Sperm Donor forced to pay Child Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sperm Donor forced to pay Child Support

I probably wouldn't have posted it, except for the fact that it's in :shock: PENNSYLVANIA :vomit:

HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A state appeals court ruled that a verbal agreement between a woman and her sperm donor was invalid, and ordered the man to pay child support for the woman's twins.

The three-judge panel ruled Thursday that the deal between Joel McKiernan and Ivonne Ferguson -- in which McKiernan donated his sperm and would not be obligated to pay any support -- was unenforceable because of "legal, equitable and moral principles."

Despite an agreement that appeared to be a binding contract, the father is obligated to provide financial support, the court decided.

"It is the interest of the children we hold most dear,"' wrote Senior Judge Patrick Tamalia.

McKiernan's attorney said he may appeal.

The decision could have implications for sperm and egg donors who expect anonymity, said Arthur Caplan, a professor and medical ethicist at the University of Pennsylvania.

"Anybody who is a sperm donor ought to understand that their identity could be made known to any child that's produced, and they could be seen by the courts as the best place to go to make sure the child has adequate financial support," he said Friday.

According to the trial judge's opinion, Ferguson and McKiernan met while working together and had a two-year affair. The relationship waned by late 1993, when Ferguson convinced McKiernan to act as a sperm donor with no responsibility for any child born as a result, the opinion said.

McKiernan, who has paid up to $1,520 a month in support since losing the case at trial, said he was not pleased with the ruling, but declined to comment further.

Ferguson's lawyer, Elizabeth Hoffman, said there was never evidence of an agreement between the two in which McKiernan would not have to pay any support.

"There was no evidence except his word and her word and it was a matter of credibility," he said.
    When a man donates sperm to a woman so that she can have a child, whether anonymous or not, he should have no obligation to pay for that child. The child is hers, it is her decision, he only donated so that she could have a child. **** verbal agreement, there should be no moral obligation where donation is the subject, period. If you can't care for a child, you shouldn't get a donation in the first place. It's not the donor's responsibility once she finds out that she can't take care of the child. While we should hold each child dear and support it as members of society, I oppose this simply because it has an impact both on donations themselves to women who can support children and the safety of men to be free from exploitation by women who will choose rich donors so they can suck money out of them.

Yet another reason I dislike PA...
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

This is just retarded.
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Yep.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

Serves him right for reproducing.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Unfortunately, from what I hear, PA is infamous for having notoriously woman-biased justices. They simply don't care at all about the rights of the man, and render verdicts such as this that can be financially crippling.

In any case, this ruling while it may sound good to women is in fact a curse in disguise. If it is established that men cannot donate sperm without fear of being hit with a child support payment, men will not donate sperm and women will lose the ability to get pregnant this way should they choose.
          "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Ironically, I'm sitting in Harrisburg right now. This sounds like a candidate for the "Stupid Laws" website, of which PA has some real winners.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I thought all kids were born into nuclear families in Harrisburg these days.

Comment

I was in high school when that started.
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Not so pleasant when you think about it. I was 12 at the time, but I remember it well. It was all over the news for a long time back then.

Comment

The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

How is any different from just unprotected sex that leads to pregnancy?
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                          How is any different from just unprotected sex that leads to pregnancy?
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

How about an answer, alva?
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Now, if this would be from sperm bank, I'd be concerned. But it was just a verbal agreenment. From what we know, they might just have engaged in... uhm, break-up sex, and when the woman informed of the little misshap, the guy quickly made up this story.

Allways write your deals down, word is nothing these days.
                              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Working...
                              X