Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NLRB: Grad students in private universities lose the right to unionize!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ted Striker

If you say so Quarterback.
    Fine. Why don't you come demonstrate some of your vector calculus and partial differential equations skills and mark my 301 EM class then? It'll only require you taking about 15 university level courses and a mathematical aptitude well into the top percent of the general public.

Oh, by the way: the job pays about as much as you'd make working at Denny's 40 hours a week. Sweet deal, huh?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse

No, it's paying them to TA and RA. Grad students are the grease that keeps a university running. Without us the classes would go ungraded and the labs would go unstaffed. We've all got undergraduate degrees or greater. We work harder than professors do in teaching, in addition to doing our own research which aids the university's academic standing. We're paid 1/4 or less of what a professor is paid, yet I could easily teach the material that I TA (I'm pretty sure I have a better understanding of it than the prof I TA for does). So bull****. Universities prey on the fact that we're willing to put up with some temporary bull****. Doesn't make it fair.
      Thats bull, you don't teach, you assist, hence the assistant bit in your title. And so what if you know more than your prof does, I probably do too for some of the classes I've been in. Does that mean I am automatically entitles to unionize myself into Smartasses United?

I'm not putting you down, I'd love to be a TA, but recognize that its a BS job.

Comment

• How much work do you think a prof puts into his course every week, Jimmy? Bear in mind that he's taught this course 10 times before and has all of his lecture notes sitting in a binder.

At least in the sciences your profs and your TAs have marketable skills that they could go into industry and make twice as much money (or more) with. So be grateful that they prefer academia and are there to teach your dumb ass. Some of them might even love teaching for the sake of teaching.

So your whining and moaning about how easy TAs have it is a bit laughable.

I don't think I have it particularly hard, but I do think that if I wanted to form a union then I should be able to as much as any other employee should.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
          And so what if you know more than your prof does, I probably do too for some of the classes I've been in.
          You do? That will be... amazing.

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
          Does that mean I am automatically entitles to unionize myself into Smartasses United?
          What kind of logic is this?
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Fine. Why don't you come demonstrate some of your vector calculus and partial differential equations skills and mark my 301 EM class then? It'll only require you taking about 15 university level courses and a mathematical aptitude well into the top percent of the general public.
            not

I couldn't do it. I bet I could go get a bunch of people at your University that could though.

Though, you couldn't come in and do my job either. I am extremly skilled at what I do but I know I'm not irreplacable.

Oh, by the way: the job pays about as much as you'd make working at Denny's 40 hours a week. Sweet deal, huh?
            But you aren't actually working 40 hours a week, and the Denny's job is much more real, demanding work than yours is.
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

So be grateful that they prefer academia and are there to teach your dumb ass. Some of them might even love teaching for the sake of teaching.
              Keep it up Quarterback!!!
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Jesus, I thought this thread was stupid before. Imran, Ted and Imran have made comments that can only be described as retarded. All three of you need to take Reality 101.

Who else is going to do my job? The other handful of grad students who can read philosophical Greek? No, because they are already busy with their own TA work.

An undergraduate student? You must be kidding, right. I'd be willing to bet that there is not one undergrad at my university who could do my job - they simply haven't had the time with the language or the time to read the books they need to in the language.

There's no one else to ****ing do it, but people want their papers graded, lectures given, and tutorials guided. If you want to get rid of TAs then watch fees or taxes skyrocket, and then watch the incompetent boobs you'll get a few years down the line who will have no idea of how to teach a class or grade a paper.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

• "Imran, Ted and Imran"

Philosophy TAs, on the other hand, are completely expendable...
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Striker

Keep it up Quarterback!!!
                    You're the greatest debater I've ever encountered.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Go **** yourself, Johnny Canuck. I've been up for hours.

Philosophy TAs are required, if only to explain to physics TAs what boring and tasteless lives they lead.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Those who can, do physics. Those who can't don't matter.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You're the greatest debater I've ever encountered.
                          He's not trying to have a debate, he's just trying to be an *******.

Keep up the good work, Ted. And, for good measure, wrap around my ass.
                          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

• All this and you're a student. No student makes 30 bucks an hour, no one.... unless you're a TA. And 100 % tuition reduction too.

Holy Crap! That's freaking awesome! I wish we had that deal in college .

Imran, Ted and Imran have made comments that can only be described as retarded

I made one comment (so I've been mentioned more than I've made posts on this thread ) where I said TA can unionize and do all the union things if employers can hire/fire at will. How is that retarded in anyway?

Philosophy TAs, on the other hand, are completely expendable...

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                            X