob people or damage the city.

[...]

Both sides fought at the Battle of Arsur in September 1191. Richard won but he delayed his attack on Jerusalem as he knew that his army needed to rest. He spent the winter of 1191 to 1192 in Jaffa where his army regained its strength. Richard marched on Jerusalem in June 1192.

However, by now even Richard the Lionheart was suffering. He had a fever and appealed to his enemy Saladin to send him fresh water and fresh fruit. Saladin did just this - sending frozen snow to the Crusaders to be used as water and fresh fruit.
                  The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

it should be noted though that Saladin is credited for being the first to issue a jihad...

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Knevil

Was he?! cite!
                      Yup the balless wonder was definately a Muslim.
                      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Dry:

the Koran was not translated into Latin until 1142,
                        It surprises me that the koran was translated into any western language at all before the late 17th century... why would medieval monks translate the koran in 1142?

Comment

Originally posted by Zevico
                          Freddie Mercury was muslim, I think. I could be wrong though
                          He was Zoroastrian. His real name was Farrouk (sp?) Bulsara and he was born in Zanzibar.
                          CSPA

Comment

Muhamed Ali?
                            "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                              Ibn Battuta, explorer who traveled from Morocco to China and back (in the 14th century!)
                              He also is one of the only written accounts we have about the medieval Mali. Only a few Arabic discoverers went there, and they were the first to give written testimonies about the Mali, before the Portuguese.
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

nah, spiffor, more arabs went over there than you think or else the Mali wouldnt have found out about Islam and converted in such numbers...

Comment

Working...
                                X