Stronger Pot Causes Governmental Policy Shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stronger Pot Causes Governmental Policy Shift

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Alarmed by reports that marijuana is becoming more potent than ever and that children are trying it at younger and younger ages, U.S. officials are changing their drug policies.

Pot is no longer the gentle weed of the 1960s and may pose a greater threat than cocaine or even heroin because so many more people use it. So officials at the National Institutes of Health and at the White House are hoping to shift some of the focus in research and enforcement from "hard" drugs such as cocaine and heroin to marijuana.

While drug use overall is falling among children and teenagers, the officials worry that the children who are trying pot are doing so at ever-younger ages, when their brains and bodies are vulnerable to dangerous side effects.

"Most people have been led to believe that marijuana is a soft drug, not a drug that causes serious problems," John Walters, head of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, said in an interview.

"(But) marijuana today is a much more serious problem than the vast majority of Americans understand. If you told people that one in five of 12- to 17-year-olds who ever used marijuana in their lives need treatment, I don't think people would remotely understand it."

Jump in pot-related detox
    The number of children and teenagers in treatment for marijuana dependence and abuse has jumped 142 percent since 1992, the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University reported in April.

According to the report, children and teenagers are three times more likely to be in treatment for marijuana abuse than for alcohol, and six times likelier to be in treatment for marijuana than for all other illegal drugs combined.

And it found the age of youths using marijuana is falling. The teenagers aged 12 to 17 said on average they started trying marijuana at 13 1/2. The same survey found that adults aged 18 to 25 had first tried it at 16.

For National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) director Dr Nora Volkow the final straw was a report her institute published in May in the Journal of the American Medical Association showing the steady growth in the potency of cannabis seized in raids.

According to the University of Mississippi's Marijuana Potency Project, average levels of THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, rose steadily from 3.5 percent in 1988 to more than 7 percent in 2003.

Volkow said many studies have shown the brain has its own so-called endogenous cannabinoids. These molecules are similar in structure to the active ingredients in marijuana and are involved in a range of activities and emotions ranging from eye function to pain regulation and anxiety.

Brain cells have receptors -- molecular doorways -- designed specifically to interact with these cannabinoids.

The cannabinoids in marijuana may use these ready-made doorways into brain cells and this is why they cause a high and reduce pain sensations. But Volkow believes the effects may go beyond the general feeling of well-being that most marijuana users seek.

Stronger pot's effect on younger brains
    "I would predict that stronger pot makes the brain less likely to respond to endogenous cannabinoids," Volkow said in an interview. The effects could be especially marked in young brains still growing and learning how to respond to stimuli, she said.

While the research so far is inconclusive, Volkow believes that cannabinoids affect the developing brain and that stronger pot, combined with earlier use, could make children and teenagers anxious, unmotivated or perhaps even psychotic.

As an analogy, Volkow said opiate addicts are more sensitive to pain, as their overuse of drugs have raised the threshold at which the body responds and their own bodies produce fewer natural opiates.

NIDA is seeking proposals from researchers who want to investigate such possibilities for cannabis, she said.

Proponents of legalizing marijuana disagree with the official line. Krissy Oechslin of the Marijuana Policy Project disputes the finding that cannabis products are stronger.

"They make it sound like the THC levels in marijuana were almost nonexistent, but no one would have smoked it then if that was true," she said.

"And there's evidence that the stronger the THC, the less of it a person smokes. I don't want to say it's good for you, but I'll say (more potent marijuana) is less bad for you."

While Walters stresses that drug abusers are patients and not criminals, he hopes to crack down more on producers. And he says, there is a way to go in getting cooperation from local law enforcement officials. "For many in enforcement, marijuana is still 'kiddie dope'," Walters said.

He is quick to stress he does not want to overreact.

"We shouldn't be victims of reefer madness," he said, referring to the 1930s propaganda film "Reefer Madness" that became a 1970s cult classic for its over-the-top scenes of marijuana turning teenagers into homicidal maniacs.
    Legalizing Marijuana and taxing it to benefit the economy, while at the same time regulating it and placing an age limit on it = bad

Cracking down harder on users and producers through spending lots of taxpayer money while forcing people to hide it, giving no money to the government and allowing kids better access to it through schoolyard pushers = good

(The above is the obvious stance of the government)

While I don't completely disagree with certain aspects of what was said above, the policy of the government is not the best option.

Of course, we have to care about young people smoking weed...they might stop smoking cigaretts (which, though are far more deadly, addictive, and smelly than pot, gives taxes to the government and makes the tobacco lobby a powerful group)

Thoughts?
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

legalize everything
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
      legalize everything
      On this we can agree... as long as they tax the hell out of it and set up programs to help addicts.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

On this we can agree... as long as they tax the hell out of it and set up programs to help addicts.

prohibition just doesn't work... it didn't work for alcohol, and the drug war (dating back to what? Nixon?) has been a colossal failure and waste of money. People are going to always get high... the best we can do is tax it and try to help people, that way usage funds the help.

And even if someone doesn't believe that everything should be legal, any reasonable person should believe pot should at least be legal, considering alcohol and tobacco are two substances that are bigger problems.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Dude, if we legalized heroin, cocaine, and pot and TAXED it to oblivion, the national debt would be gone in a couple of years .
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            Dude, if we legalized heroin, cocaine, and pot and TAXED it to oblivion, the national debt would be gone in a couple of years .
            you're probably right...

I don't know if that's a good thing or not.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Now you've done it... I gotta sit through another 30 page essay by Berzerker on why we should legalize pot smoking. Maybe if we copy n' paste one of his previous posts he'll skimski the thread?
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Stronger pot is better for you because you inhale less smoke to achieve the desired effect.
                ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Now you've done it... I gotta sit through another 30 page essay by Berzerker on why we should legalize pot smoking. Maybe if we copy n' paste one of his previous posts he'll skimski the thread?

Just do what I do. Read the thread until he gets here .
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Too risky. He could show up while reading it and then I'll be trapped.
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

If you legalize it, users should be disqualified from medicare. Same for smokers and stuff. I don't want to pay for your bad habits.

Comment

No, just look the username and shut off! Hit the 'back' button... it's your FRIEND!

Comment

drugs are good. mmmkay?

Comment

I agree with Ming - or you can make it legal, establish a boarding house/drug taking facility (think modern Opium den) and supply unlimited amounts while they are inside the facility only. No hazard to those outside (you must stay for x-hours) and self-correcting if you supply a junkie with unlimited quantities of almost anything (pot being one of the very few exceptions). Just to be a devil's advocate.
                            The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                            And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                            Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                            Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                              If you legalize it, users should be disqualified from medicare. Same for smokers and stuff. I don't want to pay for your bad habits.
                              So then, by that logic, you should also disqualify obese people, anorexics and bulemics, people that tan and get cancer, those who get STDs, etc etc etc...smart move
                              "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                              ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                              "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Working...
                              X