No announcement yet.

Top three SF authors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You inherently cannot make repeatable tests in psychohistory. That's the nature of the system. It can never be a science.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

I just finished Ringworld about forty-five minutes ago. Excellent

Comment

i'm actually reading foundation now. my only grudge with it is that as soon as a start to really like a character, the story ends and he moves on to the next crisis.
        I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
        [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Psychohistory is an interesting plot device, but as far as reality goes, it is beyond the realm of possiblity. Simply put, there are enough events in history that occured that no one could have possibly forseen. Even looking back with hindsight they seem improbable.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Who knows, with infinitely more powerful computers, mathematics, and billions of worlds to study?

Comment

History only follows general patterns, and they aren't deterministic.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                Yes, it's fantastic. Hell, most of economics is fantastic. The idea that one can accurately model a massively nonlinear system as the behavior of a society is bollocks. Of course, that's not really the point. Believable or not, it's an interesting premise and we're supposed to suspend disbelief.

The real point is that they're not sciences (hard or soft). You can't make controlled, repeatable tests, meaning it ain't a science.
                So astrophysics isn't a science?

It's an observational science, not an experimental science.

In other words, you have to wait for the experiment to come to you instead of setting it up yourself. It's still a science.

Not that I disagree with you on the likely impossibility of predictions wrt a ridiculously complex system like society on anything except the coarsest level and the shortest timescale. The day somebody manages to predict the weather a month in advance is the day I'll start believing psychohistory might be possible.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                  Who knows, with infinitely more powerful computers, mathematics, and billions of worlds to study?
                  Have you ever heard of quantum mechanics or chaos theory?

It's likely that in a large multinonlinear system like society anything except the broadest predictions over relatively short timescales are possible because solutions to the related classical problem are ridiculously unstable wrt initial conditions therefore uncertainty introduced via QM renders meaningful detailed predictions of long periods even theoretically impossible.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

In other words, even if you started two isolated societies with the exact same quantum state (i.e. as perfect approximations of each other as possible) that within a few generations of each other they would resemble each other little if at all. Certainly not to the extent of being able to predict elections etc.

If the system itself cannot predict future results then no model can. Models only simplify.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      It's likely that in a large multinonlinear system like society anything except the broadest predictions over relatively short timescales are possible because solutions to the related classical problem are ridiculously unstable wrt initial conditions therefore uncertainty introduced via QM renders meaningful detailed predictions of long periods even theoretically impossible.
                      Psychohistory doesn't trace out particles, it traces out societies. It can't even predict individuals people's actions.

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                        History only follows general patterns, and they aren't deterministic.
                        You're a bad Marxist

Comment

• Arthur C. Clarke - space odyssey's (2001, 2010 and 2060), Rendevouz with Rama, Rama II

Kim Stanley Robinson - Antarctica, Mars-series (Red, Green & Blue)

Douglas Adams - Do I need to explain this?
                          I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Psychohistory doesn't trace out particles, it traces out societies. It can't even predict individuals people's actions.
                            You demonstrate a fundamental lack of understanding of the difference between a linear system (gas in a box) and a nonlinear system (the Earth's weather patterns)
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Lem, Le Guin, Vance.
                              Lem and Le Guin tend to be more original than most other writers. Lem's favorite themes also appeal to me a lot. Le Guin's Always Coming Home was a little marvel, as ethnology-fiction, but ethnology of people who 'might be going to have lived a long long time from now'.
                              Vance's space operas often have very little science inside but sometimes he wrote things like The Languages of Pao, which explores a linguistic hypothesis and shows what would happen should it be true and one apply it. Most often, his work is just weird characters in a weird world, though, but it's great fun.
                              I would also rate Brin, Van Vogt and Robert Forward as being very good.
                              Clash of Civilization team member
                              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse

You demonstrate a fundamental lack of understanding of the difference between a linear system (gas in a box) and a nonlinear system (the Earth's weather patterns)
                                But I dig what you're saying Dawg, and it's right on!
                                He's got the Midas touch.
                                But he touched it too much!
                                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                                X