Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of, when you think of farmers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of, when you think of farmers?

I've noticed Europeans, perhaps especially Brits, have a less-than-positive view of those who till the soil, while those in North America have a more positive impression. I've been wondering why.

If it's not too much trouble, post what you picked, why, and where you're from.

edit: "family" farms, not "industrial" farms.
    "Thank god I'm a country boy!"
    8.00%
    "The soul of the nation"
    10.00%
    "God's own People"
    6.00%
    "Poor but honest"
    10.00%
    "Hardworking and prosperous"
    24.00%
    "Protectionist SOBs"
    14.00%
    "Inbred hicks"
    10.00%
    "Git orf my land!"
    4.00%
    "Farmers are the Gestapo of the countryside."
    6.00%
    "Old MacDonald had a farm..."
    8.00%
    Last edited by The Mad Monk; May 29, 2004, 08:07.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

I am a European, who moved to the country, so I can actually see farmers, unlike the ~90% who live in cities. In my opinion, most of them are hardworking and moderately prosperous.

Comment

Thanks.

Here are some quotes taken in passing from a thread on another forum, so you know where I got the idea of a difference from:

"And loads of farmers. We all know how farmers are deeply racists in their little piggy hearts."

"Get orf moi laaand!"

"Farmers are the Gestapo of the countryside."

Comment

I spot a quote by me.

Farmers are evil. Trust me on this- I grew up in farming country.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Can a moderator add "Subsidy-sucking harbingers of envionmental armageddon"?
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Where is the "normal people" option?
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I think of food.

But how about "Hardworking and impoverished"?
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                Can a moderator add "Subsidy-sucking harbingers of envionmental armageddon"?
                Actually, I figured that to be under "Protectionist SOBs".

Comment

Where is 'parasitic class that perpetuates myths about itself in order to maintain their subsidy-bloated existence'?

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                    Where is the "normal people" option?
                    I would say either "Hardworking and Prosperous", or "Old MacDonald...", which is doubling as the banana option.

Although...I though you'd be in the "Protectionist SOB camp, for some reason...

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                      I think of food.

But how about "Hardworking and impoverished"?
                      "Poor but Honest".

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                        Where is 'parasitic class that perpetuates myths about itself in order to maintain their subsidy-bloated existence'?
                        See my comment to Laz.

Comment

Subsidized stupid bastards with too much money. Protectionist subsidized stupid bastards with too much money.

/me hates the CAP.
                          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I should also add that when I think of farmers, I don't think of industrial farmers. They are evil. Especially the cattle and poultry farmers.
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Re: What do you think of, when you think of farmers?

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                              I've noticed Europeans, perhaps especially Brits, have a less-than-positive view of those who till the soil, while those in North America have a more positive impression. I've been wondering why.
                              I would think the European concept of farmers to stem from the fact that in most of its history farmers were peasants. Thus leading to looking down on them.

Whereas in North America, farmers were pioneers who went out in the wilderness and not only farmed the land but also defended themselves against Native Americans, weather, and all other sort of diversity. Thus leading to a more respectful image of their ability to survive and adapt.

Personally, I have often wondered why Food Producers haven't formed a Food Cartel like OPEC has done with oil and used it to increase food prices.

OPEC - "We no like your political stance, we are therefore dropping oil production 80%!"

FoodCartel - "Fine, we embarge your sandy butts. No food for you."

OPEC - "WTF? Quick, we must learn to eat petroleum....."

Comment

Working...
                              X