Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poly Meet, London, Saturday 14th August 2004.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poly Meet, London, Saturday 14th August 2004.

Well there is always a poly meet in the middle of August in London and they always seem to be very popular. I have been talking to Andy and he is keen on coming over once more for a bit and attending one of these, so I have picked a date in the middle of August. So come on, who is up for it?

The venue will probably be The Shakespeares Head, Kingsway - near Holborn tube station. Come on, you know you want to!
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

hmmm. It's a bit close to Reading festival. Lemme check some dates.
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Shakespeare's head? sounds expensive

Comment

Well it is another Wetherspoons pub. But as our previous venue (Moon Under Water) became a considerably more expensive and noisy Lloyds No.1, we decided to move it. Still pretty close to the original place though.
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

weren't there 2 wetherspoons pubs very close to each other? is this the second one?

Comment

There was another Moon Under Water on Leicester Square itself, but it's tiny and packed...
            Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Ditto Iain, the other isn't really suitable, so we have moved in the opposite direction...
              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

I'm going to London in late july or early august to visit the lab I'm invited to work in. It would be nice to have a beer or ten with some of you guys
                The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

That would be cool if you could manage it! This is why August is a really good time for these meets, there are many international poly posters around this place, and few people are booked up this weekend (as it is the week before the bank holiday weekend)
                  Speaking of Erith:

Comment

last time was short before Reading festival too, no?

Comment

Provost: I will almost certainly visit London before august 21; I want to make the job decision as soon as possible as it takes a few extra months to arrange the practical things.

Of course, nothing prevents me from going to London twice
                      Anyway, I will PM you Provost (as you are a fellow molecular nerd ) when I will go there.
                      The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

I'd think 08/14 would be more "middle of August" than 08/21.

08/21 is inconvenient for me, because I have a commitment on the 22nd.

Does this mean that the plan for a Paris-meet is off?

Comment

I'm visiting my boyfriend in Spain from the 15th to the 25th of August, so won't be able to make the 23rd

Comment

Well, since there may be two other qualified bioscience geeks, who knows, maybe I'll make the effort!

Comment

Does this mean that the plan for a Paris-meet is off?

That was my initial reaction too. and
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                              X