Rational agent. Self Interest.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rational agent. Self Interest.

We’re sorry. The page you are looking for appears to have moved or does not exist. Check the URL or try using our search function at the top right. Alternatively, you might want to check out these top stories:  
    urgh.NSFW

Huh?

Comment

The anti-altruism crowd is gonna say that to the winner, the satisfaction of helping is greater than that he could have derived from anything he could have bought for his millions.
      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

And ignore that said satisification is derived from something completely selfless.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

The anti-altruism crowd is gonna say that to the winner, the satisfaction of helping is greater than that he could have derived from anything he could have bought for his millions.

Which is untrue.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Edit:

I thought over it, and now I say to the selfish bastard who only wanted to derive satisfaction from helping others
              Blah

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                And ignore that said satisification is derived from something completely selfless.
                It's not selfless. As LC said, he derived happiness from the fact that he was helping others. That's the closest to "selfless" anyone ever comes - getting happiness from others' happiness.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

It's not selfless. As LC said, he derived happiness from the fact that he was helping others.
                  I didn't say that. I said that the anti-altruism crowd was going to say that.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

It's not selfless. As LC said, he derived happiness from the fact that he was helping others. That's the closest to "selfless" anyone ever comes - getting happiness from others' happiness.
                    Yes, that's as close as anyone gets because that's what selflessness is - wanting to see other people happy. Altruism.
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

He chose the happiness of others over his own ( Imagine what he could do with all that money! ) The fact that he enjoyed it, doesn't mean that he didn't sacrifice his own happiness. After all, he recieved less happiness than he could've. ( Living la vida loca with a million bucks >> feeling good after giving a way a million bucks )
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

*shrug* Things like this just goes to show that private charitable donations can be an effective means of helping others in need, and, given the opportunity, people WILL donate money for charitable causes. Without income taxes, donations would likely be higher - the presence of income taxes, Social Security taxes, etc., is the entire reason why I refuse to donate money. I already AM "donating", at gunpoint.
                        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

After all, he recieved less happiness than he could've. ( Living la vida loca with a million bucks >> feeling good after giving a way a million bucks
                          You really think so?

Besides, the self-interest "altruism is impossible" theorists never stated that one's utility function had to exclude other's utility functions..
                          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

You really think so?

I am rather sure.

Besides, the self-interest "altruism is impossible" theorists never stated that one's utility function had to exclude other's utility functions.

I don't fully understand what you try to say...

DF: I never claimed that people won't give unless forced to. However, my pov is their help won't be enough.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Park Avenue

You really think so?

Besides, the self-interest "altruism is impossible" theorists never stated that one's utility function had to exclude other's utility functions..
                              It's simply not included. It's not necessary to state the exclusion. It doesn't even make sense to include atruism in with self-interest.
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                              X