Space Elevator in 15 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Elevator in 15 years?

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

and more info on the elevator itself: http://www.space.com/businesstechnol..._020327-1.html

Why so long though? Can't we just do it now so I don't have to be dead by the time space travel gets really exciting?
    be free

Space travel is never going to be really exciting. It takes a long time to do anything and there's no where worth while to go.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

yep, there's a good article about it in the recent Discover magazine (I read it religiously )

The problem is the technology isn't quite there for the carbon nanotubes. They aren't strong enough yet.

Comment

I read that scientists can create super strong nano-tubes that would work for the space elevator, just that it costs 100's of millions of dollars just to create a few meters of it.
        be free

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
          Space travel is never going to be really exciting. It takes a long time to do anything and there's no where worth while to go.
          I know, but I like to be ignorant sometimes
          be free

Comment

the one in the article says they will make it mobile. It will have a mobile platform in the waters off Ecuador. This will allow it to dodge satellites and space junk.

But I had my doubts. There is so much space junk. I would think even a very small object (which NASA does not keep track of objects less than 1 inch) would damage this. But perhaps it won't be damaged.

I think it takes like 7 to 10 days to reach the top (not the top really- but geosynchronous orbit I believe) . I'd be scared ****less the whole time

Comment

I think the elevator idea is just too crazy for policy makers to accept. That, of course, sucks.
              "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                Two words: Free fall.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

It's my ambition to be the first person to fart in the space elevator, giving fellow travellers a 62,000 mile jorney in the company of my foul emissions.
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                    It's my ambition to be the first person to fart in the space elevator, giving fellow travellers a 62,000 mile jorney in the company of my foul emissions.
                    And you're just the man for the job.
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

The idea of a space elevator in 15 years is laughable. Perhaps 50 years. My guess hovers somewhere around 75 or so.
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I dislike intensely those scientists who say they can do what they can't. It makes the science politically unsupportable because it's doomed for failure and disappointment. He's just grubbing money for his project from the taxpayers short-term by telling lies.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

This guy's been reading Red Mars to much.

Comment

Damn... they talking about building an elevator to space... why don't they build an elevator in this house instead

I doubt we'll see it in 15 years... at least double this time...
                            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

i bet an entrepreneur will go out there and collect all the space junk and sell it on earth for lots of money.
                              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Working...
                              X