Top three SF authors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GePap

One which sets a common story in a future setting- for example, a Romeo and Juliet on Mars. The point of that type of sci-fi is to give a new "twist" to a fundamental human story.
    Simply setting Romeo and Juliet on Mars would not be science fiction. Speculative fiction must contain some elements that are beyond our contemporary understanding of our existance.
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpencerH

Simply setting Romeo and Juliet on Mars would not be science fiction. Speculative fiction must contain some elements that are beyond the our contemporary understanding of our existance.
      Like living on mars?
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
        Actually, I'm a very good Marxist. You just don't understand Marxism.
        REAL marxists are meglomaniacal brutal oppressors, anything else is jus 'marxist lite' and not worth screwing around with. (and they don't eat quiche, either)
        Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
        Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

• I'll admit its tough to define, but simply setting Romeo and Juliet on Mars is not enough. Change the characters to robots, throw in a problem associated with robot life rather than families that are enemies and OK, it passes muster.
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Has anyone mentioned Jules Verne yet?

Comment

• Yes.

Comment

• I never read too much SciFi, but I really loved Jules Verne as a kid. And even today, I still love the setting in which his stories happen. I can only imagine, this high-tech world devoid of computers, where most machines are made of wood and heavy steel.

This "high tech 19th century" has an excellent potential, and would make a great environment for any novel, movie or videogame (Myst draws on it)
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• How about J.G. Ballard? I don't think he's been mentioned.
                  "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                  —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                    Yes.
                    Then I salute whoever mentioned that great man.

Jules Verne, Michael Crichton, all great. Timothy Zahn did an excellent job in the Star Wars universe.

Comment

• Iain M Banks, Julian May, Frank Herbert.

Not that I like all their stuff... but I reckon the quality is consistently high with their output.
                      Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                      "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

• I like Zahn, but I don't think the Star Wars novels are quite enough.

Comment

• Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke.
                          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                            I like Zahn, but I don't think the Star Wars novels are quite enough.
                            Nor do I. Still, he deserves my honorable mention. Thrawn was the uber-bad guy.

Comment

• Funny, I never really thought of him as a bad guy...

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor

This "high tech 19th century" has an excellent potential, and would make a great environment for any novel, movie or videogame (Myst draws on it)
                                Aware of the subgenre of "steam punk"? The basic idea is that much higher technological levels were reached in the Victorian era than in our timeline, but society stayed basically Victorian.

It does contain computers (comparable to ~1950 ones in our timeline, perhaps), but The Difference Engine by Sterling and Gibson is very good.
                                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                                X