Stronger Pot Causes Governmental Policy Shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MRT144
    albert how much is a canadian dollar? like .5 cents?
    Well moving from the states to beautiful BC I have found quite a difference in the way pot is thought of. Here its BC's #1 cash crop, and of course it is the best in the world. Kind bud back in the midwest was getting way too expensive at $300-500/oz. Here it's better and cheaper, I have found it at $140cdn/oz which comes out to about $108us, but everyone here grows it in gardens and greenhouses so if you have a friend you never pay, just smoke it with him.
    The idea of taxing it is great, but when government controls drugs there is always some kind of hassles or kickbacks. I say decriminalize it, and if your caught outside your home make it a $20 nussiance fine.

Comment

• I just think it is strange, that many people can be upset, that "consumer-warez" are refined the way just as ordinary goods are (this and this are HEALTHY, now with vitamins, less sugar and fat (added some chemical stuff instead))…. etc, in a never-ending-story…..

Deep in my heart, I do believe (and no hint to an old song here), that there really is NO difference between the most powerful/important businessmen, the most powerful/important politicians and the most powerful/important criminals.

The motto is for all: Make as big money as possible – no matter what the price is for the “sheep’s”. Use the religion and moral power if necessary – but do not forget the target. Make biggest possible money.

BTW: I have not “tried” smoking Mary-Jane more than once – some 25 years back. And I am a “non-smoker” and have always been…. but then again, I have no problems when others smoke (except poor cigars…. that is TOO much).
      First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

• Prices around here are about 5 a gram for ditch weed, double that for midgrades - decent pot that'll get you high but has seeds still, 20 a gram for kind bud and more than that for specific strains. Of course buying even an eighth can drop those significantly, kind bud drops to about 45 for 3.5 grams, usually around 80-85 for 7 grams, and an ounce shouldn't be bought for more than 300 unless it is the dankest of the dank.

I mean hell, if I pay more than 300 for an ounce, it better get my grandkids high.

Of course the most important thing in terms of drug prices is how many people you know and how well. If you only know one guy with weed and he doesn't really like you, prices could be a lot higher. And friends almost always smoke friends up.

Point is, Albert is right in his own narrow view of the world, and Ming is right in his own general sort of estimate.
        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• so legalizing weed will have little to no effect in the areas hit hardest by drug use, the urban areas, as here, dealers will always be able to win a price war with taxed weed. weed will be notably cheaper and easier to obtain in the suburbs and what not though...

aye... there's the true reason for drug legalization... it's not about a better alternative than the war on drugs in the ghetto... it's about the ghetto staying a ****hole but white people can get their drugs cheaper... and all without funneling money into the hands of the ghetto dealers. instead, the money will go to corporations...

really, why is it that every liberal idea has the taint of racism?
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• JCC's only paying about $40-50US for a quarter. That's about what I paid twelve years ago. Hell, in the summer of 1990, weed was going for $90 a quarter, and that was ditch weed. Supply and demand.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• you're right, chegitz, prices do fluctuate, even by season or by block... and then you add in the whole complicated factor of the quality and it becomes real hard to determine a typical price, hence why i didn't give any local numbers. assuming jimmy gets average ****, he's still paying a bit more than he should be, but he seems to consider it a great deal...
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Albert Speer
                so legalizing weed will have little to no effect in the areas hit hardest by drug use, the urban areas, as here, dealers will always be able to win a price war with taxed weed. weed will be notably cheaper and easier to obtain in the suburbs and what not though...

aye... there's the true reason for drug legalization... it's not about a better alternative than the war on drugs in the ghetto... it's about the ghetto staying a ****hole but white people can get their drugs cheaper... and all without funneling money into the hands of the ghetto dealers. instead, the money will go to corporations...

really, why is it that every liberal idea has the taint of racism?
                Oh, please, Albert. As I said earlier, drugs are expensive BECAUSE they're illegal. Illegal = dangerous to provide = fewer providers = high prices. Yes, it really is nearly that simple.

Legalize pot and the price would drop through the floor as supppliers, including corporate suppliers, flooded the market. Why do you think the tobacco companies have already trademarked names like "Acapulco Gold?"

What's hugely racist is the drug laws we have now. About half of all prisoners in American jails are there for drug violations, I think, and a hugely disproportionate fraction of those are black and Hispanic. Drug laws are responsible for determining the outcome of the last presidential election, as thousands and thousands of potential black voters were disenfranchised -- the legal way, not the illegal Florida way -- simply because they were drug criminals. Here's one of the most dramatically racist situations in the country, and you're reading it exactly backwards.

Comment

• alright how about i throw in a figure... i dont smoke weed as yall know but i contend i can get 2-3 grams easily (i'm friends with dealers) for a dime. now, it'll likely be seeded a bit much, more so than legalized weed but in all seriousness, can a corporation, seeking a profit, and with high taxes, be able to compete with 2-3 grams for ten dollars? i'm really really doubting it...

so you're entire point is moot. legalization will NOT lower the price as the legal price will be taxed heavily and weed is still something that can be grown at home with relative ease so it's easy and cheap to produce.

Comment

can a corporation, seeking a profit, and with high taxes, be able to compete with 2-3 grams for ten dollars? i'm really really doubting it.
                    Easily. You forget that with legalization comes the legalization of production as well. Marijuna production would explode. Right now they have to grow it in out of the way places, without all the scales of efficieny that modern farming can grant. Once farmers are using tractors, and spraying pesticides from the air, the price will collapse in the pot market.

A pack of joints will probably cost no more than a pack of cigs.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

alright how about i throw in a figure... i dont smoke weed as yall know but i contend i can get 2-3 grams easily (i'm friends with dealers) for a dime. now, it'll likely be seeded a bit much, more so than legalized weed but in all seriousness, can a corporation, seeking a profit, and with high taxes, be able to compete with 2-3 grams for ten dollars? i'm really really doubting it...

so you're entire point is moot. legalization will NOT lower the price as the legal price will be taxed heavily and weed is still something that can be grown at home with relative ease so it's easy and cheap to produce.
                      Previously I had not thought you a fool, Albert, but really....

Growing pot is not so different from growing tobacco. How much does corporate tobacco cost, even with taxes representing a large fraction of the price? Why would corporate pot have to be priced much higher than that?

Comment

• considering how the tobacco industry has been over the decades, i'm surprised yall are so willing to trust them with producing what is a more hazardous product.

Comment

• That has nothing to do with whether the price would or wouldn't drop.

Comment

• youre right it doesnt... its another point...

Comment

• A pack of joints will probably cost no more than a pack of cigs.
                              Exactly, pot grows like, well, weeds. If it wasn't for drug laws there'd be no reason for a pack of joints to cost more than a pack of cigs.
                              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

• Given that I trust my health to corporations every day, mulitple times a day, I don't see how this would be much different. It's not like it's all that easy to opt out of the system. Granted, I don't need to injest weed, so that's taking an additional risk, but if it's legal, I could start growing my own.

I could also grow my own food, build my own house, brew my own beer, etc. Some people do. I'm not one of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X