Top three SF authors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
    Funny, I never really thought of him as a bad guy...

In the realm of Star Wars, Luke Skywalker = Good. Thrawn opposed Luke Skywalker, thus Thrawn = Bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by MosesPresley
      How about J.G. Ballard? I don't think he's been mentioned.
      I'll think you find he has- by me, proud possessor of a signed copy of the original paperback edition of 'The Wind From Nowhere'. Not one of his best, certainly not ranking with 'The Drowned World', 'Crash' 'High Rise', Concrete Island' or 'Vermilion Sands', say.
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Signed first edition, nice.

I often think of "Concrete Island" when I am on the road for an extended period of time as a passenger. I will summarize the plot to whomever I am with and it never fails to raise a bemused chuckle.

I need to read some more his books.
        "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
        —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

• Originally posted by MosesPresley
          Signed first edition, nice.

I often think of "Concrete Island" when I am on the road for an extended period of time as a passenger. I will summarize the plot to whomever I am with and it never fails to raise a bemused chuckle.

I need to read some more his books.
          Try to get yourself an American first edition of 'The Atrocity Exhibition'.

Pretty darned hard:

"When 'The Atrocity Exhibition' was originally printed (1970), Nelson Doubleday saw a copy and was so horrified he ordered the entire press run shredded. Two years later Grove Press brought out a small hardback printing re-titled "Love and Napalm: Export USA." "

Must have been the short story 'Why I Want to F*ck Ronald Reagan', amongst others.....

I also very much enjoyed the collections 'The Terminal Beach' and 'Myths of the Near Future', but I know the American editions frequently have different titles, or a somewhat different sets of stories in them.
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
          X