Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ouch, why would you want to inflict him on any team?

Comment

I'd be hard pressed to pick a Raider. I'm a Niner Fan... And, since there ain't anyone on that team worth picking, and to stay true to my team, and since Fred Beasley is THE BEST blocker in the NFL.

Last year having 1024 yards rushing for 6 TDs, and 307 receiving yards for 1 TD... while getting just over half the carries for having to share time with Garrison Hearst, and starting only 4 games.

It's a risk, but I'd might as well have Troy Hambrick if I don't stay faithful.

Also, since the Niners don't have a QB to speak of and a few 1-2 year WR he should be seeing the ball quite a bit... and the O-line ain’t half bad either. So...

5. The Flying Monkey Men take Kevan Barlow RB 49ers... and will be praying all season

Can Barlow hold on?
      By Craig Massei, SFI editor
      Date: Jun 29, 2004

Kevin Barlow (edit: how the hell does the Forty-Niner mag. misspell his name? It’s a shame I tell ya!) has grown up. And bulked up, while also slimming down. The 49ers' starting tailback often gave an appearance of the complete package this spring, when he also developed a reputation as one of the team's hardest workers. But there still are a few red flags that could hold Barlow back as he swings for stardom in his first full season as a featured back. "He's aware of that, and we're working on it," running backs coach Tim Lappano said. "We're coaching him hard on that every day."

As far as carrying the load at running back, Barlow is ready. Stronger now from regular weight training even though he has slimmed down to about 230 pounds on his 6-foot-1 frame, there are few lingering questions that he can succeed in the No. 1 rushing role with the Niners.

"The running part? Leave him alone," Lappano said. "He can run, he can catch and he can run around."

It's not the running part that has some people concerned. It's the holding-onto-the-ball part.

Last year, in just 201 carries, Barlow fumbled five times. At least two of those bobbles were killers, perhaps costing the 49ers a victory in their 41-38 loss at Cincinnati in December. Seven NFL running backs had more fumbles than Barlow, but six of those players lugged the football at least 330 times.

There is a notion that Barlow has a fumbling problem. It followed him into the NFL in 2001, and it is something that will follow him around this season until he disprove it.

"Ball leverage is the most important thing right now that he has to work on," Lappano said. "We watch film every day. We make sure any time it's out wide, even if he doesn't fumble it, we correct that, so he's really aware of that."

"I was real proud of him after that Cincy game," Lappano continued. "He could have laid down after that Cincy game where he laid the ball on the ground and cost the team dearly. But (the next week) he came into a cold situation in Philadelphia and ran for over 150 yards and played hard and never laid it on the ground again. I was worried at the time. I was interested to see what was going to happen, how he'd respond. He overcame that, and that has carried over (to the spring). That's something we talk about with all the running backs, not just Kevan, but all of them."

The Niners also had Barlow concentrating this spring on his blocking. That also is a perceived weakness for Barlow in an area where his predecessor, Garrison Hearst, was considered one of the best blocking backs in the NFL.

But, in more than 100 snaps this spring where Barlow had particular blocking assignments, Lappano said "he probably had only one or two busts."

"So we're really pleased," Lappano said. "He still needs to make sure his technique is perfect when he strikes the defender on the blitz. But he knows right now who to block. He's got that down. He understands the keys. He knows who he's going to now, which early in his career he struggled on. But now he's been around and seen enough and learned enough. He knows how to get his guy, now he just has to sit up and use his technique. (Blocking and ball leverage), those two things right now are basically all he needs to do."

Because otherwise, Lappano said, Barlow is ready to explode onto the NFL scene this year as one of the league's elite backs. Those 201 carries last year also produced 1,024 yards rushing for Barlow, including a 5.1 average, which left him sixth among the NFC's leading rushers even though he started just four games.

"Right now, he sees himself as a leader on this football team and I think it's great," Lappano said. "And I think he should be, and I think he can be. He's talented. Nobody's ever questioned his talent. He's got a lot of ability. It won't be surprising to see him have a tremendous season."
      LINK

Can he hold on? - I sure as hell hope so.

