Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NLRB: Grad students in private universities lose the right to unionize!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And I see that you can always be an ******* if you want... On second thought, you might not have on option in the matter.

So your conclusion is what? Because you consider being a grad student a better opportunity than flipping burgers, grad students ought not have the right to unionize?
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

Assistantships are a REWARD, they are a rare opportunity that students compete for, the equivalent of an internship.

You should be happy that you get paid at all for the experience.

Spoiled brat.
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Yes, clearly only the independently wealth deserve to get a graduate degree.

Self-righteous *****.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

"work study" is just a way for companies to get cheap labor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
            Yes, clearly only the independently wealth deserve to get a graduate degree.

Self-righteous *****.
            True, I'm sure things such as scholarships, grants, loans, and part time jobs, don't exist.
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Scholarships, etc. are for undergrads.

And teaching/research assistantships are the part-time jobs for grad students. That's the point. How are grad students supposed to make a living if they shouldn't even get paid for that?
              -Bokonon

Comment

????

You can still get all of those things as a grad student.

Comment

I've heard of grad scholarships. And Ramo...if you don't have time for a part time job, what are you doing here?
                  "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                  "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                  "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                  "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

And Ramo...if you don't have time for a part time job, what are you doing here?

Where did I say that I don't have a part-time job? I work 20 hours a week, thanks.

Again, I just am saying that I want the right to organize with my fellow employees, and collectively bargain with my school.

????

You can still get all of those things as a grad student.

In physics, my understanding is that's not a main source of funding (or at least, it's not enough to live on).
                    -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                      Lab work, to get their PhD.
                      The research I did for my assistantship and the research I did for my master's thesis were independent of each other. My advisor was contracted to do some research for an aerospace company, and I was then essentially sub-contracted to do the actual research. But, since I was ostensibly working only 30 hours a week (except for the weeks that I worked 30+ hours, of course) and was a full-time student at the same time, I guess I wasn't doing "real" work. I must have been "studying" for, umm, the classes that I was taking that had nothing whatsoever to do with the research I was doing for my assistantship. **** on a shingle, man, where do you get your information from?

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                      An opportunity?
                      Does this argument apply to every non-burger-flipping job, or only to graduate research/teaching positions? In other words, should every union (except perhaps the "brotherhood of burger-flippers", though it could be argued that they should be grateful for the opportunity to be employed in the lucrative career of burger-flipping) be illegalized on the grounds that the job being unionized is better than a job flipping burgers?
                      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

No, but the primary purpose of graduate research is working towards one's graduate degree (even if the research isn't directly related to your thesis, that is why you're doing it).

Comment

No, but the primary purpose of graduate research is working towards one's graduate degree
                          The primary reason I did graduate research was so that I could afford to eat while I was in school.

Besides, if what you say were true, then there wouldn't be such a thing as post-doctoral research assistants.

Comment

No, but the primary purpose of graduate research is working towards one's graduate degree
                            No.

The primary purpose of graduate research is to do the professor's dirty work for him. IOW, get whipped into shape to be a lab technician when you graduate.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Besides, if what you say were true, then there wouldn't be such a thing as post-doctoral research assistants.

But you see, having a post-doc is a priviledge, interning for a permanent position. Their bosses are really just doing them a favor, so they should be required to give fellatios.
                              -Bokonon

Comment

Oh great, I'm agreeing with a communist and an anarchist.

Comment

Working...
                                X