No announcement yet.

Rumored Changes to Star Wars Trilogy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All your Original Star Wars Movies are belong to us.

Resistance is futile.

We are the Lucas.
    Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

The new musical at the END of RotJ was better, yes. That weird scene in Jabba's Palace is just stupid and detracts from the movie. And minor changes do matter as part of the whole atmosphere. When Greedo did shoot first, it looked so ridiculous that Han didn't flinch or react that my next fifteen minutes or so were spent feeling jarred out of any feeling of involvement with the film or its characters. His minor changes also tend to become major insofar as they manifest the loathsome new faux-disney cutesy-poo aesthetic that spawned Jar Jar Binks. The whole feeling of "New Star Wars" is just off and bad. It's like the recent Star Treks only without the flimsy "science" content for geeks to nitpick over.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

In my opinion, all the CG effects took away from the prequels, and made them feel less real.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
          Friggin' Ted.
          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
          Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
          *****Citizen of the Hive****
          "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

after finishing indiana jones1,2 and 3 and starwars 4,5 and 6 they had to put lucas in a mental hospital or something....KEEP YOUR HANDS OF THE MOVIES! if it gets changed all my action figures of starwars will be wrong.......and i even have the imperial garde
            Bunnies!
            Welcome to the DBTSverse!
            God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
            'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              Interesting perspective you have on contract law

A correct perspective. The executive producer will have power over final edits and/or additions.
              No he doesn't. Again it depends upon the contracts that s/he signed with the director, etc. For example, Quentin Tarantino has final cut (not "final edit") over all his movies, including video and DVD releases, not Lawrence Bender, the Weinsteins, etc. Quentin Tarantino. It was this creative control which allowed QT to decide to split Kill Bill into two parts, which allowed him to stop the production for an entire year to accomodate Uma Thurmans pregnancy.

As a matter of fact, QT is probably the only director given final cut for every movie he has released - RD, PF, JB, and KB... all of them are Tarantino's final (i.e. "directors" cut), which is why you won't find added scenes in the movies when they come out on DVD. Outtakes, yes, but no additional scenes added to the movies (like many Disney films will do with an additional song or three ala "Lion King" and "Beauty and the Beast").
              The director doesn't have the right to have all of his scenes in the movie.

Again, it depends upon the contract. Speilberg, Tarantino, Soderbergh, Zemeckis, all have final cuts on their films - at least, on those films that they properly negotiated (easy to do when your name is Speilberg, much harder when your name is Chris Columbus). Even Jodie Foster had final cut on her first movie, Little Man Tate.

A cast member doesn't have the right to have his scenes in the movie!
              Actors and actresses are not usually contractually granted the sort of creative control that a name director will demand, however when you're talking about your Tom Hanks' and your Julia Roberts', they can stipulate just how much screentime is spent showing their mugs. Again, it's all dependant upon how the contracts are worded.

Regardless, you are so wrong on the final cut issue. If we were having this discussion in the fifties, in the height of the studio system, you'd have a point. But we're not, so you don't.
              Last edited by JohnT; June 16, 2004, 17:43.

Comment

Greedo shooting first is gone for the DVD releases, and many thought the new musical number at the end of RotJ was better. Besides, if that is the best you can come up with, I laugh heartily at you! Such minor things ruin the whole thing!
                Greedo shooting first will remain, there is already leaked footage of how Lucas has altered it for the DVD releases. If the scene was restored for the DVDs, that would be wonderful. However, it will never happen because it would involve Lucas tacitly admitting that he may have been wrong.

For RotJ, I was referring to the number in Jabba's Palace. Though I do miss the Yub-Yub song too.
                http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

"Greedo shooting first"
                  Don't EVEN get me started

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Greedo

yub yub

Comment

They need to change all the guns into walky-talkies.
                      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

I just want to see the damn movies I grew up with. Any changes are undesirable.

Although with DVD technology you'd think it would be easy to make it so you could pick which versions you see.
                        Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Lucas doesn't care about which version you want to see, Garth. That's the point of cutting up the films.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader
                            Although with DVD technology you'd think it would be easy to make it so you could pick which versions you see.
                            How hard would it be to sell one DVD that allows a person to view the original version, or add the 1990's special edition scenes in, or these new (possible) scenes?

Either way, I've still got the original and sp. edition on VHS. I just want to see them in DVD quality.

Comment

Greedo shooting first will remain

Actually it won't. Lucas has said that Greedo shooting first will be removed.

How hard would it be to sell one DVD that allows a person to view the original version, or add the 1990's special edition scenes in, or these new (possible) scenes?

Not hard at all, but Lucas doesn't care. He wants to ONLY release his producer's version.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Greedo shooting first will remain

Actually it won't. Lucas has said that Greedo shooting first will be removed.
                                Do you have a link? I would be delighted if this was true, but it would be tough explaining the leaked footage of the revised scene I have on my HD.

Verto: PM me. I'll hook you up.
                                http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X