Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitting it

Comment

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Open mouth, insert foot, close mouth.

Learn more Korean history at this period first, mmmkay?

The **** has spoken...
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I know what you mean Boshko. I lived there myself 10 years ago. The longer the "peace" is the more people forget why there was fighting in the first place. We have too many short-term thinkers in this long-term world.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
            for example:

ellada kypros palestini
            amerikanos den 8a meinei

(greece cyprus palestine, not one american alive (or left) )

foniades ton laon amerikanoi
            (killers of peoples americans)

aera aera na fygei i holera
            (air, air so that the cholera leaves)

i'm sure they must have tons of those
            That reminds me of one of my favorites:

All Greeks Must Die!
            He's got the Midas touch.
            But he touched it too much!
            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Open mouth, insert foot, close mouth.

Wow. I am floored by this stellar display of amazing logic. Clearly, you have done a superb job of rebutting Kuciwalker's points with devestating logic and compelling evidence. You are a true master of debate.
              "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

So you dispute that South Korea is better off today than it would have been without US intervention? You should learn more about Korean history of this period.

I know what you mean Boshko. I lived there myself 10 years ago.
                Wow, Korea must have been really different 10 years ago. I almost never run into foreigners who were in Korea that long ago (except for one drunk old guy who kept telling me he was wearing "taliban glasses"). Probably no PC Bangs and squat-toilets everywhere I can hardly imagine a Korea where everyone doesn't have cell phones
                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Boshko
                  So you dispute that South Korea is better off today than it would have been without US intervention? You should learn more about Korean history of this period.
                  First of all, there would be no South Korea or North Korea. Just one Korea. Secondly, seeing that how North Korea had better quality of life all the way up till the mid-1970's, I don't see why not.

Less money would be put into military and more into economic development. Also, there is no sign that a unified Korea wouldn't moderate, just like Vietnam and the PRC.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

First of all, there would be no South Korea or North Korea.
                    Right, because the North would've conquered the whole lot.

Secondly, seeing that how North Korea had better quality of life all the way up till the mid-1970's, I don't see why not.
                    Well things changed just a little bit after the mid-1970's. Do you think there was even a slightest chance for a communist Korea to have dulplicated the South's economic boom? I sure as hell don't.

Also keep in mind that the South was devestated more by the war and the North has far far far more useful natural resources than the South and vastly more industry was built there under Japanese occupation.

Less money would be put into military and more into economic development. Also, there is no sign that a unified Korea wouldn't moderate, just like Vietnam and the PRC.
                    Right, life would be better for the 1/3 of the Korean population in the North for those reasons. But life would've been much worse than the 2/3 of Koreans in the South.

I think that even without the destruction of the Korean war, Korean communism would've been a lot loonier than most forms of communism (even worse than Mao's idiocies probably). Just compare it to Cuba, which has had America breathing down its back to decades. Cuba is a model for Latin American literacy, health care etc. While in the North there is rampant meglomania and a form of communism (ÁÖü/Juche) which is Marxism perverted beyond beyond the wildest dreams of Stalin, to the point of combining all the worst qualites of communism and organized religion. Also from what I've heard from someone who's talked to many North Koreans who're working temporarily on the Chinese side of the border is that inequality of the sexes in the North is horrific. The list just goes on and on.

Even ignoring the especially wacky nature of Korean communism, the fact that North Korean communism was imposed from the outside rather than taking control due to its own popularity like in China and thus had less of a social base and the fact that reform probably would not have happened until the death of Kim Il Sung in 1994, which doesn't leave much time for reform to get much done, I very much doubt that Korea could've surpassed China's current $5,000 Per Capital PPP (which is five times N. Korea's), which is less than a third of South Korea.

Also, on my part, I've seen a good number of clips of North Korean kids and the robotic way in which they're forced to act just makes me shudder when I think of my students living under that kind of regime.

And finally, as has been said before its a bit surreal to blame the South and its allies refusal to let the North walk over them for the North's problems.
                    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

As if the US would withdraw from Korea if there were unification. They are there for their own reasons, some bigwig admitted as much a couple of years ago.

I happen to like the Koreans I've met, and their football team did everyone the service of knocking the Italians out of the last World Cup, so cut them some slack.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

First of all, there would be no South Korea or North Korea. Just one Korea. Secondly, seeing that how North Korea had better quality of life all the way up till the mid-1970's, I don't see why not.

Probably the worst case of reality denial since I registered. Right up there with "Tiananmen did not happen. That's #1 and #2, way to go, UR.
                        Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                        Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                        Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

He's developed a specialty for it.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                            As if the US would withdraw from Korea if there were unification. They are there for their own reasons, some bigwig admitted as much a couple of years ago.

I happen to like the Koreans I've met, and their football team did everyone the service of knocking the Italians out of the last World Cup, so cut them some slack.
                            The US is already in the process of moving about a third of its troops out of South Korea, with this already happening its ridiculous to contend that this trend wouldn't be accelerated if there was unification. Especially considering that Korea pays 35%ish percent of the costs of US troops and they wouldn't continue doing this after unificaton, the US would have plenty of reasons to pull out at least the bulk of the troops and not much incentive to keep 'em around.
                            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I UR pwnage.

Comment

Hell everything from numbers, to the cardinal directions is based on Chinese so that the North is working on is as ridiculous as radomly scrapping English words that was coined after 1066 and making up neologisms to fill in the spaces and then fall this preserving traditional English.

English purged of post-1066 vocabulary is known as "Ander-Saxon", after Poul Anderson, who wrote an article on atomic theory in it. Wikipedia article
                                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                                X