I'm predicting he'll smash Eric Dickerson's record of 2,105 (poor little lamb), and make Jamal Lewis look like an old lady in a walker... Can I still say "look at that monkey run?"

Man, I feel like Al Davis... might as well of drafted a kicker
      Monkey!!!

Comment

reismark is on the clock...
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Damn it, Japher, you made my life more confusing when you reached like that... you probably could've gotten Barlow in the second round. Now I have more choices. I hate more choices, because it makes me think too much about those choices.

I'm debating between three guys. I need lunch...
          CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
          Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
          Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
          Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

Damn it, Japher, you made my life more confusing when you reached like that... you probably could've gotten Barlow in the second round. Now I have more choices. I hate more choices, because it makes me think too much about those choices.
            :hehe:

I know, I probably could of gotten him later. Still, I was in the same boat as you are now. Thus, I went with my biggest hopeful and the only member of my team I think will do anything. It may be a waste of a 1st round pick but it made my life much easier and there will be plenty of good players for all the rounds... Especially since ALL of my picks are going to be hopefuls from pretty lousy teams.
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by reismark

I'm debating between three guys.
              So flip a coin.
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I think in a Fantasy draft, choices are a good thing . But yeah, Japher may have been able to get him in the 2nd round. I say may, however.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

But yeah, Japher may have been able to get him in the 2nd round. I say may, however.
                  Oh, don't worry, I gots plenty of bad picks that are going to mess with your benches!

Monkey!!!

Comment

Oh, what I meant was there was a chance I might have taken him in the beginning of the 2nd round . Well, if you are going to put Barlow on your bench... by all means go ahead .
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I'm not going to sit him out... I plan on playing him every week... even the bye!

IMO, it just wouldn't of been MY fantasy team w/o at least one Niner on the team, and know one of you'll will take their dominating D before I can.

So, in the words of Barlow himself, *get out of my face*:

Monkey!!!

Comment

Well yeah, I guess with letting T.O. and Garcia go there is no one else on the 9ers worth starting .

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                          IMO, it just wouldn't of been MY fantasy team w/o at least one Niner on the team[/img]
                          Hey, I can totally sympathize with that. My team won't be complete without at least one Buccaneer. But I waited until the last round last year to get my one Buccaneer - there are still plenty of opportunities for you to grab a Niner as a reserve.

And yes, I've made my decision.

The Kyrandia Dragonhawks select Shaun Alexander, RB, Seahawks.
                          CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
                          Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
                          Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
                          Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

Nice pick.

Zopperoni is on the clock.

Comment

Bugger, I wanted Alexander, o well:

The Afros select Deuce McAllister (RB - New Orleans Saints)

Update the list, you bastards!

1) gjramsey = 7. Ramsey's Razorbacks
                              2) Kalius = 1. Sarlat
                              3) SlowwHand = 12. Dallas Dwarf Tossers
                              4) Tuberski = 4. Billy's Boingers
                              5) Japher = 6. Flippin' Monkey Men
                              6) reismark = 10. Kyrandia Dragonhawks
                              7) Zopperoni = 2. Amsterdam Afros
                              8) Dissident = 8. Vegas Skullsmashers
                              9) -Jrabbit = 9. Cute Little Bunnies
                              10) Berzerker = 11. Berzerkers
                              11) Imran Siddiqui = 5. Georgia Gliders
                              12) Jac de Molay = 3. Fighting Emus

1.1 Priest Holmes
                              1.2 LaDainian Tomlinson
                              1.3 Edgerrin James
                              1.4 Ahman Green
                              1.5 Kevan Barlow
                              1.6 Shaun Alexander
                              1.7 Deuce McAllister

Diss is on the clock.

Comment

I had too many Raider's last year, and needless to say, I finished next to last in a different league.

So if I happen to pick a Raider this season, I think it is a safe bet that I have gone insane.

Comment

Working...
                                X